LG Cosmos Touch - Help Remove Daily Scoop, Please!!
J77

I just got the Cosmos Touch within the last week.  I do NOT want Daily Scoop.  I only have texting and phone - no data.  I called Verizon to have it deactivated and they told me they couldn't do that.  I had them block access to all data, internet, etc.  Only leave access to text and phone.  The phone was automatically downloading the Daily Scoop stuff within 12 hrs of activation.  Now, even after calling VZ, going thru the Remove under the application a dozen times and stopping messages, I am constantly getting a message on my phone that I have a new Media Center Message and then it automatically tries to connect to Daily Scoop.  I don't what it at all.  I want to remove it completely from the phone.  I went thru the instructions under the questions about Daily Scoop on the Verizon site, but it didn't work.  I don't have "Get It Now".  I went thru Media Center, Browse and Download, Daily Scoop and Remove.  The garbage can comes up and says it's erased, but it is still there constantly sending me messages.  I also shut off phone and had Verizon refresh the phone to the new settings....nothing!  I am tired of Verizon employees not being able to answer a question or do anything to help a customer!  The only reason I have Verizon is that nothing else comes in where I live in the country.  NOT happy with them at all!  Please help stop Daily Scoop!

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: LG Cosmos Touch - Help Remove Daily Scoop, Please!!
ChristinaB_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hi White1200c,

I can assist you with the Daily Scoop application. I understand your frustration. Please note that the Daily Scoop is a pre-loaded application, so it cannot be removed. However, if you follow the steps I have outlined below, you will no longer see the phone lighting up and using battery life. 

• Launch Daily Scoop
• Select ‘Menu->Options->Verizon Msgs’
• Choose ‘Off’ and ‘Save’.

• Repeat the same procedure for ‘Menu->Options->Bonus Msgs’

I hope this information is helpful for you and your device. Have a good day!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
ibmomof2
Enthusiast - Level 1

I should just copy and paste your post because it's what I would say word for word. I've had my cosmo touch exactly 1 week and between the daily scoop and the "new media message" I'm getting, I'm ready to toss this phone. In fact, I had planned on returning it today until I found that my husband sent in the rebate already. (Even though I said to wait!)

I've read on several forums about this problem but have yet to fund any solution. It's amazing that Verizon/LG say there isn't a problem, when clearly there is.

SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

This, from the Terms and Conditions on the Daily Scoop FAQ pages:

You may "opt out" or cancel your subscription to the Service by calling Verizon Customer Service and following cancellation procedures. Mobile Posse will cancel your account upon receipt of such notification from you.

It also says there is no charge for Daily Scoop notifications:

Once installed, there is no charge to use Daily Scoop. You are not charged a subscription fee, application fee, or transport charges for using the application.

I also found this:

How do I cancel Daily Scoop?

If Daily Scoop was preinstalled on your phone when you purchased it, you may turn on or off notifications for both Verizon Messages and Bonus Messages through the application directly:

1. Launch Daily Scoop: Media Center → Browse & Download menu → Description: http://www.vzdailyscoop.com/dsicon.png (Daily Scoop icon)
2. In Daily Scoop: Menu → Options → Verizon Msgs → On/Off
3. In Daily Scoop: Menu → Options → Bonus Msgs → On/Off
4. You will still be able to access messages from the application, but you will not receive banner notifications on your home screen.
5. In addition you can personalize content you receive and confirm or update your ZIP code by choosing "Options" from within the Recent Info & Offers Menu and selecting Personalize.
6. You may also choose to suspend your account by contacting vzdailyscoopsupport@mobileposse.com.

If you downloaded Daily Scoop to your phone, you may choose to simply turn off sound notifications. You may also choose to contact customer support at vzdailyscoopsupport@mobileposse.com. You can delete the application from your phone entirely:

1. Main Menu → GET IT NOW menu → Tools on the Go → Description: http://www.vzdailyscoop.com/dsicon.png Daily Scoop → Options → Delete/Cancel
2. Or Main Menu → Media Center menu → Browse & Download → Description: http://www.vzdailyscoop.com/dsicon.png Daily Scoop → Options → Erase

0 Likes
J77

I have done all of the things that you suggest as I mentioned before.   I have "erased" it at least 20 times where the garbage can comes up and indicates it is erased and then low and behold, there it still is.  All of the messages have also been shut off and I have called Verizon to "opt out".   However, they said the couldn't help with that as it was preinstalled and they didn't know what to do.  That it was LG's problem.  I don't believe that when I am a Verizon customer - they should be able to stop it.  I even had a higher tier person assist in the call who was clueless.  Yes, it does cost extra money if one doesn't have a data package.  As I mentioned before, I only have texting and phone, so getting offers does cost money by using data.  The Daily Scoop itself is free, but the data usage to get it is not. 

All I want is to totally remove Daily Scoop.  I don't even care if it were to be totally free at this point, which it is not.  I am tired of all the Media Center Messages that automatically want to connect.  Frustrating to get over 5 every day on something that I didn't subscribe to and have tried repeatedly to remove.

0 Likes
JohnB_VZW
Verizon Employee

If Daily Scoop was preinstalled on your phone when you purchased it, you may turn on or off notifications for both Verizon Messages and Bonus Messages through the application directly:

1. Launch Daily Scoop: Media Center → Browse & Download menu → Description: http://www.vzdailyscoop.com/dsicon.png (Daily Scoop icon)
  2. In Daily Scoop: Menu → Options → Verizon Msgs → On/Off
  3. In Daily Scoop: Menu → Options → Bonus Msgs → On/Off
  4. You will still be able to access messages from the application, but you will not receive banner notifications on your home screen.
  5. In addition you can personalize content you receive and confirm or update your ZIP code by choosing "Options" from within the Recent Info & Offers Menu and selecting Personalize.
  6. You may also choose to suspend your account by contacting vzdailyscoopsupport@mobileposse.com.

