Backup Assistant Scheduling
Gfirst

I have an LG Cosmos 2 phone and have used Backup Assistant to transfer my contacts to the new phone.  The Backup Assistant is scheduled to backup automatically.  My contacts change infrequently, so I don't need the Backup Assistant to constantly check to see if my contacts have changed.  If they do change, I can back them up manually.  How do I prevent Backup Assistant from scheduling a backup automatically?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Backup Assistant Scheduling
AnthonyTa_VZW
Verizon Employee

Thanks tojeza for the feedback and suggestions!

Gfirst, I would like to confirm what tojeza has already mentioned.  Backup Assistant is a free application Verizon Wireless offers to customers for backing up contacts and this application runs daily to backup any changes as well.  The only way to stop the application from syncing daily would be to uninstall it totally, however, I am including instructions for setting the daily schedule.  I, too, have mine set for "Late Night" so that it backs up when I am asleep, and I never notice a thing.

Set Schedule - Backup Assistant - LG Cosmos 2 VN251

I hope we have answered your questions and concerns!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
tojeza
Enthusiast - Level 2

Why wouldn't you want backup assistant to do this for you?  My list of contacts doesn't change but for once or twice a year, but I still let the assistant do its job because I would never remember to run it manually.  Its a free service and offers me at least, peace of mind in case I do lose my phone.

If you leave your phone on all the time, just set it to run at night when you don't use your phone.

0 Likes
AnthonyTa_VZW
Verizon Employee

Thanks tojeza for the feedback and suggestions!

Gfirst, I would like to confirm what tojeza has already mentioned.  Backup Assistant is a free application Verizon Wireless offers to customers for backing up contacts and this application runs daily to backup any changes as well.  The only way to stop the application from syncing daily would be to uninstall it totally, however, I am including instructions for setting the daily schedule.  I, too, have mine set for "Late Night" so that it backs up when I am asleep, and I never notice a thing.

Set Schedule - Backup Assistant - LG Cosmos 2 VN251

0 Likes
mommy38

I have samsung reality and went online the other night, and did a manual backup and half of my contacts were deleted? There was no apparent reason for this, my immediate contacts were gone! Any ideas on this?

0 Likes
Gfirst

Thanks Tojeza and AnthonyTa_VZW for your replies.

I do have the Backup Assistant scheduled to backup "Late Night".

However, every morning when I click on a button, it comes out of standby mode and I get a message saying that it's checking for updates or changes.  It's fine if it backs up at night.  I just don't want it to do it when I check my phone in the morning.

0 Likes
MrFrank
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just got my second LG Cosmo 2 and am having the same problem noted by others.  I was told by a customer service rep to take my phone back to a local store and exchange as the backup assistant problem I am having will be resolved.  Well it did not resolve...read on.  The first time I go to use the phone in the morning Backup Assistant is checking if changes to my directory have occurred.  You have to unlock the phone to let it complete or you hit end to cancel the update.  I have worked with customer service to fix the problem with no success.  We have deleted backup assistant, which apparently re-installs automatically when you access "Apps".  One customer service agent told me to change my schedule from midnight to some other time in the day as sometimes the Verizon systems are not available from midnight to 6 am.  I am totally frustrated with this annoying issue every morning and especially if you are in a hurry to answer or make a call.  Seems to me  the backup assistant application could have a schedule option of "off" or "manual" so that this problem goes away.  Let the phone user determine how they want to manage their directory backups.  I've been in the software business for over 30 years and backup assistant is just poorly designed and it is proven by the numerous complaints similar to mine.  It would be so simple to fix with a software update and stop a lot of wasted time in this forum or unnecessary calls to customer reps.  It anyone has a solution please let me know. Thank you much.

jendfaz
Enthusiast - Level 1

Like MrFrank and the original poster, I am so frustrated with Backup Assistant and the fact that there is no way to either halt automatic updates or delete the application altogether. I've dealt with two "customer service" reps via email to no avail and had planned to visit a Verizon store. But based on MrFrank's experience, I'll probably skip it. Why can't Verizon fix this issue? I had no idea that by downloading this program I would be at its mercy for life. Ridiculous. Poor, poor planning, Verizon. Please fix. Thank you.

ajengel

"Why wouldn't you want backup assistant to do this for you?"

Because I can't afford a data plan and every time backup assistant opens and tries to auto-sync, it costs me money that adds up at the end of the month.  I'd really like to know how to totally uninstall backup assistant or to stop it from automatically syncing.  I tried deleting the app from my phone, but it automatically regenerates.  Please help?

0 Likes
omgu812
Enthusiast - Level 2

0 Likes
omgu812
Enthusiast - Level 2
AnthonyTa_VZW wrote:

Backup Assistant is a free application Verizon Wireless offers to customers for backing up contacts and this application runs daily to backup any changes as well.  The only way to stop the application from syncing daily would be to uninstall it totally, however, I am including instructions for setting the daily schedule.  I, too, have mine set for "Late Night" so that it backs up when I am asleep, and I never notice a thing.

Another example of really poor customer service!

The above information is incorrect as there is no way to successfully delete Backup Assitant.

I am very frustrated with this really stupid application and the way Verizon does nothing to fix it.

User beware!!! If you have no data plan Verizon charges you even though it is suppose to be free.

Thier solution is to Block Data. So what if I want to use VZ Navigator or something else?

I have tried in vain to get a solution from Verizon several times for the past couple of months.

0 Likes