Ringtones -- and music in general -- become unplayable
lonndoggie
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi--

As I did on my OG DROID, I created a music folder and a ringtones folder on my SD card on the Charge, and put music and ringtones in them respectively.

I then used Astro file manager to select one of my ringtones as my default.  I was also able to play the music files (or the ringtones, for that matter).

At some point, I noticed I was missing calls.  Then, I saw my phone light up with a call, but made no sound.  After the call, I checked--ring volume was up full, but there was no ringtone.  I went into my SD card and tried to play the ringtone, and it wouldn't.  Same with the music files.

This keeps happening.  Not sure what it is that causes it, but it may be either or both using a USB connection or Bluetooth.  The USB connection can unmount/remount the SD card, so that might be it, if the re-mount when USB is disconnected doesn't quite finish properly.

Anyone else see this?

0 Likes
Re: Ringtones -- and music in general -- become unplayable
DionM_VZW
Verizon Employee

At this point, I can't agree that an unmounted SD card is the source of the problem. Do the native/preloaded ringtones still work?

0 Likes
keithsm2
Enthusiast - Level 3

yes...i cant play music....OR the preloaded guided tour videos.....

0 Likes
rj57
Enthusiast - Level 2
My wife's Charge was doing the same. Just as mysterious as it quit, it started working again tonight. All that I did was to check some settings. I did notice that a couple of music files are basically trashed. File is there but no sound.
0 Likes
mmm75165

I have to restart my Charge 2-3 times a day when this happens. Once I restart, everything works. VERY annoying.

0 Likes
ChristinaB_VZW
Verizon Employee

Please view here for information on how to download music to the Samsung Charge.

Please note that only DRM free / unprotected music can be transferred via this method. DRM protected content (e.g. songs downloaded via iTunes, Rhapsody subscription, etc.) will not play on this device.

Let us know if this has addressed your concerns. Thank you very much.

0 Likes
cochran_jessie

I have a Droid Charge and I am having the same issues. I took Verizon Supports advice and recreated all of my ringtone files and it worked ok yesterday but today I missed two calls due to the ringtone not playing. 

I really love this phone but I don't like not being able to use my own ringtones.

HELP!!! 

0 Likes
ew20

Not sure why this is marked as solved, all that was posted was how to transfer files to the phone via USB cable.  If the person didn't know how to do that, he wouldn't have music on the phone to play in the first place....

I have this same issue, I have to restart my Charge often as it will stop playing music files.  I get a "File cannot be played" error or something like.  All of my music is DRM free.  Same thing with video files.  The funny thing is, I recorded these files with the phone itself.

There are many posts on this forum about this, it is a widespread issue.  The phone played everything perfectly until maybe 3 weeks ago.  This date conincides with the update from early June that was made to improve 4G connectivity.  Perhaps they are related?

0 Likes
tinar1121

Have you gotten an answer on this issue, yet? It's driving crazy.  I have the amazon mp3 app on my phone.  Bought the song directly from the site and it still won't play.  Very frustrating!

0 Likes
ew20

It's driving me crazy as well.  Happened to me 2x today again.  I'm rebooting at least once per day right now if I want my mp3 ringtones to work or if I want to use the media player.

0 Likes