Tethering
KBrownlee

New to the smart phone world and just got the droid 2.  I got it for 3 reasons, one of those to use it as a dsl device for my desktop to replace my verizon usb dsl.  I have windows xp and have tried several versions of tethering program without luck.

The second question that I have is this, does the usb cable attached to my computer CHARGE my phone at the same time as it is connected as a dsl? If not, then where do I find the correct cable as my local Verizon store where I purchased the droid suggested that I try google.  The third question is how do I connect the droid 2 to my external antenna?

KBrownlee

0 Likes
Re: Tethering
belome
Enthusiast - Level 3

Keep in mind, you only have unlimited data 'on the phone'... you can download apps to fool Verizon into thinking that you are using the data on the phone when in fact its tethered, but it is essentially stealing from Verizon.  If you end up using this for all of your internet activities and you go crazy with the amount of data being used it could throw up a red flag.

Legally tethering limits you to 2 gig of data a month.  Which if you used it for all your internet activities would get used up rather quickly.  The overage rate is $50 a gig which is aburd.

I'm just letting you know this all before you decide to drop your DSL.

0 Likes
ghettocustoms

I too am having problems with the usb cable connect using Droid 2. It promps me to load the Motorola connectivity program, at which it does successfully, but i cant seem to get my computer to recognize the connection.  As i do have everything set up unlimited with Verizon to do so. 

Any answers or thoughts before i have to set on the phone with Verizon?????

0 Likes
belome
Enthusiast - Level 3

ghettocustoms wrote:As i do have everything set up unlimited with Verizon to do so. 

How did you do that?  Do you have a business plan?  I'd more than willing to pay for unlimted teathering or hotspotting... but every plan I've seen limits you to 2GB.

0 Likes
belome
Enthusiast - Level 3

Oh, and make sure you are using your original cord, not a generic one.  Lots of people have had problems with connectivity when not using the OEM cord.

0 Likes
ghettocustoms

Your right ,mine is only 2GB for the "broadband" usage, but i wont use the net that much to go over. As the phone data plan is set to unlimited.....

I am using the OEM cord, and it shows to have connection and is counting the time of connection, but i cant seem to make the computer run off of the Motorola connection to connect to the net. It has done the same thing on 2 different computers.

0 Likes
KBrownlee

Okay, well...after 2 very frustrating visits to the local Verizon stores...I thought that I had an anwser.  But...NOPE!

The second Verizon store told me to visit www.vzam.net to download the driver for my phone.  Perhaps I missed it as a scrolled through three different times, but, the droid 2 is not listed. In fact, the motorola droid, droid x is not listed. 

I am SO very frustrated and mad.  At both verizon stores I was advised to "google" my questions. REALLY? They admitted that they had NEVER tried to tether via a hard wire to a computer.  WiFi yes, tethered with a wire NO.  I will repeat myself, REALLY?  I can't imagine selling something to a customer without knowing the anwser to the direct questions about it's intended use.  I specifically asked how to tether this phone to my DESKTOP without WiFi. I specifically asked how to use this phone to create, edit and send excel files. The anwswers were...you will find it on the phone.  REALLY? Google it? REALLY?

SO, if there are any droid guru's out there that can tell me how to tether my phone to a desktop computer, I would REALLLY, REALLLY, REALLLLLLY appreciated it.

Don't get me wrong, I love the phone.  It is a super neat phone...small computer.  However, the support that I have had from verizon is far below what I have experienced in the past 4 years.

KBrownlee

0 Likes
alikaz

you could try out pdanet, it's an app that you get off the market for your phone, then also install onto your computer. It's very easy to set up:

http://www.junefabrics.com/android/

0 Likes
SGMD1
Enthusiast - Level 3

belome wrote: Legally tethering limits you to 2 gig of data a month.  Which if you used it for all your internet activities would get used up rather quickly.  The overage rate is $50 a gig which is absurd.

Where did you find the 2GB/month figure? I've heard 5GB as a soft limit, but I always thought that was an e-rumor. I've never heard the 2GB/month limit before. I've gone over 2GB/month just using Pandora while driving on long trips. I doubt that figure is accurate...at least for the unlimited data plans.

alikaz wrote: you could try out pdanet, it's an app that you get off the market for your phone, then also install onto your computer. It's very easy to set up:

http://www.junefabrics.com/android/

x2 on PDAnet. Will do exactly what you're looking for.

0 Likes
belome
Enthusiast - Level 3

Keep in mind, I'm talking about when you legally use the Wifi or tether (you actually pay Verizon the $20 bucks for the privelage to do this.)

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/mobilebroadband/?page=products_connect

Wow, they changed it... it used to $50 a gig now its only $20.  Thats better, but still pretty absurd.

0 Likes