Samsung 4G LTE problem
seattledave

I'm using the Samsung 4G LTE wireless hotspot and when it's working it is blazing fast and a huge improvement over my MiFi 2200.  It's started doing something interesting.  The 4G signal seems to be stable, the light is a yellow/green, but the WiFi connection out to my laptop is having problems.  It will work fine for a while, with the blue light blinking away, but then all of a sudden, it goes to WiFi Standby and the light turns green and my laptop loses the wireless connection.  Then, 5-10 seconds will pass and then the light will turn blue again, my laptop will eventually find the connection and start working again, only to have it disappear 30 seconds later.

I tried a hard reset of the device, and that seemed to work for a while and then went right back to its old tricks.  I thought about hard cabling it to the laptop, but the VZ Access Mgr wouldn't recognize my hardware.

Tags (3)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Samsung 4G LTE problem
Ubuntu_Guy
Enthusiast - Level 1

I recently upgraded from a 5 Spot 3G to the new Samsung 4G and had the same problem with wifi constantly connecting and disconnecting, rendering the device useless.  I prefer to only use Ubuntu Linux for every thing and the Verizon people were not very helpful beyond the typical hit the reset button type of answers.  They finally told me they don't support Linux and gave me the option to return it.  Here is what I discovered.  The encryption protocol being used by default was the problem.  Once I changed it in the device, my connections are rock solid.  I have also tried it in a Windows XP machine (which I needed to get get into the device to begin with) without problems as well.  Here are detailed instructions on how to change the security from WPA (TKIP) to WPA2 (AES).

First, you need a Windows or Mac box to connect to the device via wifi.  Hopefully, your connection will stay up long enough to follow these instructions, otherwise you can bring it to a Verizon store, they can log into the device from one of their machines if need be.
Open a browser and go to 192.168.1.1
At the log in page, enter the same password that you used to connect to the device in Windows or Mac.  It is also printed on a label above the battery.  You can see it after you remove the battery cover.

Click on the "Network" tab at the top of the screen.
Below that where it says LAN WiFi, click the WiFi button
Click the "Manual Configuration" button.
On the "Security" line click the drop down where it says WPA/Personal/PSK (TKIP)
Change this to WPA2/Personal/PSK (AES)
The password field just below it will now be blank.  Simply reenter the same password that you used before.
Click "Apply" at the bottom of the page.

It will now warn you that you have not changed the profile name and you should delete the profile from whatever Windows was using to ID the device.  This is important as Windows will keep using the old device profile with the wrong encryption and it will fail to connect.  Just use what ever software you use to manage wireless connections to delete the old device profile and then search for and reaquire the device.  Reenter the password and you should be good to go.

Return the Windows/MAC box to the owner and say thank you.

Boot up your Ubuntu box and it should just work.  No further configuration should  be needed.

I hope changing the encryption from WPA (TKIP) to WPA2 (AES) works as well for you as it did for me.  I have been cruising around for over an hour now with the 4G device and it's great.  Speedtest.net tells me I get about 18.75 Mb down and 4.75 Mb up with a latency of 85 ms.

Have fun, to learn more about Ubuntu Linux go to www.ubuntu.com

View solution in original post

0 Likes
blah

I am having a similar problem where when I am using the Samsung 4G LTE mobile hotspot, and it is plugged into power, it will very frequently just turn itself off, and the connection obviously dies.  I end up having to hold down the power button again to power it back on.  Doing so, it lasts for another 5 minutes of browsing, and shuts itself off again.  Keep in mind, the device is plugged into power the whole time this is happening.  Also, the device is getting very warm to the touch.

Thoughts?  It's about to go back to the store if I have to put up with this much longer.

0 Likes
blah

Oh hey, SeattleDave, the device will not currently work with VZ Access Manager.  The USB port is only for charging right now.  I hope they can potentially fix that with a firmware update down the road, because I did enjoy using VZAM at times on my old 3G Mifi.

0 Likes
red332

Same exact issue here.  Thing died 5 times just trying to make this post.  What a waste this thing has been so far.  Verizon/Samsung, get your act together on this.

0 Likes
primortal
Master - Level 1

At least yours is working :smileyhappy:

Mine will connect to the 4G/3G network but the wifi never turns on even after a hard reset.  VZW is sending me a replacement, finger crossed....

