Re: Latest update messed up my phone!!
smpoulos

Cody, thank you very much.

In fact what I did when I went to sleep last night was to plug the phone in as one would for 

recharging. When I got up this AM it was powered off and I could start up. 

And I'm embarrassed to say that I may indeed have pressed the Home button rather than the 

Menu button. Does still seem strange that the phone would totally lock up and not even allow powering down.

You will see a response to another helpful person's aid in response to another part of my problems

(still not fixed) in a separate response.

I really appreciate this forum (as difficult as it is to find it on Verizon's site!!).

You all have been great. Still look forward to a response to my previous response re weird stuff at the bottom of 

the screen.

smp

0 Likes
Cody21
Master - Level 2

Most welcome - we're all here to help.

So are you saying that the phone now powers up and down properly?

As far as the Icons & other "Changes" you're seeing, those were all a result of the ne GingerBread release. It changed a bunch of things cosmetically regarding screens, icons, app placement, etc. The APP Drawer is now the far right icon. As you have seen, the Trash can is now up at the top. Frankly, many of us really don't enjoy the "blur" experieince and have gone as far as installing 3rd party Apps that are much much better - things like more customization & control & more screens, etc.  Personally, I use Launcher Pro Plus (although there is a small bug introduced with GB that has been reported to the developer). Others have had good experieince with ADW or GO Launcher .. probably other APPS out there as well. They all offer a Free version for you to try out.  It's all just going to be a learning experience for you to get used to either the new Blur, or learning another APP. If you decide to stick with the default BLUR, feel free to ask questions if you're confused about anything

Good luck.

0 Likes
smpoulos

Thx. I'm taking you up on asking more.

I have looked at and considered many apps but I've tried because of the malware etc. 

issues to download very very little. I think I read reviews in about 10 places before I dare to 

do anything.

So the remaining issue with GB as it stands is what I wrote about in response to another response.

... the things at the bottom may be apps but they don't act like apps--so I can't hold them 

down and get a garbage can. If I hold them down I get a screen called "Add to Dock" with every single 

app in the system listed. That applies even to the one that looks like "Contacts" ; another is the 

"Messages" icon; the third icon is for an app that I downloaded myself "Arrows Keyboard."

This is in ref to 3 icons semi-falling off the bottom of the screen in line with the new Apps link as the 4th 

(and properly working) item.

These icons exist also where they should on various screens as links to apps but what I'm talking about 

here are (visual) dups that are not links. They are garbage and I have found no way to delete them since

when depressed they give that "add to dock" message with a list of all apps in the system.

Sound familiar? Any ideas? I've been through settings/apps looking to delete or stop or  . . . .

They won't interfere with phone use as far as I can see but why are they there? who needs them? and 

most annoyingly why can't I get rid of them?!!

Advice appreciated.

Oh, and yes phone powers up and down.

smp

===

0 Likes
Cody21
Master - Level 2

Ah, I see what you mean ... Well, yea, GB changed all that. The 3 Icons on the MAIN dock (from the Left) are ONLY changeable -- you can long-press any of those & change to a different APP as you wish. The App Drawer (far right one) you CANNOT change. So you can't drag & drop any of those left 3 to the trash can - only modify which AP you wish.  Also, there is a new feature in GB for creating "groups" of APPS in a folder. Personally I have not gotten familiar with that feature as I don't use BLUR as I mentioned before. If you become to not like the BLUR experience, I would definietly check out Launcher Plus (free version) or Launcer Plus Pro (paid), or ADW (which I'm not familiar with).

0 Likes
Cody21
Master - Level 2

PS, not sure if this is of any help but there was in fact an update user guide for GB ... Maybe this will contain help for you.

GB User Guide 

Good luck.

edit: Sorry - that link no longer works ... I'll look around for another oneand post it later.

0 Likes
smpoulos

Ok, I see what you mean. Delete 3 apps from elsewhere and live with having them 

at the bottom of each page. Right. Will do.

Thanks again. [And why didn't I think of that? except that I thought "add to dock" might 

literally "add" and not "substitute/change"].

smp

===

0 Likes
vereyezuhn
Master - Level 3

smpoulos wrote:

Ok, I see what you mean. Delete 3 apps from elsewhere and live with having them 

at the bottom of each page. Right. Will do.

Thanks again. [And why didn't I think of that? except that I thought "add to dock" might 

literally "add" and not "substitute/change"].

smp

===

I was hesitant to use that feature at first too, for the same reasons. But nope, they do indeed "replace" the apps, not add :smileyhappy:

0 Likes
TamaraH_VZW
Verizon Employee

NikkiO wrote:

seriously!?! they're going to send me an old phone for my phone that's less then a year old?!? I feel sorry for the poor customer service rep that will be getting a tongue lashing from me when I get this "new" phone!

I understand you do not want to receive a CLNR (Certified Like New Replacement) however, if you need to get a replacement for a device that you have had more than 14 days, we will replace it for the manufacturer with a CLNR. In this case, it is Motorola.

Please see the Motorola Warranty 

0 Likes
Not applicable

Hi everyone!

I'm glad to see such an active thread. Not so glad that Droid X users have been having issue with the Gingerbread update. I use a Droid X as a secondary phone and I've used it more since GB. I love the enhancements!

Google and device manufacturers are always looking to improve, tweak and iron out the Android operating system. Our product team has advised us that Motorola is working hard on getting the next software patch to the Droid X. Their dedicated software team works diligently to get the updates to the users as quickly as possible.

Thank you for your patience!

0 Likes