Cannot connect to PC
mcculloquin
Enthusiast - Level 3
When I plug my device into a PC, I do not get the option on the phone to select how it should connect. a 5 MB CD drive shows up in Windows Explorer, but nothing else. Any ideas?
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Cannot connect to PC
mcculloquin
Enthusiast - Level 3

Problem solved by turning off phone, removing battery, replacing battery, turning hone back on, all while USB cable plugged into both computer and phone.

Don't know which of those steps did the trick, but when the phone came back on it gave me the option of what to do in USB mode. I still get the request to install the VCast software (which even the VZW support tech who helped me with this suggested I not use!), but the SD card now shows up.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
MostlyALurker
Enthusiast - Level 3

Have you tried going to Settings-->Connect to PC and making sure the "ask me" check box is checked?

0 Likes
AntonioC_VZW
Verizon Employee

mcculloquin wrote:
When I plug my device into a PC, I do not get the option on the phone to select how it should connect. a 5 MB CD drive shows up in Windows Explorer, but nothing else. Any ideas?

When you connect your phone to a computer using the USB cable, the Connect to PC screen opens and lets you choose the type of USB connection. You should be presented with the options below:

Charge only: Select this option if you only want to charge the battery while your phone is connected to your computer.

HTC Sync: Select this option to synchronize contacts, calendar, and other information between your computer and your phone. For more information, see “Synchronizing with your computer” in the Accounts and sync chapter.

Disk drive: This mode is available only when there’s a microSD card on your phone. Select this mode when you want to copy files between your phone’s storage card and your computer. For more information, see “Copying files to or from the storage card” in this chapter. When Disk drive mode is enabled while your phone is connected to the computer, you will not be able to use apps on your phone to access the storage card.

Internet Connection Mode: When you do not have Internet connection on your computer, you can select this mode to share your phone’s mobile data connection with your computer. For more information, see “Using your phone as a modem (tethering)” in the Internet connections chapter.

Media sync: Select this mode if you want to synchronize pictures, music, and videos with your computer. You must install V CAST™ Media Manager on both your phone and computer before you can synchronize media. To learn more about V CAST™ Media Manager, go to http://phones.verizonwireless.com/mediamanager.

Internet pass-through: If you don’t have a data plan for your phone or you don’t have access to a Wi-Fi network, you can select this mode to share your computer’s Internet connection with your phone. For more information, see the Internet connections chapter.

You can also change the type of USB connection on-the-fly, without having to disconnect and reconnect your phone. Slide open the Notifications panel, and then tap the notification that says “Select to change USB connection type” to open the Connect to PC screen again. To change the default connection type or choose between showing and hiding the Connect to PC screen, press MENU from the Home screen, and then tap Settings > Connect to PC.

You can find the above information on pages 28 and 29 of your HTC Droid Incredible 2 Manual

0 Likes
mcculloquin
Enthusiast - Level 3

<When you connect your phone to a computer using the USB cable, the Connect to PC screen opens and lets you choose the type of USB connection. You should be presented with the options below:>

I read the manual, and I agree that the above is what SHOULD happen. The problem is that it is NOT happening. All that happens when I plug the USB cable into phone and PC is that I get asked to install the VCast software from a 5.86 MB CD Drive.

Even with the VCast software installed and running, the PC (or VCast) does not recognize that the phone is connected, no matter what mode the phone is set to (I've tried all of them, shutting down the phone completely and restrating it each time).

0 Likes
mcculloquin
Enthusiast - Level 3

The other issue is that when I install VCast, there is no option for any HTC phones. Doesn't bode well, does it?

0 Likes
mcculloquin
Enthusiast - Level 3

Problem solved by turning off phone, removing battery, replacing battery, turning hone back on, all while USB cable plugged into both computer and phone.

Don't know which of those steps did the trick, but when the phone came back on it gave me the option of what to do in USB mode. I still get the request to install the VCast software (which even the VZW support tech who helped me with this suggested I not use!), but the SD card now shows up.

0 Likes
mcculloquin
Enthusiast - Level 3

0 Likes