GOING OVER THE LIMIT
immystified

I have had the limited "USB" modem for 6 months and all of a sudden last month went over the 5120.  Not by much, but I had never even come close to going over before.  When I checked daily use on the bill there are several days of higher than my normal use.  It didn't take many days of triple and quad  to trigger extra charges.  The time and sites that I use have not significantly changed.

Now, someone tells me that my computer can be running things in the background that I don't even know about.  Someone also mentioned that the little light on the front of my laptop flashes when info is being received. 

Can someone tell me what the heck is happening and how I can stop it.

Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: GOING OVER THE LIMIT
Not applicable
Computers have software that updates in the background on it's own. This includes your Windows operating system, virus protection, and others.
0 Likes
August03
Contributor - Level 3

You can also keep check on your data usage so you can stay within your allowance of data usage. You would go to our site  https://login.verizonwireless.com/amserver/UI/Login     and sign into your My Verizon account online. Once you sign in on that main screen will have a box for usage click on the tab there that shows Data Usage it will then display a green bar showing how far you are with your usage and it will also show you the amount of megabyte usage used.

0 Likes
techismylife
Contributor - Level 1

You can also call verizon directly 800-922-0204, or *611 from your cellphone to check your data usage.  They will check your usage for you.

0 Likes
dEaDpiMp

About Three or Four months I started going over the "data usage limit"   I have canged nothing in my habits and some how my data usage has nearly tripled.   I had 200 to 300 dollar bill.  Anyone else had the problem with this. Something is funny!!

0 Likes
techismylife
Contributor - Level 1

dEaDpiMp wrote:

About Three or Four months I started going over the "data usage limit"   I have canged nothing in my habits and some how my data usage has nearly tripled.   I had 200 to 300 dollar bill.  Anyone else had the problem with this. Something is funny!!

Try to call everyday to verizon and check your data usage, keep in mind that Verizon has a 72 hour delay on some data usage and if your roaming it can be up to 30 day delay.  Also if your going to go over everymonth you might want to look into Virgin Mobil they are unlimited for $49.99 or get another Verizon Wireless Modem.  It is better to $120 a month and have 10GB to play with than to get a bill for $300...

0 Likes
mac47

I finally stopped paying overages and went with Virgin broadband...unlimited usage and only$40 per month. Utube here I come!!!

0 Likes
boogidy

I never even realized there was a limit on the broadband. I have never gone over obviously. However, not this past bill but the one before it was 230 dollars instead of my normal package for 170. Now this bill, which the previous is past due, is a total of $630.00 for my internet and my cell phone. I thought it was me, but I'm not really doing anything different. I can't afford to pay this at all. I have had to suspend my phone and get a cheap-o for the moment and I am afraid to be on the internet too long. What is really going on?

0 Likes
boogidy

Thanks for the advice. What is the start up cost? I am working hard, picking up extra hours and struggling like every other "working" american. But what do I do about the $630 two month bill with Verizon. Dang, its only $145 a line to cut service!!

0 Likes
ibanez737
Contributor - Level 1

I don't get everyone.  However much you think you're not doing anything different, the data IS being used.  There's so many ways to check your usage and VZW is not to blame if you go over.  Theres numerous things your computer could be doing while youre connected, and if you aren't aware of all of them, you probably shouldn't be using a computer or learning more about what they are.

0 Likes