Re: iPhone GPS
upnorth
Contributor - Level 1

Navigon now has a 50% off sale on their apps. The US and Canada version is down to $30, which is half of what I paid in December. The US regional versions are only $15.

0 Likes
lou61166
Contributor - Level 1

brichi wrote:

but it wont work "offline", thats the important part

Very true the iphone has no true GPS antenna it is network dependent.

0 Likes
mamarro
Contributor - Level 2

Does anyone have any thoughts on TomTom vs. Navigon?

Both will work offline, etc.  TomTom is on sale for $35 right now and Navigon's US version is on sale for $25.  You can get your region with Navigon for $15, but you can get the whole US for $10 more, so I think that is a better deal.  You never know if you travel last minute and may need more than your region.....the regions are broken up into 3 of them, so at $15/each, that comes to $45, so $25 seems great!

I have a TomTom portable (my wife uses it) and I love it.  I am just not sure which may be better (the extra $10 between them in price right now isn't a huge deal) for the iPhone, so I am curious if anyone has any thoughts?

0 Likes
girlgenius16

So, I've finally got my iPhone, and wanted to give my opinion on the GPS apps I've used so far, and would also like some input from all of you!

**Please keep in mind that I am reviewing these apps based on software versions that are up-to-date as of 3/22**

What I'm looking for:  I rely on GPS a lot when I travel, since I venture out of my neck of the woods alot.  I need something that is (most importantly) accurate, and with clear turn-by-turn navigation with spoken street names.  Even though I will be using a GPS dock, I'd rather not have to constantly watch the map for upcoming turns.  I don't mind paying for a good quality navigation app, as this prevents me from having to buy a standalone GPS to lug around with me in addition to my phone.  I've heard good things about TomTom and Navigon, but am hesitant to try them out without hearing input from Verizon-specific iPhone 4 users.

VZ Navigator:  I currently have this app on my phone, and will probably continue to use it for awhile since it is charged monthly and I'm not committed to keeping it. I really liked it on previous phones I've owned, but is definitely a downgrade from Google Maps Navigation I was using with Android.

Pros:  Accurate maps;simple interface

Cons: Won't rotate to landscape mode.  Big problem since I'd like to use a horizonal GPS dock;  Somewhat slow at telling me turns; BING; Same voice issue as MotionX GPS Drie (please see below)

MotionX GPS Drive:  I like this app so far, and am currently inside my 30-day trial period before I have to start paying monthly or yearly for the spoken street names.  Not sure if I'm going to keep this app or not. One problem I have is that when I'm approaching a turn I'm supposed to make, it announces the street I'm turning on, but doesn't say whether I'm supposed to be making a right or left turn until I'm right at the intersection.  This causes major issues when I'm in an unfamiliar area and don't know which direction I'm headed.  I've had to make a few u-turns because of this downfall.  I find it a little dangerous to stare at the maps (although very accurate and animated) while I'm driving.  It almost sounds as if it WANTS to announce the complete voice cue, but gets cut off right before announcing the street name.

Pros:  Great user interface; rotates to landscape; clear voice instruction

Cons: Maps are better than voice instruction

Mapquest 4 Mobile:  I pretty much got what I was expecting out of an app that is 100% free.  Not good for much other than getting a general idea of a route before heading out.

Pros: Very accurate directions

Cons: User interface is not the greatest; Had a hard time locking into a good GPS signal with this app and therefore probably won't use it while driving

Before using these apps, I've closed out running background apps and turned off WiFi.  Some users on various forums have said that doing these things helps with navigation.

Is anyone else having the same issues I am with GPS?  Any other programs you recommend that are worth spending the money on?  Any input is appreciated!

0 Likes
rsu1981
Enthusiast - Level 2

lou61166 wrote:

brichi wrote:

but it wont work "offline", thats the important part

Very true the iphone has no true GPS antenna it is network dependant.

The iphone DOES have a true GPS antenna. Just installed Copilot, now only $4.99. Turned off data and it worked flawlessly. Copilot Live is $9.99 a year with 30 day free trial. You need data on for Copilot Live, but the GPS work fine without it. Head to head Copilot was rated higher than Tom Tom for a fraction of the price. Well worth 5 bucks.

0 Likes
girlgenius16

So, I looked into the issue with the audio "cut-off" I've been experiencing with GPS apps, and got a response back from MotionX Drive GPS that says:

"Are you listening to directions over a bluetooth connection? There is an iPhone OS bug that can cause voice guidance to be cut off over bluetooth, because it opens the audio connection too late."

That says a lot.  I stopped using the bluetooth car kit, and that fixed the audio problem.  Now, I just have to decide which app is the most accurate and provides the most descriptive turn instruction.

I'll wait until all of my 30 day trials are up before reporting back on my final decision.  For the rest of you--good luck!

0 Likes