Unable to force 3G in spotty 4G areas.
FullTimeRver

Boy, had a terrible support dialog with Verizon.

I am on the fringe of a 4G coverage area. Still, my Thunderbolt picks up 3 bars under 4g.  Yet when I try to use the "internet", it hangs, then after 2 minutes the msg "Web page not available" appears. How do I solve it?  Power off, then on.  Then as it searches for a connection, it first discovers "1x", then 3G before evenually going on to 4G.  It is during 3G that I get good browser response.  Once Thunderbolt gets to 4G, it rarely reverts thus giving me an essentially unusable internet.

Thing is, 2 manufacturers (Pantech & LG)  developed USB modems usiing Verizon LTE's world with this feature available.  Even my router manufacturer (Cradlepoint) provided updated firmware so I can directly connect the USB 4G modems to the router  and through the router menu, force 3G connections for this same scenario.

How in God's Green Earth can 2 manufacturers understand this dilema and yet Verizon not provide this software feature in the Thunderbolt?  Somebody asked on the Verizon support forum about forcing 3G under the Droid X.  The "solved solution" was to "download the update".   If Verizon provided this feature for the Droid X, why not Thunderbolt.

Support told me "that was the nature of new products just released".   No other option.

Somebody tell me there is an answer somewhere in this forum.

FullTimeRver

0 Likes
Re: Unable to force 3G in spotty 4G areas.
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

A toggle would make sense but there isn't one (apparently it's coming "soon" though).  One suggestion is to go to the dialer and enter *#*#4636#*#*.  Hit Phone Information and scroll down to "Set preferred network type" and change that to CDMA (auto PRL).  Use the back softkey to back out to your home screen.

0 Likes
FullTimeRver

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU !!

I did not flag this "Accept this as solution" of course.   I look forward to a more user friendly update from Verizon,  and soon!

FullTimeRVer.

0 Likes
Not applicable
This 4G/3G nonsense with Verizon is exactly why I will never buy a 4G phone or convert my new Xoom (due Monday) to 4G until this is 100 percent resolved. NEVER be an early adopter.
0 Likes
FullTimeRver

FYI  FYI

After forcing 3G on my phone, the phone is behaving a little different.

1st, the FAST BOOT feature is disabled.  I have no idea why but I was able to re-establish it by resetting the Network Mode back to 4G. 

Also, it seems that power on / off button is at times unresponsive.  ( It could be me ).

FullTimeRver

0 Likes
DaveP1
Enthusiast - Level 2

From other posts, I understand that FastBoot requires either an active 4G or WiFi connection so it makes sense that it would be disabled if you are only on 3G. Why FastBoot requires that is a different question.

0 Likes
djalpine

FullTimeRver wrote:

Boy, had a terrible support dialog with Verizon.

I am on the fringe of a 4G coverage area. Still, my Thunderbolt picks up 3 bars under 4g.  Yet when I try to use the "internet", it hangs, then after 2 minutes the msg "Web page not available" appears. How do I solve it?  Power off, then on.  Then as it searches for a connection, it first discovers "1x", then 3G before evenually going on to 4G.  It is during 3G that I get good browser response.  Once Thunderbolt gets to 4G, it rarely reverts thus giving me an essentially unusable internet.

Thing is, 2 manufacturers (Pantech & LG)  developed USB modems usiing Verizon LTE's world with this feature available.  Even my router manufacturer (Cradlepoint) provided updated firmware so I can directly connect the USB 4G modems to the router  and through the router menu, force 3G connections for this same scenario.

How in God's Green Earth can 2 manufacturers understand this dilema and yet Verizon not provide this software feature in the Thunderbolt?  Somebody asked on the Verizon support forum about forcing 3G under the Droid X.  The "solved solution" was to "download the update".   If Verizon provided this feature for the Droid X, why not Thunderbolt.

Can you clarify what feature VZW provided for the Droid X? Droid X is not 4G compatible so I am confused on the last sentence you wrote above.

0 Likes
jeffpc
Enthusiast - Level 3

That's us too. First time verizon customers, my wife and I got the new thunderbolts.  Never had issue with carrier AT&T for our area for 3g, but verizon we don't even get one bar.  Talking on it from our house cuts out and lots of background noise.  I expect is due to signal strength.  I called to see if maybe they offer anything to help and suggested some kind of verizon network extender, but want 299.00 for it.  I would of thought they would of at least tried to meet us in the middle on the price, and since we are only on day 6 of having the phones, I expect we will be leaving verizon and going back to AT&T.  I would of thought Verizon would of fought harder to keep us as customers.  Guess not. :smileysad:

0 Likes
random64
Contributor - Level 2

How about a "Poor man's 4G toggle" shortcut on one of your home panels?

See:

http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-thunderbolt/69957-poor-mans-4g-toggle.html

BTW, I found this while reading the following TB review:

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/htc-thunderbolt-review-americas-next-top-android-phone/46745

You implement the shortcut using a free app called "Any Cut", which allows you to create almost any shortcut you want -- many more than through the Add Widget / Add Shortcut procedure.  (For example, I used this app to add a Call History icon, which wasn't available otherwise).  Note, it says it want permission to control your phone sleep, WiFi, Bluetooth, etc. but it's only because you may using it to install a shortcut to control those.  "Any Cut" is a very useful app.

Here is the steps as posted:

1. Download Any Cut
2. Once downloaded, run the app and Select New Shortcut.
3. Select Activity.
4. Scroll way down to Phone Info and select it.
5. Rename it to what you want it called and tap OK.
6. A new shortcut will be on your homescreen.
7. Go into the newly created shortcut and scroll down to Set Preffered network type:

For 3G only, select: CDMA auto (PRL)
To go back to 3G/4G select: CDMA + LTE/EvDo auto

0 Likes
bdenny

I downloaded the app and this does not seem to be working for me.

When I first got the phone a week ago it would connect to the 3g (4g is not around my area yet)

At work 4g is spotty and it would connect sometimes. So I noticed today that the phone does not connect at all anymore.

I get no 4g/3g or even 1x. downloaded the app and tried several settings and once the 1X network showed and it when to 3g then dropped it totally. Any other setting I get no icon and mobile network in settings says connection error and ping test fails. 

OF course connent via WiFi and all works well.

Anybody else had this issue?   I think it is a bad phone.

thanks

Bob

0 Likes