Using Your Phone as a Mobile Hot Spot?
Android_Freak

Can anyone give reviews on how well their phone works at a mobile hot spot or other devices (like a laptop)? Is it a good connection? Anyone have any idea on the range?

Most importantly, how is the connection speeds?

Thanks.

Tags (4)
0 Likes
Re: Using Your Phone as a Mobile Hot Spot?
Android_Freak

bump

0 Likes
CaboWaboMan

I have ordered my X with this option...should have it 9/23 ish...will update you asap after that...:smileyvery-happy:

have been waiting for a phone like this for years...

0 Likes
zebrawolf

Been using it as A HOTSPOT SENCE JULY 18TH , the release date, works good & no troubles as of this date!  I only use it on my laptops so far as I'm traveling this sumer.....

0 Likes
dgalanis

CAUTION!!  There is no data plan for using your phone as a hotspot.... even when you buy "unlimited" data.  When it's being used as a wifi hotspot you pay.  I got my first bill yesterday and it had $250 worth of data usage!!  Even the Verizon rep admitted on the phone it is a huge problem.  Now I need to go buy a wifi card and plan too.  #fail

0 Likes
CaboWaboMan

Excuse my ignorance, but I thought the $20 per month for wifi hotspot specifically covered that, disassociated with the 29.99 for unlimited data and x amount for voice plan.  Can someone from Verizon please clarify this...

Thank You

0 Likes
richflynn17
Enthusiast - Level 1

Here is what the $20 a month for the for the hot spot includes (straigt from my plan's description::

3G Mobile Hotspot

Mobile Broadband Connect and 3G Mobile Hotspot

With Mobile Broadband Connect, you can use your Verizon Wireless 3G Smartphone or BlackBerry as a modem for your notebook when you connect the two using a USB cable, enabling you to access the Internet or your company intranet.

3G Mobile Hotspot will allow select Verizon Wireless 3G Smartphones to act as portable hotspots for up to 5 Wi-Fi enabled notebooks/netbooks, tablet PCs, cameras, media/MP3 players, and PDA,s enabling you to access the Internet or your company intranet.

Includes 2GB/month for data access for high-speed wireless Internet access!

The 2 GB monthly allowance is separate from your monthly 3G Smartphone data feature allowance. Additional usage billed at a per-MB rate. When your smartphone is connected using 3G Mobile Hotspot, all data sent or received by your smartphone (including data sent or received by any Wi-Fi devices connected to it, or by your smartphone itself) will be billed according to your 3G Mobile Hotspot feature, and not according to your smartphone data feature.

3G Mobile Hotspot is available on select 3G Smartphones only.

0 Likes
GeekGuy

Yep...the hotspot is seperate from the data plan.

The data plan is for the phone itself.

The hotspot is so you can share data with other devices.

Simply...why would they allow you to share the bandwidth from Verizon with just anyone without some kind of compensation?  They very well should charge a fee for that.  Bandwidth is not limitless.

0 Likes
CaboWaboMan

Now remember i'm a noob to this so be gentle GG, but isn't that splitting hairs abit?...I mean, when I am using my unlimited data, lets say surfing the web on my phone in my vehicle, how is it different if I am d/l a song on my Ipod or a book on my Kindle thru the phone?...the ability to access the feature I thougt was the 20, but isn't it the same broadband either way as if I put the song on my phone, or the book on my phone using the droid Kindle app?...thx in advance:smileyhappy:

0 Likes
dgalanis

I can agree that they need some additional compensation above the unlimited data ... so why not offer a data plan for it? 

0 Likes