People calling hear ring, but my phone never rings
lwascher
Enthusiast - Level 1

People call my phone all the time and say that it rings, but I don't have any missed calls.  This has been the case across multiple phones that I've had with Verizon, so it's not just the smart phone.  People accuse me of ignoring their calls because they hear the ring tone, but in reality I never get the call.  Why does Verizon set their equipment up to do this?  When I had my Sprint phone, if people heard a ring, it was guaranteed that my phone was ringing.

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: People calling hear ring, but my phone never rings
EdW_VZW
Verizon Employee

VZNUser1991 wrote:

I going to piggy back on this question.

I sort of have the same problem, but I do  person/number calling, but no sound or vibration.  I do see that they call in the call log. 

The volume is on.  Also, I have 2 other issues (may be related - not sure)

#1.   I could be in the middle of a call/conversation and it will go dead to the party I am speaking to, they can't hear me, but I can hear them.

#2.   When the phone is in that silent state (before I power off) and I do see a call coming in.... when I answer the person can't hear me.

This happens a couple of times a day.  I have to do a soft re-boot.  (Taking out the battery).  I only had my phone for 30 days.  Is there a fix for this or is my phone defected????

Thank you for your inquiry VZNUser1991. Even though your questions sound similar to the others, they also could be unrelated. The possible answer to your two questions about your party in not hearing you is perhaps your device was muted. Ensure your checking your device not to engage the mute function before or during the call. I am providing information related with the muting your voice under the In-Call Options as found from page 37 in the user manuel. This information can be obtained via our website under support, selecting device and entering the name of the device. This would bring you to a support page and a way to pull up the user manuel. Rebooting does not reset the In-Call options that can interfere with the calls being heard by the other party. Perhaps both issues you experienced of your voice not being heard can be tied together. 

For In-Call Options while in a call, you can use these features of which one does deal with Muting or Unmuting your voice:

1  Dialpad:    Display a dial pad to enter numbers.

2. End call:   End the phone call.

3. Add call:   Display the Dialer to set up a multi-party call.

4. Speaker:   Enable or disable speakerphone.

5. Mute:        Mute or Unmute your voice on the call.

6. Bluetooth: Switch the call’s audio to a Bluetooth headset.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Spiral
Master - Level 1

Could you possibly have call forwarding on for your line?  To remove the call forwarding (or just make sure it is not activated) dial *73 from from the phone you are having problems with and wait until you hear three beeps.

0 Likes
AnthonyTa_VZW
Verizon Employee

Thank you Spiral for providing that information!

lwascher, I know how important it is to be able to receive all of your calls, as well as being able to make calls.  I would like to assist you in ensuring that your phone is receiving all calls as it should.

There are a few things that I would like to check, such as your signal strength when not receiving the calls.  Your exact location you are at when not receiving the calls, as well as how long has this been an issue.

I noticed you mentioned that this has happened with previous Verizon Wireless devices you've had; are all previous devices you've had on this line powered off?  Do you use any of your older devices that were previously activated to this line for any other non-phone uses, such as for an alarm or calendar?  This could effect how your current device, activated to your line, would receive calls or texts.

If you would like, private message me your mobile cellular number and I would be able to access your account and further troubleshoot the issue.  I will message you my contact information.

0 Likes
michelle4439
Enthusiast - Level 2

lwascher

I have had the very same problem for about a year.  I am a former Alltel customer that became a Verizon customer due to the merge between Alltel and Verizon. I can not tell you how many phone calls I have made to Verizon due to this issue. There is a tower that Verizon saids is the problem. They would keep sending me PRL's to my phone. Then they tried hybrid PRL's. Then they said the tower was the issue because I am a former Alltel customer. Nothing seems to work. I actually still have the problem. When I am at my boyfriend's house my phone and his phone for most of the time won't ring or show missed calls either exactly like your problem. 

lwascher
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you for all the posts.  This is a Verizon specific issue.  Call forwarding is not enabled on my phone and I have full signal when the calls do not show up.  VERIZON needs to change how the ringers work across their system.  All my friends, family, and co-workers that have verizon have the same problem.  Below is a couple scenarios of what happens with my verizon phone vs when I had Sprint and is a MAJOR problem.

