What does 1x mean on the Droid X
LarryE1946
Enthusiast - Level 2

Occasionally when I look at my phone, instead of 3G, it says 1X.  What does that mean?  I keep missing calls.  They just go directly to voice messaging and I don't even show a missed call and I'm wondering if that 1X has anything to do with it.

Thanks in advance for any info.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: What does 1x mean on the Droid X
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
It is the 2G (or second generation) of the CDMA network. It is also known as 1xRTT. Data can transferred, but only at a slower rate.

Whenever you are on a phone call or sending or receiving text messages, your phone will switch to 1x. The phone can't send data at the same time as a voice call so it switches to the network optimized for that the function of the voice call.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
It is the 2G (or second generation) of the CDMA network. It is also known as 1xRTT. Data can transferred, but only at a slower rate.

Whenever you are on a phone call or sending or receiving text messages, your phone will switch to 1x. The phone can't send data at the same time as a voice call so it switches to the network optimized for that the function of the voice call.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
LarryE1946
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you very much for that easy to understand explanation.  I appreciate it very much.  It's just a little confusing because I'm not on a call nor texting, just holding the phone in my hand and wondering what the difference is.  :manhappy:

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
If you are in a weak area the phone might switch to 1x to keep the data connection alive if 3G isn't strong enough.

0 Likes
Cody21
Master - Level 2

The condition you're seeing is also well-known as the "3G - 1X Dance".  I see this from time to time in a location that never changes. I'll have a very strong Singal strength - 4 bars - and the 3G will just switch to 1X for a minute or so, then back to 3G ... all the while the 4 bars don't change. Nobody seems to know wht this happens; or at least there does not seem to be a "fix" for it, yet.  You can search the MOTO forum for a lot more discussion on this.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
There's that too. I forgot that can happen, Cody. I don't think I saw it too much on the Eris or the Thunderbolt (before the update). I know that I would see my "Real Signal" display bars "dance" several times a day on the Eris especially.

0 Likes
LarryE1946
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks again to both of you.  Helps me to understand what's going on.  As I said, I was having problems not getting calls and opened up a trouble ticket with Verizon and they said that others in my area were also having the missed call problem, but apparently they aren't doing anything about it because it's not getting better.  They said they sent an engineer out and he did notice a problem but they apparently don't know how to correct it.  They all agree that I'm so close to a tower that I shouldn't be having that problem, but I am.  I sit here and watch it "dance" back and forth between 1, 2, 3 and 4 bars.  Oh, but of course I can spend $249.00 on an extender, or I can just live in a certain area of my house where I consistently have better reception.  Didn't have this problem with the #1 provider and if it wasn't for the ETF I'd go back.  Only reason I'm ranting is because I missed a very important call from my doctor and it really bothered me that I just happened to open the phone and see that I had received a voice message a couple of hours earlier without any notification.

Sorry for the rant and again, thanks for the information.

Cody21
Master - Level 2

Have you tried calling *228 and option #2  ??  It reprograms the cell tower locations for your phone.  

0 Likes
LarryE1946
Enthusiast - Level 2

I had already done that when I made the first call and it didn't made a difference, but just did it again and we'll see what happens. Thanks for reminding me.  I appreciate it.

0 Likes