Shrew Soft VPN won't connect through 4G LTE - using Pantech UML290
nappytime

Hey everyone,

I'm using Shrew Soft VPN to connect to my companies network and can't seem to connect when using the 4G broadband. I have no issues using Ethernet/wifi but for some reason I can't establish a connection with using 4G.

I'm currently using the Pantech UML290 to connect to the 4G network. I tried to switch to 3G to see if there was some type of encryption causing the issue. That doesn't resolve it.

Has anyone else experienced this and found a solution?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Shrew Soft VPN won't connect through 4G LTE - using Pantech UML290
RT_71

Several possibilities:

• Shrewsoft uses a "stub" virtual network device that connects into the Windows (or Linux) network stack, so IF you installed the USB device AFTER the ShrewSoft software, I would kill possibly two birds with one stone by going to the shrewsoft site and dowloading the latest revision. Unistall the old revision, and then install teh new one. If you are using the latest revision, try an unistall and reinstall.
  • It shoudln't be the issue, but the MTU setting in Shrewsoft may need to be lowered, and if you are using windows XP, the TCP window size fix you can see discussed here in the forum, may need to be implemented.

I support a communtiy of about 12 user taht use shrewsoft and while it is usually greta becaus eit is free and works with many differnt firewalls, we have had many "bugs" taht crop up from time to time.

You can turn on the debugging and higher settings to capture the IKE, DNS, and otehr transactiosn going on using the trace utility, and share it with your corporate folks, or if you are using it to connect to your home system(s) then share what the dialogue box shows when you try to connect.

Good Luck,

P.

0 Likes
LordLaLa

I am also facing the same exact problem. I've learned through some googling that Verizon seems to do some blocking on their end... don't necessarily know how valid that is.

We're supposed to be working with a Verizon engineer to resolve the problem very shortly. If we do have any luck, I'll be glad to post my findings.

Likewise, if you or anyone else has found a solution, please let me know, I'd truly appreciate it.

0 Likes
nappytime

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to update that I was able to connect to my companies VPN through the Cisco VPN client rather than Shrew Soft. This is an alternative but the Cisco client is not free like that of Shrew Soft. However, the benefit of being able to connect offsets the cost IMHO.

Thanks!

0 Likes
daddy

How were you able to connect?  I have Cisco VPN and Cisco AnyConect and still cannot connect.  I'm very curious as to how you managed to connect.

Thanks.

0 Likes
daddy

I opened a case with Verizon and it seems the problem is on their end.  To get access to VPN again, you have to downgrade the VZAccess, downgrade the Firmware (that is "required") to an older version, and uninstall Verizon firmware updates in Add/Remove programs.  This is the email that VZ sent me:

Thank you for contacting the Verizon Wireless Data Technical Support department through our website. We are sorry to learn that you are unable to connect to your company's VPN when using your UML290 Modem. We are pleased to assist you.

We can certainly understand your frustration when your device does not work as expected. You should be able to connect to your company's VPN service when using the UML290. We will be providing you with steps to check your VZAccess Manager Software version.

After updating to MR2 (Maintenance Release 2) software, the UML290 may not be able to connect to some VPNs. The MR2 software was included in the VZAccess Manager build 7.6.3 (2642j). To check the current version that you are currently running on your computer, please complete the steps provided below:

1. Launch VZAccess Manager

2. Click Help

3. Select About VZAccess Manager

If you are running VZAccess Manager 7.6.3 (2642j), please downgrade the software. To do so, please complete the steps provided below:

1. Browse to http://www.vzam.net/download/download.aspx

2. Select your Operating System

3. Select the device you are using

4. Select your hardware i.e. Pantech UML290

5. Click Continue

6. Click the Downgrade Utility link located under the Installation Instructions and/or Device Drivers

You should be able to use the steps provided above to downgrade the VZAccess Manager Software. Once this has been completed, you should be able to connect to your company's VPN when using the Pantech UML290.

Make sure you read the read_me.pdf doc packaged with the firmware downgrade utility.  There are some steps that are left out of this procedure that are in that doc.  Good luck to everyone.

-daddy

0 Likes