How do I backup contacts to gmail?
JDPB

I am getting a new phone mailed to me, and I want to back up my contacts to gmail so I can put them on my new phone easily, but can't figure out how to do it. I recently set up a gmail account, so it's not used on my phone yet. I can't find what I'm looking for online. Please help!

0 Likes
Re: How do I backup contacts to gmail?
Mike01

If you have an account with Gmail is is automatic when you sync your phone.

0 Likes
JDPB

I just synced the phone to gmail, and when I signed into my gmail from the computer, there are no contacts saved.

0 Likes
Lockup
Enthusiast - Level 3
It is not automatic depending on how the contacts were set up. If you setup a new contact it gives you two options for the type of contact. I am going from memory since I do not have my phone with me so bear with me. The two options are phone or Gmail (something like this). Contacts that you brought into your phone with backexec or something like that do not get set up as Gmail contacts and therefore do not get backed up. The only work around I know of is to export your contacts to your sdcard and then delete all you contacts on the phone. Import the contacts back in from your sdcard and tell it to set them up as a mail contact (or whatever that option is). Then sync to Gmail. This is what I had to do to both my wife’s and my phone since backexec stop working on hers. Depending on how many you have I would be careful and make sure you have a backup of them before delete them from your phone
0 Likes
tbmorris51

Export contacts as a .csv file, and then import into google. 

0 Likes
HappyJackDaddy
Contributor - Level 1

tbmorris51 wrote:

Export contacts as a .csv file, and then import into google. 

I you do that, is your gmail account going to then synch with your phone and end up duplicating all your contacts on the phone, so your phone would have each contact twice?  I'd rather not have to deal with that.

0 Likes
HappyJackDaddy
Contributor - Level 1

Actually, I did the .csv thing and it worked great.  Exported contacts from Backup Assistant on the web into a CSV file and then went into Gmail and imported the file.  No problems at all.

0 Likes
alotonmymind

Yes. That is the best way. Happy jack daddy

0 Likes