Re: Big iPhone/Android Question
punisher85

Well the big concern is this, i don't care for Motorola phones, those things break so easily its not even funny. So it boils down to this, which android phone is almost very similar to the iPhone that i will like? If i get an all touch screen android phone will the screen go out on me easily???

0 Likes
bchild

It would probably be best if you went into a store to get some hands on time with the different Android phones to see which one would better suit your needs. I could suggest a phone or two but that doesn't mean you'll like them.

With that said, try the Droid X or Incredible. If Motorola or HTC is not your preference, try the Samsung Galaxy S line (I think the Verizon one is the Fascinate).

If however, you need it to be like an iPhone, just get an iPhone from the other carrier and get it unlocked and jailbroken. So you can use it like it was meant to be used not the way Stevie wants you to use it...

0 Likes
Joe_Evaristo
Contributor - Level 1

Of the Android phones available, Motorola has the best built quality, and HTC has the lowest build quality (unlike the other poster, I recommend avoiding the Droid Incredible--it has a bunch of known issues, and HTC is poor at responding to product problems--they're inept when it comes to producing and supporting phones).

Samsung is also somewhat decent, but again, they've suffered some bugs that should have been fixed before launch because the issue was known in the same line on other carriers. Really, your best bet is the Motorola Droid 2 or Droid X if you want a great smart phone. While some of their other phones have had a bad history (like the Devour), the Droid 2 and Droid X are high end phones; the build quality is top notch, and Motorola has a staffed community forum to give you advice, help you with support, pass on bug reports and feature requests, etc.

If you want something equivalent to an Iphone, Droid 2 and Droid X by Motorola are your only real choices. If you don't care if the device is a bit less powerful but still a decent smart phone, go with the Samsung Fascinate--just make sure you like Bing as you can't get Google on the phone without tinkering with it. If you just want an intro to smart phones and don't really care much about having the best experience ever, then the LG Ally will probably be fine. Though I'll reiterate only to get an HTC device like the Droid Incredible if you're happiest when your phone doesn't work.

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3
I on the other hand, have very much enjoyed my HTC Eris with next to zero issues whereas my wife's Droid 1 has eaten two m memory cards. She has also nearly lost her battery cover several times because it constantly falls off. My next phone will most likely be either an Incredible or the rumored Incredible HD.
0 Likes
Joe_Evaristo
Contributor - Level 1

That's a rarity. The Eris was retired early because it had so many issues. I had the misfortune of owning one. It doesn't take very long on Google to bump into the laundry list of hardware defects and software bugs with that device, and users commonly reporting the need to have more than 3 refurbs before they got one that kinda worked. Which...is the norm for HTC.

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3
And how many HTC phones have you had that you realized this was the norm. C'mon, dude, he wanted to know how android is better than the iPhone and every time HTC is mentioned, you go on a rant. Oh, and I noticed their BBB rating went from D to F?
0 Likes
Joe_Evaristo
Contributor - Level 1

You can see a poll here: http://androidforums.com/htc-droid-eris/158502-how-many-eri-have-you-gone-through.html The users of that forum are Android enthusiasts--followers of Phandroid news. Only 56% of Eris users who can be called intermediate or above did not need a refurb--that's at least a 44% failure rate (well, really, it's higher when you look at the percent of users needing multiple refurbs).

Additionally, it doesn't take long on Google to see that the Incredible is plagued with similar problems--I've posted about some before. There is a significant hardware problem with their touch screens: http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/14/htc-evo-4g-and-droid-incredible-suffering-from-unresponsive-scre/ And there's a MAJOR privacy issue with stored thumbnails of web history, which can affect banking and other sensitive info: http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/17/droid-incredible-saves-browser-screenshots-to-secret-hiding-plac/

And, yes, HTC has gone down to an F: http://www.bbb.org/western-washington/business-reviews/telephone-equipment-and-systems-dealers/h-t-c... A company does not get an F if they're making products that work, and supporting them when they don't work. If a problem has reached the point of requiring a BBB complaint, the company has already screwed up multiple avenues of appeal. For them to screw up that much often enough to get an F, they're not a good business.

I was burned by HTC, and I'd like to help prevent others from having the same headache. Especially someone new to Android who really doesn't know any better: if their first taste of Android is one of HTC's shoddy products (and really, if they're asking for advice on a board such as this, it's a safe bet they haven't already researched Android and comitted to it, making this a larger problem), then it could turn them off completely to any other Android device.

0 Likes
tony21nv
I had first iPhone and iPhone 3g. I got tired of ATT so was looking for same thing. Took my iPhone to t-mobile and it was ok for a bit but no 3g got old. Was great on calls though so good switch. I got a mytouch with t-mobile and loved it. It was my first HTC and first Android. Not quite my iPhone many differences but different in a good way. since then I have switched to Verizon and got the Droid incredible. it has been running perfect since I unboxed it on release day and still going. my sons both have Eris and have no problems there either. if you are smart on downloading apps and what developers to trust HTC and Android are great. I always want the latest and greatest so I am strongly considering the incredible hd when it comes out. I have also been following the iPhone closely because I loved my iPhone ATT was my problem. what I think I will end up doing is wait for the iPhone 5 in probably june, which won't be an ATT custom to Verizon but instead a phone built to take advantage of any network most likely Verizon lte 4g. both platforms are great and unique in their own way so you should be happy either way but sometimes just being patient is the best way.
0 Likes