Re: CDMA Phones
XtremeBerry
Contributor - Level 3
Not everything with VZW is in black and white. There is a gray area and you are talking about riding it.
0 Likes
NukeMech

Here is the phone section from the user agreement.  It only says any device.

Your Wireless Phone

Your wireless phone is any device you use to receive our wireless voice or data service. It must comply with Federal Communications Commission regulations and be compatible with our network and your Plan. Whether you buy your wireless phone from us or someone else is entirely your choice. At times we may change your wireless phone's software, applications or programming remotely and without notice. This could affect data you've stored on, the way you've programmed or the way you use your wireless phone. If you purchased a wireless phone (other than a "global phone") from Verizon Wireless for use with a plan with a minimum term and want to reprogram your phone for use with another wireless carrier network, the default service programming code is set to "000000" or "123456." Verizon Wireless in no way guarantees that your Verizon Wireless phone will be capable of being reprogrammed for use with another wireless carrier network after the service programming code is entered, or that another wireless carrier will accept your device for use on its network.

0 Likes
nmchileman
Master - Level 3

"It must comply with Federal Communications Commission regulations and be compatible with our network and your Plan.Whether you buy your wireless phone from us or someone else is entirely your choice."

You assume too much from this sentence. This only implies that it's possible to activate a non-vzw CDMA device. It doesn't imply that they're required to or will allow you to at all. As I said, it's at Verizon's sole discretion to activate a non-vzw device. So it's not contractually binding.

0 Likes
Dizavis
Yeah, I'm sure the argument would be made that a Sprint / Alltel phone is not compatible with VZW network or plans, as they're not "out of the box" Who knows though.
0 Likes
NukeMech

None of this matters to me anymore.  I ended u p getting a NIB VZW-8330 off ebay for 192.50 shipped.  I tried the refurbished phones without much luck so hopefully this one will be good to go. 

0 Likes