Wireless connection to desktop PC with MiFi Hotspot
texasgirl

To Whom it may concern:

I have just installed a MiFi Hotspot.  This worked great wirelessly with my laptop and directly connected to my PC but, when I installed a wireless network adapter to my PC, it didn't work.  I called Verizon and stumped them.  Then I called Linksys (my wireless adapter maker)  and naturally they said it was a Verizon problem.  Verizon called me back to see if Linksys had been any help...which they weren't.  Verizon still could not figure out why the adapter was connected to the Hotspot and the Hotspot had a signal and I could get online on the laptop but not on the PC.   So... Google and I spent 6 hours figuring out the problem.  So, if  I can help prevent anyone else from having to waste a perfectly great Saturday figuring out why their desktop PC won't log on to the internet... here it is:

I finally got an error code when I had Windows check my connectivity...the code was Error 12029.

In Internet Explorer go to Tools.  Then to internet Options.  Then to Connections tab.  At the bottom are the LAN settings.  Make sure everything is unchecked and click ok.  Then reopen Internet Explorer.

I use Internet Explorer and Google Chrome as my Browser.  Those who use a different browser may not have this problem. 

0 Likes
Re: Wireless connection to desktop PC with MiFi Hotspot
sHaY_j
Contributor - Level 3

We do appreciate you for posting this solution about issues you were experiencing with your MiFi. This solution will be helpful to other users who are having similar issues. Once again, Thanks texasgirl!!:smileywink:

0 Likes
bwest

Sorry, but I am new to this forum and have not figured out how to start a new topic for my question. Hopefully, someone can answer it here. I just bought the Verizon MiFi 4510L, but my desktop does not have a wifi card installed at this time. Someone told me to buy an internet adapter which will simply plug into one of my USB ports. I noticed there are adapters of all different prices and speeds. Some list 150mbps, while others say 300, 600 mbps and on up. My question is, does it make a difference which one I buy? Should I spend more money and get the 600 mbps adapter? Or, will the 150mbps adapter work just the same? Will I still get the 3G/4G speeds regardless of which adapter I buy? Any help will be much appreciated!

0 Likes
ClarDold
Contributor - Level 1

bwest wrote:

Sorry, but I am new to this forum and have not figured out how to start a new topic for my question. Hopefully, someone can answer it here. I just bought the Verizon MiFi 4510L, but my desktop does not have a wifi card installed at this time. Someone told me to buy an internet adapter which will simply plug into one of my USB ports. I noticed there are adapters of all different prices and speeds. Some list 150mbps, while others say 300, 600 mbps and on up. My question is, does it make a difference which one I buy? Should I spend more money and get the 600 mbps adapter? Or, will the 150mbps adapter work just the same? Will I still get the 3G/4G speeds regardless of which adapter I buy? Any help will be much appreciated!

The Verizon MiFi 4510L is rated at "LTE: Typical download speeds of 5–12 Mbps and upload speeds of 2–5 Mbps."

It can connect to devices labelled 802.11b or 802.11g or 802.11n.

b is old, and probably not available much any more.

g is sufficient for your needs, with speeds up to 54 Mbps, a lot faster than the cellular connection. is beginning to disappear.

n is the current product line.  Any speed n device is faster than the cellular side of your MiFi.

You can get a device to plug into a USB port on your desktop running Windows or Linux, and it should work with no difficulty.

Walmart has a Dlink for $29 http://www.walmart.com/ip/D-Link-Wireless-150-N-USB-Adapter/12457258

Newegg has a tiny little Dlink http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833127348&Tpk=D-Link%20Wireless%20150%20N%20US...

--

Clarence

0 Likes
bwest

Thanks for the info Clarence! I appreciate it.

0 Likes