iPhone 4 'Full Retail Price"
andersenl

Why is it that Verizon claims the iPhone 4's full retail price at $649 and $749 and the "discounted" prices at $199 and $299? The standard retail price for an iPhone 4 is $199 and $299. I can walk into any Apple store and pick up a 32gb iPhone 4 for $299 right now. So, why is this considered a "discounted" price by Verizon when, in actuality, I'm not getting any discount on it at all?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: iPhone 4 'Full Retail Price"
droid-geek
Enthusiast - Level 3

andersenl wrote:

Why is it that Verizon claims the iPhone 4's full retail price at $649 and $749 and the "discounted" prices at $199 and $299? The standard retail price for an iPhone 4 is $199 and $299. I can walk into any Apple store and pick up a 32gb iPhone 4 for $299 right now. So, why is this considered a "discounted" price by Verizon when, in actuality, I'm not getting any discount on it at all?

I'd like to see you go into ANY official Apple store and purchase an iPhone 4 OFF contract for the $199/$299 price.  You "may" want to read a little closer when you are viewing those prices.

Feel free to go to http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_iphone/family/iphone and look at the little numbers beside the prices.  You should see a "2", and when you scroll DOWN the page, you will then see this:

2. Requires new two-year wireless service contract, sold separately to qualified customers; credit check required; must be 18 or older. The iPhone model you purchase is configured to work only with the network technology of either AT&T or Verizon Wireless, as specified, but not both. Customers who want to upgrade from another phone or replace an iPhone 3G or iPhone 3GS should check with their service provider for pricing options or visit www.apple.com/iphone/buy. For those who are not qualified customers, are not eligible for an early upgrade, or wish to buy iPhone as a gift, the prices are $449 (8GB), $649 (16GB), or $749 (32GB). In CA, MA, and RI, sales tax is collected on the unbundled price of iPhone. Service may not be available in all areas or at the signal strength, rates, speeds, or bandwidth as demonstrated. Wi-Fi Internet access required for some features; broadband recommended; fees may apply. Some applications, features, and services are not available in all areas. Check with your service provider about network coverage in your area and international roaming options. Features vary by carrier. Warranty information available at www.apple.com/legal/warranty/iphone. When available, transferring your mobile number to a different service provider will terminate your service with your existing provider; termination fees and other charges may apply. Some features may require added fees. Contact your service provider for more details. Use constitutes acceptance of Apple’s software license agreement and third-party terms located in the iPhone box. Unauthorized modification of your iPhone software violates the software license agreement. Inability to use an iPhone due to unauthorized modifications is not covered under your warranty.

Pay special attention to the prices I've highlighted in red.  Looks like their prices ARE correct.... and you are in(correct).

View solution in original post

0 Likes
droid-geek
Enthusiast - Level 3

andersenl wrote:

I'd like to see you go into ANY official Apple store and purchase an iPhone 4 OFF contract for the $199/$299 price.  You "may" want to read a little closer when you are viewing those prices.

Feel free to go to http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_iphone/family/iphone and look at the little numbers beside the prices.  You should see a "2", and when you scroll DOWN the page, you will then see this:

2. Requires new two-year wireless service contract, sold separately to qualified customers; credit check required; must be 18 or older. The iPhone model you purchase is configured to work only with the network technology of either AT&T or Verizon Wireless, as specified, but not both. Customers who want to upgrade from another phone or replace an iPhone 3G or iPhone 3GS should check with their service provider for pricing options or visit www.apple.com/iphone/buy. For those who are not qualified customers, are not eligible for an early upgrade, or wish to buy iPhone as a gift, the prices are $449 (8GB), $649 (16GB), or $749 (32GB). In CA, MA, and RI, sales tax is collected on the unbundled price of iPhone. Service may not be available in all areas or at the signal strength, rates, speeds, or bandwidth as demonstrated. Wi-Fi Internet access required for some features; broadband recommended; fees may apply. Some applications, features, and services are not available in all areas. Check with your service provider about network coverage in your area and international roaming options. Features vary by carrier. Warranty information available at www.apple.com/legal/warranty/iphone. When available, transferring your mobile number to a different service provider will terminate your service with your existing provider; termination fees and other charges may apply. Some features may require added fees. Contact your service provider for more details. Use constitutes acceptance of Apple’s software license agreement and third-party terms located in the iPhone box. Unauthorized modification of your iPhone software violates the software license agreement. Inability to use an iPhone due to unauthorized modifications is not covered under your warranty.

Pay special attention to the prices I've highlighted in red.  Looks like their prices ARE correct.... and you are in(correct).

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

I wish I could give you more than 1 kudos

0 Likes
24c
Contributor - Level 1

Tidbits wrote:

I wish I could give you more than 1 kudos

I added one for you. ALWAYS read the fine print.

0 Likes
droid-geek
Enthusiast - Level 3

Actually, I would rather that they start referring it to subsidized price instead of "discounted".  Discount does infer that it is cheaper than other places - and as we know, it is not.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

droid-geek wrote:

Actually, I would rather that they start referring it to subsidized price instead of "discounted".  Discount does infer that it is cheaper than other places - and as we know, it is not.

how many people understand what subsidization is?

I know a lot of people I've talked to about subsidization whether political or commercial and they always asked what that "word" meant.

Yes it is cheaper...  As you can see buying it without a contract yields a higher price...  With contract it's "cheaper".

0 Likes
basshunter

$199 and $299 is for a new person two year contract.. or adding a new line

prices $649 and $749 if you want to buy the phone out right

0 Likes
galadali

All I know is I got mine in white when negotiating my contract at an amazingly low price. Kudos to Verizon on this one..

0 Likes
Squallfyr
Contributor - Level 3
Oh its $199 full retail? I thought they meant $1.99 o.0
0 Likes
Missy_Bell

Unless I am missing something, I seem to agree with the original poster in that the price does not seem to be discounted at all.

Excuse my ignorance but if you are agreeing to another two year contract (whether getting a new line or upgrading), isn't that considered NEW?  

0 Likes