droid x wifi send email problems
Bugler88

Moto people and support,

First android phone and first post.  Be kind!  I am having a problem with setting up email on wifi with droid X.  Here's my setup:

I have setup email from gmail, yahoo, and pop3.  All work perfect on 3g.  I will say again.  All work perfect on 3g.  Send receive email, notifications, everything.

Now chapter 2: switch to wifi.  Wifi on.  (WIFI is from home where i have desktop sending and receiving email fine) Here's what I can do.

Browse web pages, wifi says I have internal IP, I have STRONG signal (next to wap), send receive gmail, send receive yahoo.  Here's where it gets sticky on POP account.  Receive on Pop account (brighthouse, RR, TWC), send fails with this error: Authentication error sending.  Here's what I've tried:

changing outgoing port to 25 or 587 same results.

changed secure connection same ports as above.  same results

changed verify certificate same ports as above.  same results.

changed username from full email address to just username. EX: bugler@domain.tld to bugler.  same ports as above.  same results

Switch off wifi.  BLAMO outbox empties.  I have checked with my isp and they do not use authentication at all on their smtp server.

Here's my thoughts.  Droid is sending some kind of authentication on wifi.  some variable is not being changed.

ISP does not have access to give me smtp server logs to see what droid is sending.

ANY AND ALL HELP APPRECIATED.

Thanks,

Bugler

0 Likes
Re: droid x wifi send email problems
caseyr547

hello no its not just you everyone is having wifi problems on the droid x

i called and spent an hour talking to verizon wireless and they couldnt help

they transfered me to motorolla which didnt do anything either

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-general-discussions/16421-wifi-problems-2.html

http://bit.ly/94BgxL

http://community.vzw.com/t5/DROID-X-by-Motorola/Problems-Day-1-are-you-serious-Droid-X/m-p/226457

please fix this quick verizon or motorola or google

0 Likes
speechteach

Yes, having this problem too.  Phone is pretty useless if it can't send email.  Using rr.com.

0 Likes
lewwill
Enthusiast - Level 3

speechteach wrote:

Yes, having this problem too.  Phone is pretty useless if it can't send email.  Using rr.com.

I am also on roadrunner and it does not send or receive email over wifi.  I am in a rural area of NH and I get 2 bars at my house and only intermittent 3G.  If I go to a more populated area with closer towers I get solid 3G. The phone and email work great OTA but not on WiFi.  Is this a roadrunner issue or just the way email works on the phone?

0 Likes
lewwill
Enthusiast - Level 3

speechteach wrote:

I just read the WiFi section in the users guide.  The last paragraph on page 45 states "Use a wireless network for fast internet access and to download data".  Nothing about email.  You can probably go to your ISPs internet page to get your email over the web, such as www.roadrunner.com.  When at home I find it much more convenient to get my email on my computer but some will slip my and get delivered OTA to my X.  If my puter does the "fetch" first it deletes it from the server and I won't get it on my X.  If the X does the OTA fetch first then I get it on my puter also.  Have fetch on both set for 15 minutes.  When I leave the house I turn off my email client (Outlook) and everything comes OTA to the X.  Works fine.

I believe email goes thru the ISPs POP3 and SMTP servers for distribution via cable, etc. not over the Internet per se.  Someone mor knowledgeable may be able to confirm, deny or elaborate on this.  Just my reasoning which has been wrong in the past.  Heh Heh!

0 Likes
speechteach

Here's what I've found:  you can send an email if you have your username and password listed in both incoming and outgoing servier settings -- but *only* if you are on 3G.  You cannot send an email while connected to WiFI (roadrunner internet) because, from what I understand, RR does not use authentication.  If you are on 3G, then you need authentication - which you get when you have your username and password in the incoming and outgoing server settings.

I've also noticed that, when you set up the email account initially, the program automatically populates your email address in the username field of the outgoing server settings.  That makes the connection require authentication - which a RR rep said they do not use.  I've tried deleting the auto-popped email address from username in outgoing settings, but it just resets it when you go back into the setting.

This doesn't make sense and someone (Motorola?  Verizon?) should fix it quickly.  I don't have a need for a dumb "smartphone" that can't send email...

0 Likes
lewwill
Enthusiast - Level 3

speechteach wrote:

Here's what I've found:  you can send an email if you have your username and password listed in both incoming and outgoing servier settings -- but *only* if you are on 3G.  You cannot send an email while connected to WiFI (roadrunner internet) because, from what I understand, RR does not use authentication.  If you are on 3G, then you need authentication - which you get when you have your username and password in the incoming and outgoing server settings.

I've also noticed that, when you set up the email account initially, the program automatically populates your email address in the username field of the outgoing server settings.  That makes the connection require authentication - which a RR rep said they do not use.  I've tried deleting the auto-popped email address from username in outgoing settings, but it just resets it when you go back into the setting.

This doesn't make sense and someone (Motorola?  Verizon?) should fix it quickly.  I don't have a need for a dumb "smartphone" that can't send email...

Thanks for the explanation Speechteach.  That makes sense but not really a big issue for me since I only enable WiFi at home when "playing" with the X or using the Market and Browser features.  For email it works fine on 3G or two bars. I guess it would be nice to get email over WiFi and hope they can get together wilth TW to fix it.

0 Likes
Salnhi

I have a Droid 2 and was having the same problems.  I de-activated my WiFi and all my emails from all of my email accounts went through. 

0 Likes
rmoore1014

FINALLY!!  A honest to goodness RoadRunner fix!  Very simple!

• Check your Outgoing Mail Server setting.
  • Set the Host Name/SMTP setting to mobile-smtp.roadrunner.com.

All there is to it!

0 Likes