4G LTE Mobile Hotspot MiFi 4510L - Can't Charge and Use?
JaredM

Unless I'm missing something, there appears to be a tremendous design flaw with the brand new 4510L - it's not possible to charge the device via USB and use its 4G data connection!  It looks like the WiFi radio shuts down as soon as I plug the device into a powered USB port.

This seems insane.  If my laptop is plugged into a power source, why can't I be charging the MiFi at the same time and still use the data connection?

0 Likes
Re: 4G LTE Mobile Hotspot MiFi 4510L - Can't Charge and Use?
notpeter

Out of the box, yes, this is true.

That said you can get a special charging only micro USB cable (with the data pins disconnected) which will let you charge via usb and connect via wifi simultaneously.  Alternatively you can charge it from a non-computer connected USB port (included AC adaptor or a 12V DC MicroUSB car adaptor).

0 Likes
JaredM

Where might I find such a charge-only micro USB cable?

0 Likes
jmilford

You can also follow this guide.  You'll just want to make sure you have another cable that can be used for firmware updates as they are released.

http://community.spiceworks.com/how_to/show/2146

0 Likes
dimap
Contributor - Level 1

This is especiallly nutty as you can't tether as a single mode device via USB either. I wouldn't mind losing wi-fi so much if you could, but you can't.

I'm geussing the reason wi-fi was disabled via laptop USB is becasue of the 500 mA maximum draw from a USB port being insufficent to power the wi'fi radio. I would think a double-plug cable that uses 2 ports would be necessary for this.

0 Likes
Lynn53
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have a 4510L but do not need to charge by the usb cable I use the wall charger but I was looking at other stuff for the 4510L and found this, its the retractable. Might want to call them first and make sure. I have ordered other stuff from them and they are good to work with you. Number to call is on home page

usb cable

http://3gstore.com/category/273_529_mifi_portable_hotspot_verizon_mifi_4150l.html?sort=20a&page=2

home page

http://3gstore.com/

ArnettH_VZW
Verizon Employee

Thanks for all the input community members,

Just to add to the discussion, when you plug the mifi to a pc, you can use it like a USB modem for an individual device. The is especially helpful for when people want to access the web  with a pc that doesn't have wifi. In most cases, people who have pc without the wifi capability still buy a mifi so they can use it with their desktops with a cord and/or with with their tablets wirelessly. 

Hope this clears up any confusion...

0 Likes
dimap
Contributor - Level 1

@ArnettH_VZW:   Really? Here is an exerpt from a comment left by a user on the device page in the Mobile Hotopot Devices section of this site:

While I'm thrilled to be rid of the often slow VZ Access Manager, the 4G MiFi lacks something that it's 3G counterpart offered -- the ability to use as a tethered device, an important feature if you want to use on desktop computer that doesn't have built-in WiFi (most do not).

And from the device feature list itself:

• One Type–A USB port–For s/w updates ONLY.

Not srue what this means exactly, but hopefully the thing will at least CHARGE from the wall via the USB port!

0 Likes
Lynn53
Enthusiast - Level 3

I went to a Verizon store and was asking about a charge only cable and one employee said the cable that comes with it would then I told him it would not then another employee confirmed I was right that the cable that comes with the device was for software updates only. This has nothing to do with the wall charger that also comes with the device. Now I read what this Verizon employee says. Maybe we need to write the head of Verizon employee training or maybe he needs training.

0 Likes
JaredM

@ArnettH_VZW: Please explain how this functionality (USB modem) works.  I have not seen the MiFi behave in the manner you've described.

0 Likes