Re: Being Billed For "Premium Text Messaging"
malevolence
Enthusiast - Level 2

This has happened to me as well. A few months ago. The message hit me twice at 9.99 a pop. This also was the first time I'd ever heard of this. I called Verizon's customer no-service number. They were of no service. I was told that Verizon could do nothing to stop this fraud. I was told that I had to cancel the service and request a refund from the company. The company is: sms4gamecheats.com. Their toll free number is: 877 244 7035. Feel free to spam them. They are criminals and Verizon makes it possible for them to prey on Verizon customers.

I called the toll free number and they promised to refund the charges. They are liars and frauds. Verizon facilitates this by doing NOTHING to prevent it and then doing NOTHING to provide a remedy. Verizon does not care about customers if this is the way they provide service.

I had the premium service blocked. Today I have received numerous more attempts to access my premium text messaging. I have no doubt that if I hadn't had it blocked, I would have been charged for each attempt and Verizon would merely shrug. My contract expires in a little more than a month. Verizon is about to say goodbye to my family and all of my business lines. It is the only way I have to send a message.

0 Likes
Spanky
Contributor - Level 1

as a last note, not only can vzw reps tell you where the charges are coming from, it can be verified whether or not it was initiated via text message or not.

A lot of these services are initiated via a website. (stupid Facebook)  Watch anything online that pops up and wants you to enter your mobile # in order to verify results for something...  it happens all the time, one of the common ones is an IQ test

0 Likes
malevolence
Enthusiast - Level 2

In reply to Spanky, I just called my VZW rep and they pretty much repeated the stuff I already knew from the text message that was used to steal my money. Again, I explained that Verizon is acting as the middleman for crooks by TAKING my money and giving it to a crooked business. And then Verizon is shrugging as if they are clueless. I asked the rep for the identity of the crooks. She merely repeated that it was sms4gamecheats.com and that the toll free number was the same one that I already had. She had no idea what the mailing address was or anything else that would allow me to pay them a visit.

Customer no-service has lived up to its reputation again.

0 Likes
malevolence
Enthusiast - Level 2

In case there's someone from clueless land (aka Verizon), I've managed to find out that the owner of the domain for sms4gamecheats.com is:

Narnin Aleksej
   Email: games@mail.ru
   Organization: Private person
   Address: nopli 18.1
   City: Narva
   State: narva
   ZIP: 10475
   Phone: +372.56676899

It took me about 10 minutes of casual looking. So Verizon is facilitating some crook in Narva, Estonia by acting as his bagman for some internet fraud. Nice.

I have some suggestions on how to solve this situation if any of you clueless Verizon people are reading this.

0 Likes
DaniLove13
Contributor - Level 3

malevolence wrote:

In reply to Spanky, I just called my VZW rep and they pretty much repeated the stuff I already knew from the text message that was used to steal my money. Again, I explained that Verizon is acting as the middleman for crooks by TAKING my money and giving it to a crooked business. And then Verizon is shrugging as if they are clueless. I asked the rep for the identity of the crooks. She merely repeated that it was sms4gamecheats.com and that the toll free number was the same one that I already had. She had no idea what the mailing address was or anything else that would allow me to pay them a visit.

Customer no-service has lived up to its reputation again.

The only info that can be provided about premium sms companies by customer service is name of premium alerts, what they send, 800#, contact email (if available), 5-digit short code and opt out procedures. Premium sms services are third party so VzW doesn't have access to all info about that company.
0 Likes
mamatrueby
I have just been the victim of this also and I have never gone on any website or replied to any text messages. Verizon did give me a phone number though 877-225-1198 and I called that number. It is some Top Logo ringtone company. I spoke with two very rude agents who after I told them I never signed up for anything or responded to any text messages said to me that someone else in my household did it then. I told them there is no one that would have done it - I am a widow and have enough trouble just figuring out how to use my phone without wanting to, or attempting to sign up for anything that is going to cost me additional -- and especially not fancy ringtones! Both of the agents responded that they never believe what the customer says. I do not remember seeing the original message they sent me in April in which I was told I or someone in my household had to have entered that pin number into their website to activate the subscription and now in May my subscription was renewed. They said they could prove that I did this, but I don't know how I can prove that I did not. That is now up to two $9.99 charges. I was able to have them cancel my subscription.I believe this is a scam -- how did they get our telephone numbers (from Verizon?). I was not aware that Verizon could bill me for something from a third party payor.
0 Likes
malevolence
Enthusiast - Level 2

Mamatrueby,

It IS a scam. You have been robbed. Anyone can put ANY cell phone number into one of those scam websites and the service provider will TAKE your money and you can't do anything about it except beg for a refund. Verizon is only one of many service providers who facilitate this kind of theft. The only way you can avoid it is to have the premium messaging service blocked.

The same thing happend to me. I didn't even know there WAS such a thing as premium messaging service. Like you, I sure didn't know that someone could steal money by charging my account and I sure didn't know that Verizon would help them do it.

Like you, when I called customer no-sevice, I was told almost nothing useful. I was informed that Verizon can do nothing to stop this predatory business model (liars) and that the only recourse I had was to call the crooks to demand a refund, LOL. Verizon told me they had no way to address the problem other than to block the premium messaging service.

OK, it's blocked. I called the crooks and they promised a refund. That was in January. I'm still waiting. And I'm still angry as hell.

My advice is to make sure the premium messaging service is blocked and then make a sport of pestering Verizon about this problem. They take the attitude that they have no responsibility and until they feel some pain they will never change.

I used to spam the crooks with repeated calls to their toll free number. I have learned that they will block these attempts after a while so I have to use different phone lines from time to time. I am becoming adept at understanding people who speak with an Indian accent. Cheers.

0 Likes
mamatrueby
I just have to tell you that Verizon said they will credit my account for those two charges -- I will believe it when I see it. This guy kept referring to my inadvertently responding to a text message that initiated these charges - which I know I didn't do . I did start my conversation with the fact that I am very unhappy about Verizon  participating in fraudulant business practices, which I am not sure if that helped me or not. I will be reporting this top log ring tone company to the business bureau also. How in the world do we as consumers put a stop to this type of thing?!?!
0 Likes
malevolence
Enthusiast - Level 2

Mamatrueby,

I'm glad Verizon said they'd credit your account. I suspect that they actually will do that. They have told me that they would note my request for a refund but no action yet.

The problem is that giving us a refund is not a solution and they know it. The solution is that WE should have to opt into services like this with informed consent. As it is, until we are victims of theft, many of us don't even know we have the service, much less use it. It just lies there like time bomb waiting for some internet scam artist to tell Verizon to give them some of our money. I suspect that Verizon derives some revenue from this and even if they don't, the losses of refunding a small fraction of victim's money will be passed on through fees or higher rates.

{keep it relevant}

I'm just hoping that sometime one of these crooks will show up on this side of the pond. I'd like to have a nice chat.

Message Edited by WendyM on 05-21-2009 11:42 PM
0 Likes
jannine
We have the same problem with trying to get info from Verizon about a download, WSRUNNER.  All they can/will tell me is that it is a third party and they have no idea who.  Can I really get that info from a knowledgeable rep?
0 Likes