What are the Best Non-Smart Phones?
kimbahpnam

I'm switching to Verizon from ATT and I need a new phone, but I'm not going to get a smart phone so what is the best Verizon non-smart phone?  It doesn't matter if it's discontinued or not.  I'm looking for something sleek and thin.  I don't care if it's a touchscreen or not.  TIA

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: What are the Best Non-Smart Phones?
EdW_VZW
Verizon Employee

lorroth1 wrote:

I just called and was told the

Env3 VX9200 requires data plan of 9.99

the ENvTouch VX11000 requires data plan 9.99 or more

No plans needed of LG Dare VX9700 or LGVOyagerVX11000

Thanks to the community members for your input. We do offer many different basic phones available at our website. It is good to have access to a data plan because of the different things that can be done on a phone beside talking and/or texting. I'm giving a link for information regarding our available basic phones along details on our data plans, benefits and good some options. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vereyezuhn
Master - Level 3

kimbahpnam wrote:

I'm switching to Verizon from ATT and I need a new phone, but I'm not going to get a smart phone so what is the best Verizon non-smart phone?  It doesn't matter if it's discontinued or not.  I'm looking for something sleek and thin.  I don't care if it's a touchscreen or not.  TIA

With such an open range you're looking for it's hard to recommend specific phones. Are you going to be using it for texting, just talking, taking pictures...? Are you willing to pay the $9.99 monthly data plan for multimedia phones, or did you want a basic phone with no data plan?

I'm guessing you don't want a flip phone or clamshell because you said you wanted something sleek and thin...

From my personal experience the EnV2 was a great phone for texting and calling. You can get them new or used online from Craigslist and EBay still.

The EnV3 is also good for texting and calling but requires a data plan of $9.99.

The EnV Touch and Chocolate Touch are both good as well, but both require the $9.99 data plan.

If you're willing to buy used online, I know the older discontinued phones are usually good solid ones that last a while, whereas there have been issues reported with the newer phones.

0 Likes
kimbahpnam

I'm specifically looking for a phone that doesn't require a data plan which should narrow the field quite a bit.  Right now I have an Samsung D900 (circa 2006/7) which is a real thin slider with a 3.0MP camera.  I'd like something similar if possible.  It doesn't have to have a QWERTY keyboard.

What are some of the good older/discontinued phones?

0 Likes
vereyezuhn
Master - Level 3

kimbahpnam wrote:

I'm specifically looking for a phone that doesn't require a data plan which should narrow the field quite a bit.  Right now I have an Samsung D900 (circa 2006/7) which is a real thin slider with a 3.0MP camera.  I'd like something similar if possible.  It doesn't have to have a QWERTY keyboard.

The LG Glance is a nice thin phone. It is brick-style and does not require a data plan. It is discontinued.

The Samsung Sway is very similar to the D900, I'm not positive on the data plan requirement but I think it does not need one. It's a slider.

The LG Decoy is also a slider and doesn't need a data plan.

The Samsung Glyde has a full QWERTY and slides open, I am not sure about a data plan for that one.

The Motorola Rizr is a good one as well, I know a few people who still have this type. It's a slider with no data plan.

0 Likes
TheGreatOne
Master - Level 1

kimbahpnam wrote:

These are the phones that I would recommend. The ones that have a * next to them are the phones discontinued.

• Samsung Alias U740*
  • Samsung Intensity
  • LG Cosmos
  • LG Dare*
  • Palm Centro*

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

vereyezuhn wrote:

kimbahpnam wrote:

The LG Glance is a nice thin phone. It is brick-style and does not require a data plan. It is discontinued.

The Samsung Sway is very similar to the D900, I'm not positive on the data plan requirement but I think it does not need one. It's a slider. The Sway does not need a data plan - my son had this phone and he liked it  - it's slim, lightweight, but worked well for him.  Camera is only 1.3 mp though.  Not sure you are going to find more than a 2 mp camera without a data plan.  :smileysad:

The LG Decoy is also a slider and doesn't need a data plan.

The Samsung Glyde has a full QWERTY and slides open, I am not sure about a data plan for that one. No data plan needed for this one either - but this was the one my son traded in for the Sway on his Worry-free guarantee.  He used the Glyde for about 3 days and said NO WAY - traded it for the Sway and was much happier.  The touch screen on the Glyde had a mind of it's own.

The Motorola Rizr is a good one as well, I know a few people who still have this type. It's a slider with no data plan.  This was the first one that came to mind when you said sleek, and wanted a thin slider....RazR is a flip, I think, but it is sleek!

Just my 2 cents.....

0 Likes
kimbahpnam

thanks for the replies....

how about the LG Voyager?  Any idea if that would require a data plan?

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

No, the Voyager does not require a data plan.  That's the phone I have, and I like it very much.  Some have reported problems with it....but I get along with mine just fine.  One of the best phones I've had!  :smileyhappy:  I love the qwerty keyboard - the camera is a 2 mp, but the pictures are decent.  There is no flash, and that would be nice to have sometimes....

0 Likes
kimbahpnam

I think I'm goinging for the Voyager.  I called them to make sure and they confirmed it doesn't require a data plan.

0 Likes
TheGreatOne
Master - Level 1

kimbahpnam wrote:

I think I'm goinging for the Voyager.  I called them to make sure and they confirmed it doesn't require a data plan.

If you are interested, you can read the reviews on the voyager below:

http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/user_reviews.php?phone=1333

0 Likes