Verizon Phone - Scenario 1

1. I turn phone completely off

2. Person calls me for important phone call and hears several rings like my phone is ringing, they assume their number will show on my caller ID since they heard it ring

3. Person accuses me of ignoring phone call because they heard my phone ring

Verizon Phone - Scenario 2

1. I turn phone on but am using Internet or in middle of sending txt message

2. Person calls me for important phone call and hears several rings like my phone is ringing, they assume their number will show on my caller ID since they heard it ring

3. No missed call shows up on phone

4. Person accuses me of ignoring phone call because they heard my phone ring

(i have had the same issue with multiple phones with Verizon)

Sprint Phone - Scenario 3

1. I turn phone completely off

2. Person calls me for important phone call and call goes right to voicemail

3. Person realizes that my phone is either off or out of service

Sprint Phone - Scenario 4

1. Phone goes out of service

2. Person calls me for important phone call and call goes right to voicemail

3. Person realizes that my phone is either off or out of service

Sprint Phone - Scenario 5

1. Person calls phone from landline, hears 3 rings, hangs up.

2. My phone rings 3 times in my hand

Verizon Phone - Scenario 6

1. Person calls phone from landline, hears 3 rings, hangs up.
2. My phone rings 0-2 times in my hand (different each time)

Even though Verizon is a more expensive, I would really like to keep their service.  Unfortunately I can't keep missing important work phone calls because of this ringer issue.  Is this issue on Verizon's roadmap to be fixed?

0 Likes
Angelique527

My boyfriend and I are having the same issue. He would call me and my phone never rings and the other way around. Good thing is, that we are in a strong relationship as this can cause some very serious problems with couples if the phones aren't ringing and people don't receive their phonecalls. We also are having the same problem with Text messages, though they seem to come through better than phone calls. IN several instances though, they have also been weirdly sliced together with other message from who knows where and that has also been causing some relationship issues.  In any way this is a really annoying issue and I NEVER EVER had this problem before with any of the Verizon phones. Is it a 3G - Issue??? Or is it the smartphones themselves. I have had ALL of the issues that "lwascher" is posting and we really wish it would stop!! We have talked to many other people from other providers and they do not seem to have these problems. And while I have been a loyal VZ Customer for a long time, this is really starting to make me want to change providers. WE NEED SOME HELP WITH THIS!!!!!

0 Likes
VZNUser1991
Enthusiast - Level 2

I sort of have the same problem, but I do  person/number calling, but no sound or vibration.  I do see that they call in the call log. 

#1.   I could be in the middle of a call/conversation and it will go dead to the party I am speaking to, they can't hear me, but I can hear them.

#2.   When the phone is in that silent state (before I power off) and I do see a call coming in.... when I answer the person can't hear me.

This happens a couple of times a day.  I have to do a soft re-boot.  (Taking out the battery).  I only had my phone for 30 days.  Is there a fix for this or is my phone defected????

0 Likes
TominqueBo_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hello Angelique527,

I can understand this issue being very important for you both.  Does your boyfriend have a samsung fascinate as well?  On your fascinate if you can navigate to Settings>About Phone>System Updates and please verify if your device has the most current software version of i500.ED04.  If you can advise me of the above information and if you are still experiencing this we can move forward.  Thank you.

0 Likes
EdW_VZW
Verizon Employee

VZNUser1991 wrote:

Thank you for your inquiry VZNUser1991. Even though your questions sound similar to the others, they also could be unrelated. The possible answer to your two questions about your party in not hearing you is perhaps your device was muted. Ensure your checking your device not to engage the mute function before or during the call. I am providing information related with the muting your voice under the In-Call Options as found from page 37 in the user manuel. This information can be obtained via our website under support, selecting device and entering the name of the device. This would bring you to a support page and a way to pull up the user manuel. Rebooting does not reset the In-Call options that can interfere with the calls being heard by the other party. Perhaps both issues you experienced of your voice not being heard can be tied together. 

For In-Call Options while in a call, you can use these features of which one does deal with Muting or Unmuting your voice:

1  Dialpad:    Display a dial pad to enter numbers.

2. End call:   End the phone call.

3. Add call:   Display the Dialer to set up a multi-party call.

4. Speaker:   Enable or disable speakerphone.

5. Mute:        Mute or Unmute your voice on the call.

6. Bluetooth: Switch the call’s audio to a Bluetooth headset.

0 Likes
VZNUser1991
Enthusiast - Level 2

After factory reset, most of my problems cleared up.   But the there are still times when my phone rings and I can't hear it on my end, it only vibrates.  It no special time when the ringer doesn't work.  I have to do a soft reboot to get the ringer to work.   I checked the sound settings and call settings.  The mute button is not marked. 

They sent me out another phone and it still does the same thing.  This is very irriating and no one seems to know how to fix it.

Please help,

Disgusted