Re: Gingerbread Update for HTC Droid Incredible
stankopp

It is ridiculous that we need to dumb-down our smart phones just to get longer battery life.  Android 2.3 has been out for a while now.  Even my cheap Aishuo TMD mid816 tablet has been updated to Gingerbread.  Why can it be done by Aishuo and not by a giant like HTC?

Though I will never own ANY Apple product, I will think hard and long about changing my brand of smart phone and maybe even my communications supplier when my contract is up.  I do not hold Verizon blameless in this delay in upgrade.

0 Likes
jway320

Received this from HTC today... needless to say, I'm less than happy.

Thank you for taking the time to contact HTC in regards to Operating System upgrades to your Droid Incredible. 

Our goal is to give every customer the best possible experience on every phone. Every HTC phone is a combination of a unique HTC hardware and software experience and a core operating system. We only update our phones if it will provide an overall improved user experience as we balance features, performance and usability. Because of this, we will only be updating certain phones to Gingerbread. At this time, the Droid Incredible is not on that list. 

We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause, and we hope that this does not detract from your enjoyment and use of the HTC Incredible. We deeply regret any dissatisfaction this issue may have caused. As always, we are here to answer any technical questions or concerns you have from 6am to 1am EDST, 7 days a week, or by phone at . You may also visit us at for further assistance, user manuals, and helpful tips.

To send a reply to this message or let me know I have successfully answered your question log in to our  site using your email address and your ticket number {edited for privacy}.

Sincerely,

Stephen

0 Likes
TPat
Enthusiast - Level 2

This is what HTC told me a couple weeks ago:

"Thank you for taking the time to contact HTC regarding this issue. We understand your concern about getting the Android 2.3 Gingerbread update onto your HTC Incredible. We understand the excitement surrounding this update, and we share your enthusiasm!

Here at HTC, we are always working on developing new updates, fixes, and upgrades for all of our HTC phones. Before we release any updates, we ensure that they are the most stable and reliable updates possible. We don't have any information, however, on which updates are being developed for each phone, nor do we have any information regarding the release date of any such updates. We do not give out specific release dates or information on what each release contains to avoid the potential for misinformation if somehow those updates are in any way different than what was announced. We apologize for the seemingly slow, but careful approach we take to upgrading our devices."

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Why am my not surprized although the fiirst Droid from Moto got a accouple updates after it was euthanized from Verizon i guess

the incredible does'nt get this same honor. Well i know what i'll get next year when my contract is up Something 4G an if  HTC

has the New Beats Audio From Dr. Dre on Board look out for one heck of a phone with with some Great Toons Built in i'm Buying.

if the Bionic does'nt pull my attention First.  B33  :smileywink:

0 Likes
Flatworm

As most of you know I have been one of the most vocal and staunchest defenders of the HTC Droid Incredible on these forums.  I can no longer give this product or this company my support.

I contacted HTC after I read that they were not planning to update the Droid Incredible to Android 2.3 "Gingerbread" despite many assurances from Verizon and HTC, and many articles in the technical press, that they were going to do so soon, with the date being pushed repeatedly into the future.  The following is my initial query to HTC's support, their reply to me, and my response.

First, my initial contact:

I have just heard today, to my tremendous surprise, disappointment and anger, that you have dropped all plans to update the operating system of the Droid Incredible to Android 2.3 "Gingerbread."

This stands in stark contrast to information I received numerous times in the past from both HTC and Verizon Wireless, and also contradicts information I have read in the technical press on many occasions.

Could this really be true?  If so, let me express my deep disappointment and resentment, while at the same time giving you my complete and honest assurance that I will never again for the rest of my entire life purchase or recommend any HTC product.  Note that I am a highly respected communications technician and administrator, previously the Internet Services Administrator for NASA Headquarters, and my opinion on these matters is sought out by literally hundreds of other people, many of whom purchased the Incredible solely at my recommendation.

Please tell me that I have been misinformed, because this is unacceptable with my phone still under contract for many months to come.

An HTC support person, "Stephen," responded:

Dear (redacted),

Thank you for taking the time to contact HTC in regards to Operating System upgrades to your Droid Incredible, (redacted).

