Standalone GPS Services Message
pat3332
Contributor - Level 2

Ever since the latest OTA update, every time I turn on GPS, a message window pops up telling me that I am enabling access to all location information by any third party through the web, software, or any peripheral conponents you install, download, add or attach to the device blah, blah, blah and something catastrophic may happen if I continue to leave Standalone GPS Service open.

Is there any way to keep this message from popping up and trying to scare the bejesus out of me? I know I have Standalone Services turned on and I intend to continue taking the risk of leaving it on, so is there any way to make this warning stop popping up every time I turn on my GPS?

This is the only problem I have with my TBolt, but this warning is getting on my nerves.

Thanks

0 Likes
Re: Standalone GPS Services Message
Dnakaman
Contributor - Level 1

Yes, the next time it pops up, if you look at the bottom of the pop up window, there is a box to check that says, do not show this next time.

Hope this helps.

0 Likes
pat3332
Contributor - Level 2

I thought the same thing, but there is no check box at the bottom of the message window giving me that choice. All I have is OK and Cancel. I get the same message if I go to Settings/Location/ and check the Standalone GPS Services check box, but still no checkbox in the message window to tell it not to show the message in the future.

I've restarted the phone several times. I havent't pulled the battery, but I'm not sure what that would have to do with the messages.

Anyone have any other ideas aside from calling tech support? I am not doing a factory reset to get rid of this message. The last one HTC had me do wasn't that much fun.

Thanks

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

Why not just leave it checked?

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
I am wondering the same thing. Can you leave the GPS on all the time?

I used to not keep the gps on all the time with my Eris, but I leave it on with the Tbolt.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
pat3332
Contributor - Level 2

I do leave it checked. The problem is that I get the message every time my GPS is turned on. All I meant was that I get the same message every time when I check it in the settings and also every time my GPS is turned on  from the home screen.

The problem is that I'm playing with one of those phone finding apps that lets me control the phone from their website if it is lost or stolen. I can turn on the GPS remotely from the web site, but I'd rather not have the message pop up, alerting who ever may have stolen my phone that the GPS is on and tracking them.

pat3332
Contributor - Level 2

Hi Ann;

I also usually leave the GPS on since I understand that it doesn't use your battery unless you have an app accessing it, but the problem is that the first thing a thief is going to do is turn off the GPS and I like being able to turn it on remotely without immediately alerting them that it's back on. I could leave Standalone GPS unchecked, but I seem to get better location results if I have both the Google Location Services and Standalone Services turned on. VZW Location Services is never turned on.

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

pat3332 wrote:

I do leave it checked. The problem is that I get the message every time my GPS is turned on. All I meant was that I get the same message every time when I check it in the settings and also every time my GPS is turned on  from the home screen.

That's because it does the same thing.  The widget turns standalone gps off and on just as the checkbox in settings.  You can just delete the widget and leave it on and any effects on battery life should be negligible.

Edit:  Looks like your second post clarified the issue.  Your giving the thief too much credit.  :smileyvery-happy:

0 Likes
pat3332
Contributor - Level 2

Thanks, I didn't realize the widget controlled the Standalone services. Does it have any other useful function? If not, it looks like I don't need that widget. I also discovered that there are two messages. One when you click on the Standalone services and one that comes on after you restart your phone. The one that comes on after the restart is the one that gives you the "Never Warn" button.

I agree that I may be giving them too much credit, but I'm assuming that there may be some that can read and possibly notice that pop up window once the drugs wear off.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
I remember reading something that Verizon had changed the system on one of the devices to always have a popup like this for the GPS everytime it was turned on. The change occurred because of user complaints if I recall correctly. For the life of me, I can't think of where I saw it information. It would have been androidcentral.com or droid-life.com since those two I follow more closely. It is possible that the message occurs on all the devices now.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes