switch from ATT to Verizon - phone number
blueskies

I'm looking to switch from ATT iPhone to Verizon Android phone. Verizon has much better selection of droids and 4G LTE. I want to keep my iPhone & ATT account until I know the Verizon phone gets a good signal where I live. So I figured I would get the VZ phone with a new number. Is it possible to switch the number on the phone after I purchase it, taking my iPhone number with me?

Thanks for any info on this.

Michael

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: switch from ATT to Verizon - phone number
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
In mid April, I opened a Verizon account with a new number when I bought my Tbolt. Two weeks later I ported my phone number that had been attached to an AT&T android phone. The number was ported on top of number and replaced the phone number my Tbolt was using. Easy-peasy. Actually that port went smoother than the original number porting to AT&T. I lost my ability to text message in the port of the number to AT&T.

If you want to see what android phones are seeing for area in your area, try this map on your iPhone.

http://iphone.sensorly.com

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vereyezuhn
Master - Level 3

This is a good question. I'm not sure this would work. When you open a new account with Verizon, you will be signing a new 2 year contract (unless you pay full price for the phone) This would mean you'd have to change your number with Verizon after cancelling your account with AT&T, and just hope your old number is still available. I don't believe you can port your number over unless you open a new line on your Verizon account for it, and cancel your other line that you opened (which results in you paying an ETF) I understand wanting to make sure you get service with Verizon, but you do have 14 days from the date of purchase to return the phone if you wish. I would suggest cancelling your AT&T account, porting your number over, and trying out Verizon for 14 days, and if it doesn't work, there's no penalties (except the $35 restocking fee for the phone)

0 Likes
blueskies

well, that's probably the standard way of doing things.. but if the VZ phone signal is poor by then I'll have terminated my iPhone contract with no way to go back and I'll get billed the ETF even though I need the iPhone working again. Maybe I need to find someone with a droid I can borrow to test the signal strength in various locations I frequent. Trying to get someone to loan their smartphone for an afternoon... priceless... but near impossible :smileywink:

0 Likes
vereyezuhn
Master - Level 3

blueskies wrote:

well, that's probably the standard way of doing things.. but if the VZ phone signal is poor by then I'll have terminated my iPhone contract with no way to go back and I'll get billed the ETF even though I need the iPhone working again. Maybe I need to find someone with a droid I can borrow to test the signal strength in various locations I frequent. Trying to get someone to loan their smartphone for an afternoon... priceless... but near impossible :smileywink:

:smileyvery-happy: Yeah this situation is certainly tricky. I'm betting Verizon will have good signal in your area though. There's a coverage map somewhere on this website where you can see where they are covered. In my area, I get better signal with Verizon than AT&T but I know with some places it's the other way around.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
In mid April, I opened a Verizon account with a new number when I bought my Tbolt. Two weeks later I ported my phone number that had been attached to an AT&T android phone. The number was ported on top of number and replaced the phone number my Tbolt was using. Easy-peasy. Actually that port went smoother than the original number porting to AT&T. I lost my ability to text message in the port of the number to AT&T.

If you want to see what android phones are seeing for area in your area, try this map on your iPhone.

http://iphone.sensorly.com

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
blueskies

well, I get a decent signal with my ATT iPhone, I can even talk in the basement. I don't know anyone else in the buildilng who can do that... and they've mostly got VZ or TMobile. The maps are useless, there are dead spots in most neighborhoods that don't get marked on the maps ... too bad carriers don't provide potential customers with test phones... try before you buy.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Thanks everyone for your input.

Ann is correct, you don't have to port your number right away. You can get a new number with us and then when you are ready to port, just call customer service to port your number. You just need your cell phone number and AT&T account number. Also make sure if you have a password for your AT&T account to give us that information also. 

0 Likes