Data usage $30 vs $45?
futuredoc

I have the $29.99/mo data plan for my Curve.  My Verizon says that this is "unlimited," but I was told that $44.99/mo is actually the unlimited version.  I was also told that the $44.99 was only for "corporate users."

When using applications like youtube and Pandora, I get the warning message "This product will use a large amount of data and you are responsible for all data charges.  Please contact your carrier's customer service to confirm / add an unlimited data plan"

I want to use these applications but I do not want to switch to the $45 plan.

Can someone clarify this for me? 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Data usage $30 vs $45?
SMRyan
Contributor - Level 2

$29.99 is still getting you unlimited usage of the web and e-mail available on your device. It allows you to use personal e-mail account (yahoo, gmail, hotmail, msn, blackberry, etc...)

The 44.99 is intended for use of the enterprise e-mail servers Blackberry provides. Something only useful if you work for a company that streamlines usage of blackberry devices or has an enteprise e-mail system setup.

It is the best route to go with the 29.99, this gives you all access to the application center and downloadables avilable on your device. Apps like vznavigator though would be extra, even with the 44.99.

0 Likes
bigdaddy2009

Yeah the 29.99 is unlimited but for personal use. Internet, email, etc. (even though there is a 5GB cap on all Verizon Data Packages.)

the 44.99 is the business one, that you dont need unless you connect to your business email address and you use if for work.

0 Likes
JerZICE
Enthusiast - Level 2
Thanks for that in depth explanation BigDaddy, considering I wouldn't have any idea how to use it in those ILLEGAL ways I guess I'm more then safe LOL I'm lucky I know how to brows the internet at this point with my BB haha and using it 10 hr.s a day 7 days a week will never happen. Any heavy downloading of files would be done on my home PC anyway so that's cool. Thanks for your time and understandable explanation buddy !
0 Likes
SMRyan
Contributor - Level 2

Would like to clarify on those T&C's 

"The Unlimited Data Plans and Features MAY NOT be used for any other purpose. Examples of prohibited uses include, without limitation, the following: continuous uploading, downloading or streaming of audio or video programming or games; (ii) server devices or host computer applications, including, but not limited to, Web camera posts or broadcasts, automatic data feeds, automated machine–to–machine connections or peer–to–peer (P2P) file sharing; or (iii) as a substitute or backup for private lines or dedicated data connections"

Using the device as a modem is really what this is referring to, where one could easily exceed 5gb by partaking in those...."illegal" activities. (P2P, torrents etc etc) These T&Cs are referring to the Mobile Broadband/Broadbandaccess activity with phones that have such capabilities.

Using your phone for it's inlaid browser, you have nothing to worry about, that is all a part of the data plan and it is unlimited in regards to using the browser on your phone, there is no overage rate or billing cap in these instances

VZW will not cancel your service for using your data plan for it's purpose which is inf act Unlimited for the phone itself. Tethering (using your phone as a broadband modem)and such is again, what these T&Cs are referring to. 

Message Edited by SMRyan on 03-27-2009 12:00 PM
0 Likes
tafoya_sales

Sorry to bring up an old post but i pay the 44.99 for both of my Storms which the rep told me that there was NO other option for a data plan, because I was pretty reluctant in getting the phones cause of that but my  desire overcame me. I just use mine for personal use NOT business man IM GETTING RIPPED A NEW ONE. I do have to say I have been with Sprint for many years before switching to Verizon and man what a difference I just cant stand the constant lying and very poor customer service from Verizon I wish I never would of switched.

Message Edited by tafoya_sales on 04-10-2009 10:24 PM
0 Likes
fiyer411
What about the 1.99 per Megabyte charge?  Does that have anything to do with the $29.99 plan for the Blackberry Storm?
Message Edited by fiyer411 on 05-03-2009 02:27 PM
0 Likes
seabright
Contributor - Level 1
No, the $1.99/megabyte charge is for "regular" cell phones that have no data (VCast) service. Unlike Blackberries and Smartphones, you don't have to buy a data plan with regular phones. However, you can still access the internet and email. Without a plan, you pay a megabyte charge.
0 Likes