Our goal is to give every customer the best possible experience on every phone. Every HTC phone is a combination of a unique HTC hardware and software experience and a core operating system. We only update our phones if it will provide an overall improved user experience as we balance features, performance and usability. Because of this, we will only be updating certain phones to Gingerbread. At this time, the Droid Incredible is not on that list.

We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause (redacted), and we hope that this does not detract from your enjoyment and use of the HTC Incredible. We deeply regret any dissatisfaction this issue may have caused. As always, we are here to answer any technical questions or concerns you have from 6am to 1am EDST, 7 days a week, or by phone at 1-866-449-8358. You may also visit us at www.htc.com/us/support for further assistance, user manuals, and helpful tips.

And this was my final communication with this despicable corporation:

This is unacceptable.  I am quite certain that most of the more technically-oriented people who had been pleased with your product will find it similarly unacceptable and will abandon your company's products in their future purchasing decisions, as I will.

While I will stick with Verizon because they provide truly excellent coverage and user support, when my current contract with Verizon runs out next April I shall opt for a product from Samsung, Motorola, or another manufacturer who has shown themselves to be more willing to stand behind their products than you have done.  The HTC Incredible broke new ground for usability, quality, features and convenience.  It is the product that put HTC on the map, so to speak, and your decision to discontinue full support while most of its owners remain under contract is inexplicable to me, and totally, incontrovertibly, and unforgivably unacceptable.  It damages your company's reputation beyond all repair, and I shall never purchase or recommend your products again.

I shall furthermore express my negative opinion of your extraordinarily substandard behavior in this regard as frequently and widely as possible, on Internet forums and elsewhere, in hopes that others do not make the same mistake that I made in expecting you to stand behind your products.  I mean, Gingerbread was released last NOVEMBER, when my phone was only a few months into its contract.  There is no excuse for this.

I am looking forward to April with a feeling of great anticipation for putting HTC in my past for good.

0 Likes
TPat
Enthusiast - Level 2

TamaraH_VZW wrote:

As of 8/8/11, the last update we've received is Gingerbread 2.3 "is coming soon, we'll keep you updated"

This is the latest info from a Verizon employee...

0 Likes
poe_diddley
The Incredible marks my first and last adventure into the world of Android. I made the false assumption that when I preordered this phone before it's release that it would have full support throughout my contract. Every update for his phone has been delayed until after newer products got their update. Heck, I didn't actually EVER get the froyo OTA update, I waited for almost two months, calling Verizon to see when I would get it, all they offered was "u must have missed the prompt for the update-we can't push it out to you, you'll just have to wait till it gets around to you again". I gave in and downloaded the OTA myself because it was senseless to wait on them. Now, I've been waiting how long on gingerbread? And the latest news is that it won't actually happen? How does the evo get it but we don't? It is essentially the same hardware with a bigger screen and 4g. Both had somewhat similar release dates, yet the incredible has been months behind on EVERY update. Why? I guess more folks purchased evos... This is my last Android product. Too much fragmentation equals poor end user experience. Hate if you will, but I can't wait till my next upgrade discount so I can get a new iPhone. Too bad I have to hold off till December and this incredible is no longer a priority for manufacturer/carrier support.
0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
It seems that the support page for the Droid Incredible (1) update to Gingerbread is live. More details in the link.

http://m.androidcentral.com/htc-droid-incredible-gingerbread-update-support-docs-now-live-verizon-we...

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
OnlineTechDude
Enthusiast - Level 3

This confirms what we already were officially told earlier this year that we would be getting the Gingerbread update in the summer.  And here it is.  I had no doubts it would happen, it was just a matter of when.

0 Likes
JoeL_VZW
Verizon Employee

Thanks to the community for the many many responses.

Great News! The Gingerbread Software update for the Droid Incredible is here. Starting today HTC will begin pushing this update out to customers. Please click here to see the benefits of the latest upgrade to the Incredible.

***Update***

This information has changed For the  Software update for Gingerbread. The software update is now listed as "Coming Soon" 

Thank you

0 Likes