Not getting email notifications
keharty

I got my Droid X yesterday, replacing my original Droid. So far I like it but I'm having trouble with email. Gmail works fine and I get notifications when new mail arrives. I also have a sbcglobal (Yahoo) email account that I use for most of my email. I've set it up correctly as I do receive email but I get no notifications when it arrives. I have gone into settings on the email program and set up notifications to show up in the status bar and for the phone to vibrate but nothing happens. I do not want any notification sound. Am I missing something?

0 Likes
Re: Not getting email notifications
Kimberly_Nicole
Contributor - Level 2

keharty wrote:

I got my Droid X yesterday, replacing my original Droid. So far I like it but I'm having trouble with email. Gmail works fine and I get notifications when new mail arrives. I also have a sbcglobal (Yahoo) email account that I use for most of my email. I've set it up correctly as I do receive email but I get no notifications when it arrives. I have gone into settings on the email program and set up notifications to show up in the status bar and for the phone to vibrate but nothing happens. I do not want any notification sound. Am I missing something?

HI.  I understand that you are having issues with your Droid X notifications and I will be happy to look into this for you.   I do see that you did go in to set up the notifications.  When you go into that particular email and go to Menu-Settings-Notifications,  what exactly do you have checked and what options are left in that section?  

Try to program the phone again by dialing *228 option 1 to see if that works. 

Waiting on your reply,

Thanks!

0 Likes
keharty

In the email program I have notifications set:

Notifications is checked

Select Ringtone is set to silent

Vibrate is checked

I do sometimes get a notification that I've received a new email which is really weird as it's not consistent.

0 Likes
Kimberly_Nicole
Contributor - Level 2

Thank you for replying!   I can certainly look into this for you.   I understand completely.  You are receiving some notifications but you are not receiving them all the time.    Try to program your phone again by dialing *228 option 1 on your phone to see if that helps.

If it does not, did you download any type of messaging or email application on your phone?  What applications have you downloaded so far?

Thanks!  :smileywink:

0 Likes
keharty

Kimberly_Nicole wrote:

Thank you for replying!   I can certainly look into this for you.   I understand completely.  You are receiving some notifications but you are not receiving them all the time.    Try to program your phone again by dialing *228 option 1 on your phone to see if that helps.

If it does not, did you download any type of messaging or email application on your phone?  What applications have you downloaded so far?

Thanks!  :smileywink:

I am using the email program that came with the phone. I get notifications for all the other programs that offer them. I have downloaded too many other apps to list here. I'll try the phone program and see what happens.

0 Likes
keharty

I figured out that I'm not getting any notifications of new emails becasue the email program does not check for new email until I"ve opened it. In the email delivery setting I've got "data push" checked and "fetch schedule" is set for 15 minutes. Is there something else I need to set up so it automatically checks for new emails without me having to manually open the program?

0 Likes
Iria

Use the free Gmail Notifier from the Android Market.  It's the only thing I could find to solve the issue when I used a Nexus One.

0 Likes
keharty

Gmail works fine. It's just that the regular email program for non-gmail accounts doesn't automatically check for new mail unless I actually open the app. As most of my emails are not to my gmail account this is a big problem.

0 Likes
Iria

I see, I assumed it was the same gmail notification issue I ran into on the Nexus One.

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3
The way you have it set up should work fine. The stock android email app (for other than gmail) does not push as soon as you get an email, it has to actually "check" your email for you and you set how often it does that. There is a fairly new yahoo app in the market (go to market and search for yahoo) that supposedly pushes to your phone when you get an email. I haven't used it, but if you need your email right when you get it, it might be worth a shot.
0 Likes