"Unable to authenticate your phone" message when making calls
Reth

This evening when I was on my way out of work, I got a voicemail message, and when I went to check it I was met with an automated message saying, "I'm sorry, but we're unable to authenticate your phone."  I was instructed to try again later, and if that didn't work to try dialing #8899.  I tried again a moment later, same thing, but I was in a hurry so I didn't pay any mind.  I was able to send text messages and access mobile web like normal; however, when I tried to call my boyfriend a couple hours later, I received the same error message.

I've tried a number of things to fix it: taking the battery out with and without the phone being on, dialing *228 to program the phone and to update my roaming capabilities (I'm not roaming, by the way; I've got our bars and there's no roaming icon on my display), verifying that my settings should be letting calls through.  I'm wary of attempting a hard reset, because I have quite a few contacts on my phone I'd like saved and no way to temporarily store them short of writing them down manually.  I'm also wary of trying to contact the support line since it's currently 3AM and I've had bad experience calling support for various phone companies.  If there's no other way I'll try either of these methods, but I was wondering if there might be another way to fix this myself.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: "Unable to authenticate your phone" message when making calls
Not applicable

Reth,

Hi there! If still not resolved, please PM me your name and mobile number so I can correct this for you.  Do not go through a hard reset.

Thank you!

0 Likes
flowmage

I'm having the same issue on my Incredible for the second time in a month, always right after a reboot. Here's the info from the call and text errors, if that helps:

Calls:
Unable to authenticate your phone.
Annoucement: 11
Switch: 4182-4

SMS Error:
Cause Code: 1
Error Class: 3

*228 didn't work, though I was suddenly able to recieve texts *while* the programming went on. Any ideas on what to do next?

0 Likes
coltonharris13

Im also having a similar problem. I did a data wipe on my phone, just to start fresh. Restarted the device and tried making a call and it said " im sorry we are currently ubable to authenticate your device" or something along those lines. I tried *228 with no luck. Any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

0 Likes
TominqueBo_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hello coltonharris13,

I can assist you.  After the wipe did you ever successfully activate the phone?  If so, try dialing #832 send and wait for a message that states test call successful.  If you are not successful or unable to even activate please PM me with your name and mobile number so I may further assist.  Thank you.  

0 Likes
trtidwell

My Droid Incredible has been doing the same thing all day today.

0 Likes
mommaharley

I had the same problem after a hard reset.  It said that the programming was complete, but when I called to check it said that my phone is not authenticated.  Any solutions?

0 Likes
dglisky

Adam, I am having the same issue with my Droid Incredible.  I cannot make calls out, just says unable to authenticate phone when i try.  Please help!

0 Likes