Re: Gingerbread Update for HTC Droid Incredible
popcycle4
Enthusiast - Level 2

Really I think you're over-reacting.  I like the personalization, flexibility, and performance of the Incredible which I've had for 13 months.  The I-phone's a nice product, and until this year, certainly the most polished system.  

I have gotten a new HTC Sensation with Gingerbread (Andride 2.3) and the difference is NOT huge.

Battery life ont he Dinc is not good, and I purchased 2 extra batteries for about 7.50/15.00 including shipping.

So why is it a problem to carry a couple of spares??  

0 Likes
JMKosmo

Why would I want to carry extra batteries when there are phones out there that doesn't require you to have a phone and a pocket full of batteiries?

0 Likes
nimiaj
Contributor - Level 3

I have used my Inc since the day it came out, I am still on the stock battery and I still get a solid 2 days out of it with my usage pattern. My only rule, whenever I get a new app, I will keep an eye on it for the first few days to see if makes any major impact on battery, and if it does, I decide to either keep the app or find an alternative based on my need. Here's how I use my device:

• Brightness: always fixed at 30%. Rarely will I go to full brightness when outside and I need it.
  • Accounts & Syncs Settings

- Weather Sync: Sense Weather syncs once a day, Beautiful Widgets weather syncs every hour

- Google Sync: Syncs mail, calendar, contacts & docs

- Backup Assistant: Turned off. Don't need it, all contacts either on Google, Exchange or Facebook

- Exchange Activesync: Syncs mail, contacts and calendar. Set to As Items Arrive between 8 and 6, all other times manual

- Facebook for HTC Sense: Only sync contacts every 12 hours

- Twitter for HTC Sense: Only sync Friends every 12 hour

• Mail: Three POP accounts (in addition to the exchange mail) all set to manual. But I do check them atleast 4 times day.
  • Beautiful Widgets: Weather syncs every hour
  • Browser: I browse for about 60 mins across the whole day
  • Launcher Pro Plus

- I use launcher pro plus as my default launcher. Also use its widgets

- Friends widget: both facebook and twitter feed set to update every 3 three hours, however I manually refresh it almost every   hour

• Other apps that I use which may use internet connection

- Dropbox

- Market and Amazon App Store

- Gas Buddy

- SMSBackup

• Also send around 20-30 SMS a day, and talk for about 30 mins on the phone
  • Use WiFi when at home or work, use Bluetooth when driving
  • Oh, I also keep fiddling around with setting and wallpapers and such atleast three times a week! For example I end up changing my wallpapers every other day, my beautiful widgets theme almost always with the wallpaper change, and Launcher Pro plus animations as well. I keep looking for new themes for all these in the market too.

For the most part that's how I use my phone and I am able to get atleast 2 days out of my phone on the stock battery. Again, as it has been said before, these are specific to an individuals usage pattern. so for me my inc has never let me down, and I;ve not even considered getting another battery. And i've been using this phone since it came out in April of last year. Yeah, I have one of those original AMOLED ones....kapish!

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

your network coverage has a great deal to do with battery life as well. if you get a great signal where you are most of the time, it will last MUCH longer. a weak signal will kill it quicker. and if you are in a strong wifi area and activate it, that will help too. if you leave it on though, and leave the wifi area, it strains the battery. i used mine for a year before i got a different phone, and after a year i could still get nearly 3 hours of real usage and another 10-12 of idle time per day.....which would get me through a day....on one charge. 

0 Likes
Not applicable

Thanks nimiaj for all of your helpful suggestions on saving battery life. For everyone else, at this time we do not have a date on the Gingerbread update for the Incredible. 

0 Likes
kansaswrangler
Enthusiast - Level 3

In other words, you limit the smartphone capabilities. I have practically everything turned off, rarely make calls or text and browse less than 20 minutes a day. The battery lasts about 20 hours, but I don't want it to get too low in case I actually have to do something.

0 Likes
pathxe

I agree. While I like the Incredible and it has been a good phone. I don't like not knowing if or when it will be updated with the current OS.

Plus you can't beat the way the iPhone handles music and video. Android is not even close when it comes to that. I will be getting an iPhone when the next model comes out this year.

Too bad really because all Android needs to do is get something similar to iTunes(that works as well) and get a better handle on updating the OS.

As much as I may hate to say this but I can see why Apple has a closed system. It works. Also you know early on if your device is getting the new updates from Apple so you can plan accordingly.

I already know my 2nd generation Ipod Touch is no longer going to get upgrades.

With Android you really have no idea if your device is going to be upgraded or not? I guess I will know for sure when my phone updates to Gingerbread not before.

0 Likes
Torgo
Enthusiast - Level 3

I thought this was a decent article on CNet describing the whole update process:

http://www.cnet.com/8301-17918_1-20076142-85/smartphones-unlocked-a-closer-look-at-software-updates/...

Hopefully it will give some perspective.

0 Likes
jway320

Today when I was checking my battery use, I noticed that under Android System, on of the processes it was controlling was Upgrade Setup.  I've never noticed this before, so I didn't know if this was normal, or if there was a potential upgrade coming out soon. Any ideas?

0 Likes
SLCwHTCINC
Enthusiast - Level 2

Where that appears on the phone, a list of VPN Services, makes me believe it a function included in the phone and has nothing to do with the upcoming update.

0 Likes