Intel Centrino Advanced-N WIMAX 6250 (4G Network)
WIMAXchallenged

I am ordering a new Dell XPS 17 (L701??) laptop and need advice on what wireless option to order.  I currently have a Dell Inspiron 8600 laptop and a Dell Dimension 3000 desktop computer both of which can access the internet by using a Verizon 720 USB modem (Qualcomm 3G CDMA) for broadband internet access.  I do not have DSL as I live in a remote area of Georgia approximately 75 miles southwest of Atlanta.  When Verizon 4G LTE becomes available in my area I plan to subscribe to it with whatever wireless attachment it requires.  So here are my questions:

1.  Will my current Verizon 720 Modem work with my new computer if the Intel Centrino Advanced WIMAX feature is installed on the system?

2.  When Verizon 4G LTE becomes available in my area will the Intel Centrino Advanced WIMAX feature on my new computer in any inhibit or thwart my ability to use the new Verizon 4g network?

3.  I use my laptop in my motorhome about 5 months out of the year visiting both metropolitan and remote areas of the US.  I'm considering the Dell Intel Centrino WIMAX option with the hope/expectation that this feature will give me greater access speed to the internet.  If this is not the case, then I won't order it.  Or, if this feature can only be used with a SPRINT wireless plan then obviously I would not be interested in it at all.

Any advice anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks for your help.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Intel Centrino Advanced-N WIMAX 6250 (4G Network)
M91-30
Contributor - Level 1
the wimax feature should not hurt your ability to do anything. however, dell's software is crap as far as what it will let you do, since it likes to dominate over windows. that being said, the wimax it uses is not verizon's 4g technology, so there is no benefit, either. for the wimax to work, you have to have a supported network available, though I'm unsure if sprint's wimax is compatible.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
M91-30
Contributor - Level 1
the wimax feature should not hurt your ability to do anything. however, dell's software is crap as far as what it will let you do, since it likes to dominate over windows. that being said, the wimax it uses is not verizon's 4g technology, so there is no benefit, either. for the wimax to work, you have to have a supported network available, though I'm unsure if sprint's wimax is compatible.
0 Likes
toughbook
Contributor - Level 1

That is Intel's WiMax program. It has nothing to do with Broadband use. As an example, if you are connected to a WLAN and have that feature turned on, then your laptop will broadcast a wifi signal for other laptops to connect to. I think it's a maximun # of 5 or 8 connections and I can't remember how close they have to be.

It has nothing to do with any Broadband at all.

0 Likes
WIMAXchallenged

M91-30, thanks so much for clarifying this issue for me.  Truly appreciate it.  Very helpful.  Merry Christmas

0 Likes
WIMAXchallenged

Toughbook, thanks for the speedy reply and clarification. I appreciate the input. Very helpful.  Merry Christmas!

0 Likes
toughbook
Contributor - Level 1

You are very welcome! Have a great holiday yourself.

0 Likes
NVRambo

FWIW, it's not "Dell's crappy software". Nice.

The OP's question involves the INTEL WiMax software GUI/interface for the N6250 Intel card.

0 Likes
NVRambo

I think you might be confusing the Intel 6250 N WiMax with the Intel Centrino WPAN internal functions (wireless personal network).

Y'all help me out if I'm wrong.

I'm in this thread for the same reason as the original poster;  I've got a client's (they are a current Verizon customer 3G and want to go 4G LTE) brand new Toshiba Satellite here which has the Intel WiMax 4G software and internal card.

The question remains:  Is the Intel 6250 N / 4G  card compatible with Verizon's 4G LTE network?

Or - as I suspect - will the laptop owner have to purchase the 4G plan, a 4G USB modem and install the VZ access manager software for Verizon 4G LTE?

That's the question.

PS: the client didn't pay extra (per se) for the included WiMax hardware/software/"features".  It came with the machine.

Thanks all.

0 Likes
WIMAXchallenged

To; NVRambo, toughbook, & M91-30....thanks ya'll for your help.  I have received my new Dell computer and have learned the following:  The wireless internet connection on my new computer works fine with my existing Verizon USB 720 modem and current Verizon plan.  The Intel Centrino WIMAX 6250 is of no value without changing plans from Verizon to (Sprint? AT&T?).  I have disabled the WIMAX feature on my new computer and will only use it in the future if I decide to change from my current  ISP to another provider.  As for whether my current USB 720 modem  will work with the new Verizon 4G LTE, that is still an open question.  As Rambo suggests, I SUSPECT that if I am interested in Verizon's 4G, I will have to purchase a new 4G modem, and sign up for a new 4G contract at whatever that enhanced feature price is.  As for now, my internet connection seems to be working just fine but I obviously am enjoying no benefit from the WIMAX feature as it is currently disabled on my new computer.  Thanks again for all your help.  Ken  

0 Likes