If you downloaded Daily Scoop to your phone, you may choose to simply turn off sound notifications. You may also choose to contact customer support at vzdailyscoopsupport@mobileposse.com. You can delete the application from your phone entirely:

1. Main Menu → GET IT NOW menu → Tools on the Go → Description: http://www.vzdailyscoop.com/dsicon.png Daily Scoop → Options → Delete/Cancel Or
  2. Main Menu → Media Center menu → Browse & Download → Description: http://www.vzdailyscoop.com/dsicon.png Daily Scoop → Options → Erase

For more information on Daily Scoop click here.

If you are still unable to cancel this application please send us a private message with your name, mobile number and contact information so we can better assist you.

Thanks

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader
Ummmm, JohhB - isn't that exactly what I posted? That the OP already said didn't work??
0 Likes
J77

Actually, I did e-mail the customer service directly.  I did get an e-mail back quicker than I expected.  But, it did nothing but tell me they are sorry, yadda, yadda and that they attempted to call me to work it out.  Well, that was a lie as I was home all day with my cell and home phone on and there were no calls whatsoever to either.  Then it indicated to call the general customer service number.  Nice, I can stay on hold and talk to another rep. for an hour that can't help me.  Why can't I get a number directly to someone, anyone who can figure this out?  I see this is an ongoing problem for many, many Cosmos Touch users.  There are different discussions on here I have found in searching for answers.  Most are under "Media Center Messages", however there are no answers there either that have helped me at all.  These "Media Center Messages" frequent at least 5 a day and are battery draining.  Mine go directly to Downloading Daily Scoop.  I see some have had problems with Backup Assistant too. 

There are also several discussions on the LG site, one here 

http://www.lgforum.com/forum/boards/carriers/verizon/topics/lg-cosmos-touch-new-media-message-batter...

referencing the same issues.  Again, with no answers. 

Did neither LG or Verizon think that this was a problem?  Do they care that it is?  Not everyone wants all the extras that require data and the extra money it costs.  Why can't either LG or Verizon get this situation resolved?  It is a problem affecting lots and lots of people! 

0 Likes
jc_1

I have been having the same issues with my LG Cosmo Touch.  Agree...VERY annoying.  Contacted VZW Daily Scoop Support as suggested above and got this response:

---------

We have recently uncovered an issue where phones with data settings turned OFF (as mine was) cannot connect to the Daily Scoop servers. Since the application is pre-installed on the phone - it cannot be removed or deleted through the normal app management feature.  You must check in to the servers to disable.

We can fix this issue with a bit of your help:

-Have Verizon customer service turn on the data feature
-Go into the Daily Scoop application and press next. It will download content
-E-mail us to know it is on and you have downloaded content, and we will suspend it
-Once it is suspended, then you can turn the data feature off, and you will not receive alerts anymore

To answer your last e-mail, when the Daily Scoop is suspended by us, I will send you a confirmation e-mail. It will take 24 hours to take effect, and then no longer will try to send you notifications or initialize.
---------

Not sure if my having a block on data access was the problem, but should know by this time tomorrow if results are favorable.  Not sure why I would need to download content in order to disable.  If that is the case, then VZ should stop pre-installing these apps and let me drive what I want on my phone or not.

Cross your fingers!

0 Likes
J77

I too talked again today to someone and got a very similar answer about downloading it to cancel it.  I do so hope this works.  I am sure there will be many people thankful and following these instructions if it does.  What a below gutter move that was for Verizon to do.  Shame on you Verizon!!  We aren't asking for these apps, or to use them and we have to connect to the internet and pay for data usage to cancel what we didn't want in the first place?!?  You should be ashamed!  I hope all who have this problem are calling to get the data charges removed that they incurred while canceling what they didn't want in the first place.  All the hours I have spent trying to get this to stop seems like such a waste when it could have been avoided if not for the greed of Verizon and LG. 

Another note, I too had the data block and it was removed today in order to connect to cancel - dumb.  The lady told me that by having the data block on my phone, I will NOT be able to send any voice or pictures thru a text - words only.  Is this true?  My friend then told me that he has a data block and can still send pictures and voice messages.  Verizon indicated I can't send a picture with data blocked, my friend said yes.  At this point, I am inclined to believe my friend more.  What is the answer, please!?  Problem after problem after problem with Verizon. 

Funny that this phone has been out since November and the rep I talked to today said that after talking to 'the company's reps" for the Mobile Posse I am guessing, that they have just come to notice that this is an issue.  Shocking.  I have found posts back to November where people were having problems on this site, LG site and various other ones.  Why are these apps preinstalled on phones that don't require a data package in the first place?  Swing and a miss this time VZ and LG.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

J77 wrote:

... Another note, I too had the data block and it was removed today in order to connect to cancel - dumb. It does seem a bit crazy - I agree.   The lady told me that by having the data block on my phone, I will NOT be able to send any voice or pictures thru a text - words only.  Is this true?  My friend then told me that he has a data block and can still send pictures and voice messages.  Verizon indicated I can't send a picture with data blocked, my friend said yes.  At this point, I am inclined to believe my friend more.  What is the answer, please!? It all depends on what type of a data block you have - so technically they are both right.  A TOTAL data block WILL block picture messaging.  But you can block application downloads, mobile web, and other data services WITHOUT blocking picture messaging.  So your friend likely has most of his data services blocked  and is still able to send and receive picture messages.   Problem after problem after problem with Verizon.