How do I improve my signal?
avlval

I bought my Incredible 2 yesterday and cannot get more than 2 bars at best. I can sit on my couch with a friend with a Verizon Droid. She gets three bars and I get no bars. What can I do to increase my signal strength? I can barely hear the person on the other end of the line.

Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: very weak signal strength
EdW_VZW
Verizon Employee

jhardwood wrote:

Same problem here.  On my second HTC Incredible 2 in 3 days.  Both exhibiting terrible reception (0 bars then 5 bars then 1 bar then 0 bars then...) all in one location where my Motorola Droid gets steady 5 bars.  People  talking to me says it keeps cutting out.  I love the phone features, but if it can't act like a phone, it's useless to me.  Tried *228 several times, VZW store swapped it out, this one does the same thing.

Will try it for a couple more days than I'm going back to Motorola.

Thank you for your inquiry Jhardwood. Adding to what was stated, Where are you located when experiencing the reception issues? The place where your using your device can affect reception. Reception can vary from location to location depending on coverage area. Perhaps there was an outage in your area at the time your service was being affected. I could check and see if there were any service alerts in your area if I knew of your location.  A suggestion is to do a battery pull and re insert it back into the device to help refresh connections helping with reception issues.  Our website also provides a coverage map for a point of reference. Here is a link that can assist your further with your device: http://support.vzw.com/clc/devices/index.html?p=5641&m=

View solution in original post

AraceliT_VZW
Contributor - Level 3

We do not have any reported issues with the signal on the Incredible 2. You may want to turn the network connections off then back on after about 5 seconds while in the problem area. To turn off the network connection, go to Menu, Settings, Wireless & networks and select Airplane mode. Then uncheck it to turn back on. 

If you are still having issues, please feel free to send us a personal message for further assistance. 

Thank you, 

0 Likes
deterleigh_73
Enthusiast - Level 3

Mine has a weak signal also.... Never had a problem with my Fascinate.

0 Likes
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

I read on another tech forum (probably AC) that this may be a matter of the device not showing many bars, but also that it may not be indicative of actual signal strength. For example, I don't get more than two bars, but I've never had a problem with calls, texts or data.

As far as having a hard time hearing callers, I did notice that I have to be conscientious of keeping the speaker exactly over my ear, otherwise I can't hear. Unlike my BlackBerry, which I could hold away from my head and still hear callers loud and clear.

0 Likes
Andyl
I have had the Inc 2 for about 1 month and the signal strength meter is not indicative of call or data quality. Often times I've noticed 1 or zero bars showing, but have no call quality issues and data download speed of 1M. I downloaded a signal strength meter and noticed at times while the incredible 2's signal meter might be show 1-2 bars, the downloaded gauge would show at or near full strength signal. HTC needs to fix the signal bars!
0 Likes
so8sk

I have had the droid incredible 2 for about a month now.  The reception is AWFUL.  The phone constantly has a weak signal or no signal.  I did NOT have the issue with the MOTO Droid.  And, yes, the weak or no signal translates into reception problems.  I am constantly being told by folks that they have called me and my phone did not ring and I do not have a missed call.  Often times, it will take almost a half-hour to have a voice mail (from a call i never received) to register on my phone.  It is ridiculous.  This phone is TERRIBLE and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

0 Likes
RescueEMT911

I contacted HTC this morning 6/9/11, and asked about my weak signal/poor service with my HTC Incredible 2 and was told that they would report my problem to their software development team, but she also said that they have NO reports or trouble issues listed with the Incredible 2 for weak or poor signal, so basically HTC has no idea that the problem is occuring.  I ask that anyone who has a problem with their phone signal or fluctuating meter to contact HTC directly so the Incredible 2 development team can be aware of this.  You can contact HTC directly at 1-866-449-8358, this way they can actually be aware of the problem that is occuring with the phone!

Dave, RescueEMT911

0 Likes
Andyl

I'm still undecided if the Inc 2 has weak signal issues or not, and it maybe more related to the algorithym used to display the number of bars. 

For example, I was recently at a location with bad cell service.  My Inc 2 was showing 0 bars, my wifes iPhone 4 was showing 1 bar and my friends droid X was tetering between no-service and 1 bar.  None of us could hit the internet with any sort of performance, but all were getting texts okay.  Maybe 1 bar on the droid X and iphone 4 perhaps equals 0 bars on the Inc 2?

But then on another occassion I was at yet another location and could not hit the internet, while my friend with the droid 2 could. 

I'm still not sure what to think, but I really like the Inc 2.

0 Likes
jhardwood

Same problem here.  On my second HTC Incredible 2 in 3 days.  Both exhibiting terrible reception (0 bars then 5 bars then 1 bar then 0 bars then...) all in one location where my Motorola Droid gets steady 5 bars.  People  talking to me says it keeps cutting out.  I love the phone features, but if it can't act like a phone, it's useless to me.  Tried *228 several times, VZW store swapped it out, this one does the same thing.

0 Likes
EdW_VZW
Verizon Employee

jhardwood wrote:

Thank you for your inquiry Jhardwood. Adding to what was stated, Where are you located when experiencing the reception issues? The place where your using your device can affect reception. Reception can vary from location to location depending on coverage area. Perhaps there was an outage in your area at the time your service was being affected. I could check and see if there were any service alerts in your area if I knew of your location.  A suggestion is to do a battery pull and re insert it back into the device to help refresh connections helping with reception issues.  Our website also provides a coverage map for a point of reference. Here is a link that can assist your further with your device: http://support.vzw.com/clc/devices/index.html?p=5641&m=