Data plan - What it does or doesn't cover?
DH0042

Hi, I just upgraded from dinky old only-makes-phone-calls lg phone to a Blackberry Pearl on my dad's family wireless plan.  We signed up for the required $29.99 data plan, and I heard the word "unlimited" thrown around, but we were in a hurry and I didn't get a full explanation of what the data plan actually covers.  Unfortunately, I can't get through to customer support because I'm not the one with his name on the account.

So here's my questions regarding my $29.99 a month "unlimited" blackberry data plan:

1) What services are covered by this?  Internet? Email?

2) How "unlimited" is it really?

3) Does this plan include text messaging? (I did not have a text messaging plan before and I did not sign up for one today, I wasn't clear on how that interacts with a "data" plan)

4) What services are *not* included in this plan or will cause me to be charged extra?

Thanks,

-DH0042

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Data plan - What it does or doesn't cover?
nmchileman
Master - Level 3

With your $29.99 Email & Web plan for Blackberry you will have total unlimited internet and email on the device directly. It is truly unlimited. No hidden, unspoken 5GB cap. It's unlimited. Period. I've tried it personally and used over 8GB's on my Curve in 1 month...it's extremely difficult to do..but it can be done and I was not charged a penny more.

It does not include any text messaging, so signing up for a text package was a good thing.

So any type of application that you would use the data plan would cover it. For example; Google Maps, internet radio, YouTube...all unlimited and covered by the data plan. It alows you to set up a total of 11 email accounts on the phone. 10 personal email accounts (IMAP/POP3--->Gmail,Yahoo,MSN,Comcast..etc) and 1 device specific address (username@vzw.blackberry.net).

So really the only thing you can get charged for from Verizon now is for any text/voice overage.

0 Likes
risu
Contributor - Level 3

What Mr. Chile said :smileyvery-happy:  I have the FamilyShare Select plan that covers texting... with the bonus of Friends and Family, I never have to worry about overages.

0 Likes
workaholick

Hi: If you sign up for Instant Messaging, & your friends have the same,

then text messages are included with the data plan. It works for me. I have Windows Live, Yahoo, and Google Talk.

0 Likes
nmchileman
Master - Level 3
Be advised if you use the Verizon Wireless branded Mobile IM service you're still using your text messaging allowance. It's only if you get a third party IM application that it uses your data plan.
0 Likes
workaholick
Thanks for giving me the correction about third party IM
0 Likes
nmchileman
Master - Level 3
You're welcome. That's what I'm here for. :smileywink:
0 Likes
RoniTalk
Enthusiast - Level 3

I ALSO HAVE A QUESTION:

About the BB data plan-

I upload a lot pictures from my phone directly to my Facebook app, are those covered under the data plan or are those considered pix messages under my text plan?

0 Likes
workaholick
Yes it is covered. I did the same thing on facebook, & didnot get charged for text messages.
0 Likes
workaholick
What does copper contributor or silver contributor mean?
0 Likes