WHAT'S THE DIFF BETWEEN VZW LOCATION SERVICES, STANDALONE GPS AND GOOGLE LOCATION SERVIVES???
martygene
Enthusiast - Level 2

There are three options that i can see on the Incredible for location services. VZW, Standalone GPS and Google location services. what are the differences???

0 Likes
Re: WHAT'S THE DIFF BETWEEN VZW LOCATION SERVICES, STANDALONE GPS AND GOOGLE LOCATION SERVIVES???
Ms_Shonta
Contributor - Level 2

-VZW 

Used on the VZW network and select domestic roaming partners.

Location information is assisted by a cellular network while on the VZW network and select domestic roaming partners.

Obtains locations when indoors while on the VZW network.

The time it takes for the network to locate the device is faster while on the VZW network - 2-10 seconds.

-Standard  GPS

Used when off the VZW network and other select domestic roaming partners.

Used when traveling internationally.

Location information is provided by satellites only when off the VZW network and other select domestic roaming partners.

The time it takes for the device to receive a location while traveling internationally is over a minute.

Requires a line-of-sight view to the sky to receive location data. (Does not work indoors.)

-Google Maps Navigation is an internet-connected GPS navigation system with voice guidance

0 Likes
Re: WHAT'S THE DIFF BETWEEN VZW LOCATION SERVICES, STANDALONE GPS AND GOOGLE LOCATION SERVIVES???
martygene
Enthusiast - Level 2

so would i generally use the VZW one on a daily basis??? and turn off the standard GPS one??  does it cost anything other than what is covered by  my data plan??

thanks

0 Likes
Ms_Shonta
Contributor - Level 2

VZW:

One -Day-$2.99 per day (non-recurring).

Seven- Day -$4.99 for 7-day period (non-recurring)

Monthly-$9.99 per month (recurring). One -Day-$2.99 per day (non-recurring).

0 Likes
martygene
Enthusiast - Level 2

well, i guess that i won't be using the VZW Location Services.

0 Likes
Torgo
Enthusiast - Level 3

That last post was not correct.  I believe those charges for VZW that the Verizon employee posted are if you use VZ Navigator (Verizon's own navigation program), not VZW Location Services.  Why anyone would choose VZ Navigator over Google Navigator (which is FREE), is beyond me.

That employee's prior post, where she explained the difference between the various services, seemed correct, though.  To summarize:

1. VZW Location Services:  Uses Verizon cell towers to triangulate your position, pretty accurate.  I don't think it uses additional batteries, because it's relying on the cell signal.

2. GPS:  Uses GPS satellites, should be most accurate but in my experience isn't very reliable unless you're outside.  Eats up batteries, because you're turning on a separate component in the phone.

3. Google Location Services:  Uses a combination of IP address and wi-fi access points to determine your location.  Least accurate, but usually reasonably close, and doesn't require any additional battery use.

I just keep Google Location Services on.

martygene
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks Torgo. now i am not sure if VZW location services is free or not and if or why i would want to use it compared to the Google location services. i probably would only turn on the Standalone GPS services if i wanted to use the trun by turn directions . if i get a chance today i will call VZW and see what they say about the locaton services vs, the VZW navigation service.

0 Likes