0 Likes
JesL

Our company bought 4 of these devices.  On the first one I tried, we had the same problem as the original post: The WiFi connection would randomly drop for 30 seconds or so.  On the second one, we had the same problem as the later post: The MiFi would only stay on for up to 5 minutes, then turn off.

Needless to say, very frustring...

0 Likes
tail

I'm seeing the same problem with the wifi dropping out.  It appears to happen to me most when I'm under tunnels and I get switched to 3G from 4G.  After about 2 minutes, WiFi came back.  This is what I saw in the diagnostics page:

[ 04/07/2011 10:45:00am ]  BSS Stopped: 04/07/2011 10:45:34am
[ 04/07/2011 10:45:00am ]  WLAN Disabled: 04/07/2011 10:45:34am
[ 04/07/2011 10:47:00am ]  WLAN Enabled: 04/07/2011 10:47:17am
[ 04/07/2011 10:47:00am ]  BSS Started: 04/07/2011 10:47:18am

0 Likes
EdW_VZW
Verizon Employee

Thanks for your feedback. Added to what was stated, perhaps you can perform a master reset on your Mifi device. This can help see if there is something else is causing the problem that a hard reset did not resolve. Please make sure you use the exact steps per the link to ensure the proper steps are being performed.

The link is: http://support.vzw.com/clc/devices/knowledge_base.html?id=39878

Thanks,

edw@vzwsupport

Follow us on Twitter www.twitter.com/vzwsupport   

0 Likes
Ubuntu_Guy
Enthusiast - Level 1

I recently upgraded from a 5 Spot 3G to the new Samsung 4G and had the same problem with wifi constantly connecting and disconnecting, rendering the device useless.  I prefer to only use Ubuntu Linux for every thing and the Verizon people were not very helpful beyond the typical hit the reset button type of answers.  They finally told me they don't support Linux and gave me the option to return it.  Here is what I discovered.  The encryption protocol being used by default was the problem.  Once I changed it in the device, my connections are rock solid.  I have also tried it in a Windows XP machine (which I needed to get get into the device to begin with) without problems as well.  Here are detailed instructions on how to change the security from WPA (TKIP) to WPA2 (AES).

First, you need a Windows or Mac box to connect to the device via wifi.  Hopefully, your connection will stay up long enough to follow these instructions, otherwise you can bring it to a Verizon store, they can log into the device from one of their machines if need be.
Open a browser and go to 192.168.1.1
At the log in page, enter the same password that you used to connect to the device in Windows or Mac.  It is also printed on a label above the battery.  You can see it after you remove the battery cover.

Click on the "Network" tab at the top of the screen.
Below that where it says LAN WiFi, click the WiFi button
Click the "Manual Configuration" button.
On the "Security" line click the drop down where it says WPA/Personal/PSK (TKIP)
Change this to WPA2/Personal/PSK (AES)
The password field just below it will now be blank.  Simply reenter the same password that you used before.
Click "Apply" at the bottom of the page.

It will now warn you that you have not changed the profile name and you should delete the profile from whatever Windows was using to ID the device.  This is important as Windows will keep using the old device profile with the wrong encryption and it will fail to connect.  Just use what ever software you use to manage wireless connections to delete the old device profile and then search for and reaquire the device.  Reenter the password and you should be good to go.

Return the Windows/MAC box to the owner and say thank you.

Boot up your Ubuntu box and it should just work.  No further configuration should  be needed.

I hope changing the encryption from WPA (TKIP) to WPA2 (AES) works as well for you as it did for me.  I have been cruising around for over an hour now with the 4G device and it's great.  Speedtest.net tells me I get about 18.75 Mb down and 4.75 Mb up with a latency of 85 ms.

Have fun, to learn more about Ubuntu Linux go to www.ubuntu.com

0 Likes
DaveSeattle
Enthusiast - Level 2

That worked perfectly!  Thanks.  I changed the encryption to AES from TKIP and it hasn't dropped the WiFi once.

On a side note, who's the idiot that designed this forum.  I had to create a new user account because the old one never gave me a chance to activate it and now it won't let me resend the activation message.  Bad design.