Unlimited Plan throttled and punishment for overage
funkyd71

Yes, I have read the fine print, previous entries, and understand that even with my grandfathered "Unlimited" broadband plan, Verizon will throttle back my speed when I go over 5gb.

Here is what angers me.  Being a loyal VZW customer for over 9 years, with 5 phone lines and a broadband package, I am getting punished for my overage.   Last month I went over my 5gb on the 13th.  My billing cycle date is the 22nd, which is when usage is reset.  Common sense would dictate that the speed gets reset too.  No, VZW stated that my speed is throttled back for 4 weeks from the date of going over.  So I have to wait until November 10th to have my speed back up which is over half way through my billing cycle.  I emailed the NW regional President and her assistant replied, that they do not do anything about it.  It's the way it is.

Does anyone know any ideas to be able to track usage in real time?  Does usage change depending on what internet browser used?  Is there a minimum speed to be considered broadband?

I am even more frustrated since I found this out after upgrading to MIFI.  If I happen to go over my "unlimited" 5gb plan again, I might get punished even longer and never get back up to speed.

P.S.  Do they throttle the data plans for smartphones too?

Thanks,

0 Likes
Re: Unlimited Plan throttled and punishment for overage
Not applicable
You can download and install the free NetMeter software.
0 Likes
toots2022

I know the feeling about going over your usage. My problem is that when I connect to VZM Manager  the usage box is suppose to come up and tell you where you are at, mine will not show the web page so I don't know unless I log into the Verizon Wireless home page.  I have no problem there, except it it very inconvenient sometimes, and you are using your usage to get on Verizon.

I have a suggestion for Verizon - When a customer is getting close to being over, Verizon can send an email to let them know and then the customer has an option to buy and extra 1G or what ever they think they need, for a small extra one time fee for the billing cycle.  So that way the customer will not get a big surprise at the end of the billing cycle (mine was $107.00 extra).

They do not have a larger plan then the 5G for the broadband device.  Now a days people are on the internet a lot more then previous years.  Some people are working 2nd jobs from there computers at home besides just enjoy internet entertainment.  It would just make since to have an extra 1G available if needed - this would be like an ala-cart option.

Just a thought!!!!!!

0 Likes
ibanez737
Contributor - Level 1

funkyd71 wrote:

Yes, I have read the fine print, previous entries, and understand that even with my grandfathered "Unlimited" broadband plan, Verizon will throttle back my speed when I go over 5gb.

Here is what angers me.  Being a loyal VZW customer for over 9 years, with 5 phone lines and a broadband package, I am getting punished for my overage.   Last month I went over my 5gb on the 13th.  My billing cycle date is the 22nd, which is when usage is reset.  Common sense would dictate that the speed gets reset too.  No, VZW stated that my speed is throttled back for 4 weeks from the date of going over.  So I have to wait until November 10th to have my speed back up which is over half way through my billing cycle.  I emailed the NW regional President and her assistant replied, that they do not do anything about it.  It's the way it is.

Does anyone know any ideas to be able to track usage in real time?  Does usage change depending on what internet browser used?  Is there a minimum speed to be considered broadband?

I am even more frustrated since I found this out after upgrading to MIFI.  If I happen to go over my "unlimited" 5gb plan again, I might get punished even longer and never get back up to speed.

P.S.  Do they throttle the data plans for smartphones too?

Thanks,

Unfortunately, that is pretty much the way it is.  When the unlimited plans originally came out, no one was even coming close to 5GBs of usage, so it was really a nonissue.  With the way the internet and media has evolved, obviously speeds and 5GB is a whole different ball game.  They can throttle your usage for the amount of time they listed and they can keep doing it.  Now that you know, all you can do is stay below 5GB.  Also, there are new plans/pricing for MiFi's, so you could get 10GB of usage for $80 and not have to worry as much, or you can even lower to $50 a month for 5GB and save some money. 

Smartphones are not throttled and are truly unlimited.  I know many people in my circle of family and friends that use more than 5GB on a regular basis.

0 Likes
rcurl

toots2022 wrote:

My problem is that when I connect to VZM Manager  the usage box is suppose to come up and tell you where you are at, mine will not show the web page so I don't know unless I log into the Verizon Wireless home page. 

Open VZAccess manager, click on OPTIONS>Preferences and then check the box "Display my usage information on connection"

toots2022 wrote:

I have a suggestion for Verizon - When a customer is getting close to being over, Verizon can send an email to let them know and then the customer has an option to buy and extra 1G or what ever they think they need, for a small extra one time fee for the billing cycle.  So that way the customer will not get a big surprise at the end of the billing cycle (mine was $107.00 extra).

Verizon already sends emails when you have used 25%, 50%, 75%, and 94% of your monthly allocation.  Just look for the emails with "Important Information Regarding your Verizon Wireless Account" on the Subject line.

-Rick

0 Likes
jkse

I am new to the throttling thing. I hadn't realized that they were doing it until recently when they slowed my speed down to 85kbps! You can even check your email at that speed. When we called the tech support they sent us a new MIFI because that was the only reason they could come up with for what was wrong. After we went through all the set up business and the speed was the same the tech support person admitted that we were being penalized for using too much of our unlimited data. We were told it would reset at the beginning of the new billing cycle. From the above posts it appears I will have a long wait to get our speed back.

Is there anything that can be done to get the speed back sooner?

0 Likes
PDCLarry
Contributor - Level 1

jkse wrote:

I am new to the throttling thing. I hadn't realized that they were doing it until recently when they slowed my speed down to 85kbps! You can even check your email at that speed. When we called the tech support they sent us a new MIFI because that was the only reason they could come up with for what was wrong. After we went through all the set up business and the speed was the same the tech support person admitted that we were being penalized for using too much of our unlimited data. We were told it would reset at the beginning of the new billing cycle. From the above posts it appears I will have a long wait to get our speed back.

Is there anything that can be done to get the speed back sooner?

Get a MiFi from a carrier that doesn't throttle and has unlimited data (e.g., Virgin Mobile).

0 Likes
pawdog

Wow 85Kbps would be a throttle up for me.

0 Likes
gatotten

I just got stung for the 5gb overuse......also on an "Unlimited" plan.  The fine print allows Verizon to "protect the web" - in this case throttling me back.  After reading some of these posts, it looks like I need to make sure I am not being charged even tough my use is unlimited.

Tom Tauke wrote in one of his blogs that customers, "should go somewhere else if their not happy"  I hope those who have been screwed by Verizon do just that.  I live in a rural setting and am stuck switch this as my only connection.  They complained about net abuse (over 5gb) and in the same sentence try to upsell for an additional $30 per month.  If it was about protecting the web from data hogging they wouldn't offer an upgrade.  No, it's always about money....and in this case reneging on a contract.  I'll see if they will give me dial up rates until JANUARY 18TH!  That's my "time out " period.

0 Likes
thepres69
Enthusiast - Level 2

Contact Fraud and investigations now... 888-483-7200 and ask them to remove the cap. get their name and post on here.. request a copy of the business policy that says they are limiting access after 5gig... we are working on a class action law suit for strong arm sales tactics...