Incoming calls not coming through
Milkycheeseface
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi guys, I've had some problems with incoming calls on my Fascinate, and generally they haven't been a big deal, until today when this issue prevented me from answering the phone for a phone interview. So now that this issue is potentially preventing me from getting a job, it needs to be dealt with.

I have a Fascinate running 2.2. I'm not rooted or anything like that.

My girlfriend has informed me that when she calls me and I don't get the call coming through, that on her side it rings like normal before going to voicemail. On my end, I don't see the incoming call, and have no way of knowing someone is calling me until I get a voicemail notification.

I can't figure out how to replicate the issue, as there doesn't seem to be any pattern. Sometimes I'm running an app, sometimes (like today for instance) I've stopped every app that might be gathering data over the network that isn't necessary for the phone to run.

I've googled for a solution, and haven't found one. I have found a couple other people having similar problems (including someone who had the problem on a Samsung Mesmerize). One person mentioned seeing this problem around Chicagoland, which I am.

Does anyone have an idea for a fix?

Re: Incoming calls not coming through
nickjr
Contributor - Level 3

Milkycheeseface wrote:

Hi guys, I've had some problems with incoming calls on my Fascinate, and generally they haven't been a big deal, until today when this issue prevented me from answering the phone for a phone interview. So now that this issue is potentially preventing me from getting a job, it needs to be dealt with.

I have a Fascinate running 2.2. I'm not rooted or anything like that.

My girlfriend has informed me that when she calls me and I don't get the call coming through, that on her side it rings like normal before going to voicemail. On my end, I don't see the incoming call, and have no way of knowing someone is calling me until I get a voicemail notification.

I can't figure out how to replicate the issue, as there doesn't seem to be any pattern. Sometimes I'm running an app, sometimes (like today for instance) I've stopped every app that might be gathering data over the network that isn't necessary for the phone to run.

I've googled for a solution, and haven't found one. I have found a couple other people having similar problems (including someone who had the problem on a Samsung Mesmerize). One person mentioned seeing this problem around Chicagoland, which I am.

Does anyone have an idea for a fix?

A friend of mine had the same problem. Remove the battery, hold down the vol. up for 10 seconds, then after a few minutes replace the battery. See if that works for you
0 Likes
Milkycheeseface
Enthusiast - Level 2

Do you have any explanation why that would work? I would assume that taking the battery out would prevent any power going to the phone, rendering the volume button useless.

I'm doing this anyways, but either way I wouldn't notice a difference probably for a couple days, because fortunately this problem doesn't happen every time I get a phone call. I'll let you know if it works, but in the mean time I'll try any other ideas people might have as well.

0 Likes
Indianchief
Contributor - Level 1

The same thing happened to me but only on a specific contact (that I know of).  I deleted that contact, rebooted my phone, then re-entered that contact.  After that every worked fine.  You might try deleting and re-entering your girl friend and see if that works for you.  Also check each contact to make sure there isn't any wrong information or extra characters in the phone numbers.  Sometimes is one contact is corrupted it affects others for some reason.  Hope this helps.

0 Likes
PSO1

I've had the same problem. At first I thought it was due to my volume being off, but it happened once while I was holding the phone and I saw the in coming call appear on the screen even though the volume level was set to high.  I turned the phone off and restarted it.  It seemed to work.  Kinda reminds you of a Windows PC.

Another related problem is some direct dial shortcuts don't dial, they just sit there after displaying the contact name & number.  I've had to remove the direct dial contact and create a new one.

0 Likes
wardcst24
Contributor - Level 2
0 Likes
Milkycheeseface
Enthusiast - Level 2

PSO1 wrote:

I've had the same problem. At first I thought it was due to my volume being off, but it happened once while I was holding the phone and I saw the in coming call appear on the screen even though the volume level was set to high.  I turned the phone off and restarted it.  It seemed to work.  Kinda reminds you of a Windows PC.

Another related problem is some direct dial shortcuts don't dial, they just sit there after displaying the contact name & number.  I've had to remove the direct dial contact and create a new one.

This isn't quite the same experience I'm having. In fact, I could deal with my ringer not working, which is more akin to what you're experiencing. My phone does not receive the call, period. I know this, because I was staring at my phone while I was waiting for this particular phone call. The phone did not ring. Then it made the notification sound, and my notification bar informed me there was a voicemail from the person that I was expecting the call from.

This afternoon, my girlfriend called, and it did not ring again. The one outside circumstance that is similar between these two situations is that my phone was sitting on my bed instead of a table or my pocket. It would be complete speculation without much scientific understand as to why my bed would prevent my phone from ringing, but I'm going to leave my phone on a table when I'm relaxing from now on.

Also, I'm going to bite the bullet and give my phone a factory reset. I was reluctant to do this, because of my game data and it being necessary to sign into all of my apps again...

I'll write back after a while to see if this helps. If not, I'll need to take it to the Verizon store and get a replacement, to see if it's an issue with the phone hardware.

0 Likes
wardcst24
Contributor - Level 2

Don't bother with the factory reset it does not help.

I am having this problem also.

When your phone is doing this you can call it from another phone and it will not ring as soon as you hit the power button and wake it up it will start ringing

It reminds me of when windows me would not wake from hibernate

I did two factory resets, had vzw reset and than reactivate

Have not found any thing that helps.  on my 2nd factory reset I left all my apps off and didn't reinstall  thought it might be a conflict.   That does not help it is one of two things.  Bad Hardware or Bad Operating System  Not sure which Yet.

0 Likes
wardcst24
Contributor - Level 2

Ended up Contacting Samsung

Went through all there bull all the way up to Level 3 Tech Support they are having me send them the phone for repair.

Will update when I hear what they Find

0 Likes
Indianchief
Contributor - Level 1

I am having the same trouble.......I am not getting all my calls.  Are you getting your same phone back or a refurbished one?  Thanks for keeping us posted on this issue.

0 Likes