LG Revolution- Can u change the default search engine?
addysdaddy
Contributor - Level 1

Is it possible to change the default search engine from Bing to Google?  Ideally when I hit the search button, the phone would use Google.  Obviously I can place the Goog App on the home screen but it would be more elegant if this wasan easy fix.   If your not able to do it within the phone preferences, would something like Zeam Launcher able to acocmplish this?  Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: LG Revolution- Can u change the default search engine?
Wildman
Legend

Simple answer, No.  Since Bing was installed on the device it would always try to use it as a default search option, other than the methods that you spoke of the default setting is to use Bing because they set a agreement when the manufacturer and service provider made this decision.

Unless a option is added to disable the Bing applications the system will continue to try to use it..

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

Simple answer, No.  Since Bing was installed on the device it would always try to use it as a default search option, other than the methods that you spoke of the default setting is to use Bing because they set a agreement when the manufacturer and service provider made this decision.

Unless a option is added to disable the Bing applications the system will continue to try to use it..

0 Likes
addysdaddy
Contributor - Level 1

Thanks for the quick response Wildman, figure as much.  A little tweak here & there with Zeam Launcher and my daughter should be good to go.  Appreciate the help.

0 Likes
webdon
Enthusiast - Level 3

I just put the Google search widget on my home screen. Works fine. Default browser will change if you download a new one like dolphin and respond "yes" when asked. I recommend it. The default browser is about the worst security risk I've seen since the '90's.

addysdaddy
Contributor - Level 1

Did not think of that - awesome suggestion.  I'll give that a try wedbon.  Not sure I see the benefits to a new browser but it's one of those things that's best not seen & not heard from.  lol.  I simply hit Google search and type in what I want.  Obviously it's using a browser but it's much less obtrusive on a smart phone then on a computer.  But again, wonderful idea.  My daughters out tonight but will try it tomorrow and report back.  

0 Likes
comatt303

I'm new to the Android phones and I like the Dolphine browser better than the stock one too. 

0 Likes
addysdaddy
Contributor - Level 1

What about the Dolphin browser to you find "better?"

0 Likes
webdon
Enthusiast - Level 3

Two main things come to mind. When you are on a secure page and sign out, like at a bank, you should not be able to go "back" with the browser to the logged in page. That is a big no no. Had it happen with the stock one. It also does not seem to support some of the newer browser features that many websites use.

There are other things, but I can't remember off the top.

The other two main browser companies use the underlying technology in the OS I am guessing, but put some useful stuff on top. A handy feature of Dolphin is the ability to make screen gestures to do things. Swiping a big M on the screen will save a bookmark.

Opera is the second I tried. Nice, but a tad clunky I thought. I'll probably go back and forth for a while.

Once you load a new browser and you do something like the Google search one time, the phone will ask which browser to use and give you the ability to set defaults. It can always be undone later.

0 Likes
addysdaddy
Contributor - Level 1

Okay, sounds terrific and I didn't realize that the when leaving a secure site that the browser doesn't automatically disconnect you, even if you don't exit.  Like u said, that's not good.  Going to give Dolphin a try for sure and thanks once again webdon.

0 Likes