Re: Merry Christmas to all n00bs out there, some pages you might want to look at.
AZSALUKI
Legend

pardon my ignorance....but if you turn off the phone or even the data connection, then why bother bringing it in to work with you? or can u set it on wifi, without 3g, and still use it without having it constantly look for the data signal? what i'm getting at is are you still able to call, text, email, etc.....or can you not do those things if the data is turned off? 

0 Likes
Re: Merry Christmas to all n00bs out there, some pages you might want to look at.
rcschnoor
Legend

AZSALUKI wrote:

pardon my ignorance....but if you turn off the phone or even the data connection, then why bother bringing it in to work with you? or can u set it on wifi, without 3g, and still use it without having it constantly look for the data signal? what i'm getting at is are you still able to call, text, email, etc.....or can you not do those things if the data is turned off? 

I don't turn the phone off, but only turn off the data and phone connection while in my office. I do this instead of turning off the phone since it is quicker to toggle these two things off/on if I leave my office for another part of the building. My company does not permit personal devices(cell phones, laptops) to connect to its network, so no, I cannot use wifi with my cell phone while at work. No, I am not able to call, text, email, etc... while I am in my office, EVEN IF I DO NOT TOGGLE THESE THINGS OFF AS I DO NOT HAVE SERVICE IN MY OFFICE! Even if I had service, why would I email or call on my cell. I have a computer with a full size keyboard and a phone sitting right next to me.

Why do I bring my cell in to work with me? Because I do not instantaneously arrive at work from home. I drive to work, run errands, etc... I sometimes make use of my cell phone during this time. I also take my cell with me if I leave my office for another location.

Hope this helps with your questions.

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

rcschnoor wrote:

AZSALUKI wrote:

I don't turn the phone off, but only turn off the data and phone connection while in my office. I do this instead of turning off the phone since it is quicker to toggle these two things off/on if I leave my office for another part of the building. My company does not permit personal devices(cell phones, laptops) to connect to its network, so no, I cannot use wifi with my cell phone while at work. No, I am not able to call, text, email, etc... while I am in my office, EVEN IF I DO NOT TOGGLE THESE THINGS OFF AS I DO NOT HAVE SERVICE IN MY OFFICE! Even if I had service, why would I email or call on my cell. I have a computer with a full size keyboard and a phone sitting right next to me.

Why do I bring my cell in to work with me? Because I do not instantaneously arrive at work from home. I drive to work, run errands, etc... I sometimes make use of my cell phone during this time. I also take my cell with me if I leave my office for another location.

Throw that bad boy into airplane mode,  toggling one thing is even faster than toggling two.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

demmo86rt wrote:

rcschnoor wrote:

AZSALUKI wrote:

Throw that bad boy into airplane mode,  toggling one thing is even faster than toggling two.

Actually, that IS what I do.
0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3
Something I should have included in my first post but didn't think about until now...I know it can be tempting to run straight into the market and download all the fun apps you have been hearing about (that's what I did), but it is much safer to download only one or two ay a time. Most apps in the market are fairly safe, but there are some goose eggs out there that can cause some real havoc on your phone. If you take it slow and spend some time playing around with a new app before downloading a new one, on the off chance your phone goes wonky, you'll have a better idea what caused it, can uninstall that app, and reboot, them hopefully things will be back to normal. About six months ago I ran into this issue where one of two apps I downloaded (no I don't remember what they were) completely locked up my phone and I had to do a battery pull and restart to even be able to uninstall. After another reboot, my phone was fine like nothing ever happened.
0 Likes
thatgirlg

Thx! Great idea. You must have been reading my mind! I was really excited to start doing this. Thank you for the heads up. Glad you caught me before I did it! LOL! Thanks again.

THANKS to everyone for their help and advice! Hope you all have a great day!

0 Likes