Verizon's invasion of privacy.
aughra

why is it that Verizon can force and install of an app that can have access to personal information, messages, email and have the ability to change my sd card????? This is probably illegal. City ID is a forced invasion of my privacy. You have no right or ethical reason to require this information. All apps I download give me the option of not doing so if I don't like what they have access to. But not your City ID. You are tresspassing, and violating my privacy. I think I'll spend some time looking into how to stop this. At the very least I can round up some really bad press for Verizon.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Verizon's invasion of privacy.
budone
Legend

It is not illegal. Where did you get the info it access' all your info and can change info on your SD card?

Just wondering

0 Likes
reallyniceguy
Contributor - Level 3
I think he read the description. As long as you are not using city id you can be safe no info is being sent across. Also well you can always use the advanced task killer to control that. Verizon knows everythin, they know who you call, when you call what you say. If law enforcement wants to read your text messages, subpoena and walla. Wireless devices are not 100% private. be careful what you send from there. Check out the Verizon agreement at the website. It explains everything in deep legal detail. Also check out the FCC website, theres ton of information there that will help your concerns. If city id is all you are worried, you should be fine. Just make sure the tast is killed using advanced task killer.
0 Likes
budone
Legend

reallyniceguy wrote:
I think he read the description. As long as you are not using city id you can be safe no info is being sent across. Also well you can always use the advanced task killer to control that. Verizon knows everythin, they know who you call, when you call what you say. If law enforcement wants to read your text messages, subpoena and walla. Wireless devices are not 100% private. be careful what you send from there. Check out the Verizon agreement at the website. It explains everything in deep legal detail. Also check out the FCC website, theres ton of information there that will help your concerns. If city id is all you are worried, you should be fine. Just make sure the tast is killed using advanced task killer.

ATK attempting over and over to kill that program will kill your battery life in short order. I can force close that program and it is back within seconds.

I say let the program be. There are many other programs on their phone that most likely can 'track' them also.

0 Likes
reallyniceguy
Contributor - Level 3
It only kills it over and over if you have auto kill on. Mine doesnt come back at all... maybe like I mentioned in other posts.. I have the super special edition droid x that doesnt really have the problems most people have? I get 12 hrs battery life full brightness and lots of use. advanced task killer froyo running, auto kill is set to off. (extedned battery of course).
0 Likes
Cluna78

and THAT is why I like being able to make my own apps... I like my privacy and my apps block stuff like that... or you can use the app killer... or make an app to warn you of a forced entry app and eliminate it before it installs.... thought I agree about police needing info about stuff, there SHOULD be a limit to HOW much info ANYONE can get, information is power after all

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

there's no "bad press" to round up. you signed an agreement that clearly outlines that they have the right to do all of this. if you don't like it then next time you sign a contract, read it first, and if you're not cool with it, then don't sign it. they're doing nothing wrong. also...next time you check out a new device, look to see what's already on it. if you don't like the preloaded apps and can't remove them, then don't get that device. however, every smartphone is going to have some and there's always a chance that more will be loaded if you update the device. 

0 Likes
gej1
Contributor - Level 1

IF YOUR ARE NOT HIDING ANYTHING OR YOU AREN'T A CRIMINAL WHATS THE BIG DEAL?

0 Likes
reallyniceguy
Contributor - Level 3
WOAh haha I like that last answer. LOL I think if you want to get legal, its in the terms and conditions that you accepted. Same thing goes for the android market, it gives you a long list of terms and conditions to read before accepting it. Verizon knows EVERYTHING. They know who you call, when you called, probably even what you say. You are renting their network. Its the same thing with tmobile, att, sprint and so on. Its not a Verizon thing. Even the dell streak that people buy unlocked (GSM ANDROID TABLET) comes with preloaded apps.
0 Likes