can I connect to a dial-up number with my uml290?
idee
Enthusiast - Level 3

My company has a dial in number that I can connect to and access internal webmail via an old time modem.  Is there a way I can use the uml290 to do the same?  I tried to setup a new provider with that number, but it didn't take.   Is this possible and what are the steps/settings?

thanks

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: can I connect to a dial-up number with my uml290?
enyalius
Contributor - Level 1

idee,

To my knowledge, this is not possible.  The USB modems do not support phone service, and can only connect to the data networks of your provider, to my knowledge.

0 Likes
usher

I know that with the Mac setup it actually uses a dialup connection of sorts but I've not yet figured out how to add the modem as a modem and set an APN for it to be able to connect using Windows.

If you Google/Bing how to do it for Mac, it's pretty simple and seems to work.  Wondering if anyone has explicit directions on how to do this for Windows 7.

0 Likes
enyalius
Contributor - Level 1

Usher,

That is not entirely true.  While it may look like dialup, the modem is not actually dialing a number.  To connect via the 'machack' way, you have OS X dial the number assigned to the actual card, not a dial-up server.  The phone number you are "dialing", though, is not a phone number at all, but a dummy used for authentication.

It used to be that the old 3G modems would "dial" #777 to connect (which also works, in some cases, with 4G), but, again, you are not dialing a phone number here; you're simply connecting to Verizon's data network.

0 Likes
usher

You are correct sir. I'm just trying to figure out how to set that up so as to not have to deal with VZAccessManager :smileyhappy:

0 Likes
idee
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks all.  I had tried various things, but hoped there was an answer.  Usher, there is a Mac/Linux solution for this devise.  Look at this post here for the specifics in Linux. (that is what I am running).  It won't give you all the Mac stuff, but ther are references and links to the Mac side.

thanks again

0 Likes
bbuckner

Yes you can do this. 

To manually configure a dial up connection with a UML290 from verizon do the following:

1. Install the drivers for the usb modem. (I had to install VZAM first to get the drivers then uninstall VZAM.)

2. Configure a dial up connection selecting the UML290 for the modem.

3. Dial *99***3# for the dial up number.

4. The username is the 9 digit phone number on the device followed by @vzw4g.com.

5. The password is vzw. 

This allows me to use the UML290 WITHOUT vzaccess manager.  Interestingly the speed tests I did on speedtests.net are much higher than they were using VZAM. 

0 Likes