Iphone 4 won't activate after factory restore? help, please?
swells

I did a restore on my iphone 4 earlier. This is the first time I have ever done a restore-I have only had this phone for about 2 weeks. However, I was having battery problems so I chose to restore.

It went through the entire process and even came up the "activating, this may take some time" or whatever screen. It said that it had synced and it was okay to disconnect. Now, however, I have no service at all, it says that the network is unavailable, and it keeps popping up and saying that it is not activated and if it continues to call some 1800 number. It is connected to my wifi, however.

Do I have to call the *228 number or something, like I did when I first got it? Or what? I'm really confused and frustrated...I just want my phone to work.

16GB

Software: 4.2.10

Iphone 4

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Iphone 4 won't activate after factory restore? help, please?
mikedamirault
Contributor - Level 3

swells wrote:

I did a restore on my iphone 4 earlier. This is the first time I have ever done a restore-I have only had this phone for about 2 weeks. However, I was having battery problems so I chose to restore.

It went through the entire process and even came up the "activating, this may take some time" or whatever screen. It said that it had synced and it was okay to disconnect. Now, however, I have no service at all, it says that the network is unavailable, and it keeps popping up and saying that it is not activated and if it continues to call some 1800 number. It is connected to my wifi, however.

Do I have to call the *228 number or something, like I did when I first got it? Or what? I'm really confused and frustrated...I just want my phone to work.

16GB

Iphone 4

swells wrote:

Oh, and on itunes my phone number is now listed as "00000000" and a few other numbers instead of my actual phone number.

That "00000000" number thing could be the issue, I have never activated my iPhone over iTunes (mine was preactivated when I got it), but it sounds to me that when/if iTunes goes to "activate" the phone, iTunes could be telling your iPhone that 00000000 is your actual phone number, so the iPhone self activates it thinking that is your actual number, so when that number doesn't match up with any number on Verizon's servers, it fails activation (while many may say that iTunes "activates" the phone, I am pretty sure that iTunes just forwards that information to the iPhone and automatically does the "*228" activation on it's own based on the information entered into iTunes)

I would say yes, go ahead and try *228 opt 1 and see if that works, or see if you can change the number to your real number in iTunes

View solution in original post

0 Likes
swells

Oh, and on itunes my phone number is now listed as "00000000" and a few other numbers instead of my actual phone number.

0 Likes
mikedamirault
Contributor - Level 3

swells wrote:

16GB

Iphone 4

swells wrote:

That "00000000" number thing could be the issue, I have never activated my iPhone over iTunes (mine was preactivated when I got it), but it sounds to me that when/if iTunes goes to "activate" the phone, iTunes could be telling your iPhone that 00000000 is your actual phone number, so the iPhone self activates it thinking that is your actual number, so when that number doesn't match up with any number on Verizon's servers, it fails activation (while many may say that iTunes "activates" the phone, I am pretty sure that iTunes just forwards that information to the iPhone and automatically does the "*228" activation on it's own based on the information entered into iTunes)

I would say yes, go ahead and try *228 opt 1 and see if that works, or see if you can change the number to your real number in iTunes

0 Likes
jwruck

I'm having the same problem and I've gone to the verzion website to reactivate it but nothing seems to be working. I have no way of calling verizon since my phone isn't working. So frustrated right now!

0 Likes
mikedamirault
Contributor - Level 3

Do you have access to the Home screen or are you still at the "Connect to iTunes" screen?

If you can access the Home screen, select the green "Phone" app and select Keypad, dial *228 and wait for the prompt, the promt will tell you to dial 1 to activate/program the phone or to dial 2 to update your PRL, select 1, it will then ask you to enter your 10 digit Verizon cell number, enter it as asked, then it will then ask you to type the last 4 digits of your SSN (this is to make sure it is you), enter the 4 digits as asked, then wait for activation to complete, you should hear a message saying the activation is complete along with a message on the screen saying the iPhone was just activated, the call should then disconnect on it's own, tap OK (or whatever it says) to return to the Home screen, the iPhone should then be ready to use

If you are still on the "Connect to iTunes" screen, try reactivating it through iTunes, if that doesn't work, if there is an "Emergency Call" button, tap it, then a keypad should come up (only Verizon service numbers and 911 will work), I am not 100% sure, but you should be able to dial *228 from that keypad to activate the iPhone

0 Likes
AntonioC_VZW
Verizon Employee

swells wrote:

Hi swells,

I trust that your iPhone has been activated by now. As indicated by mikedamirault (thank you!) You should be able to activate your phone by dialing *228 option 1 and follow instructions. Please keep in mind that if this activation method fails, you will be transferred to our customer service department and a representative will personally assist you with the activation of your phone.

ChristinaB_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hi Swells, 

Since posting, have you been able to use the device? I would recommend *228 option 1 if you are still experiencing this issue.

Please post back with any updates, so we know if your issue is resolved, or if further assistance is needed.

Thanks very much! 

0 Likes
cody_kirk

you cant call *228, emergency calls only, any other suggestions?

0 Likes