Droid Eris - Wrong Network/Location
Ateres

Hello!

For the past week or so, my husband and I (both with DROID Eris') have been having issues with our phone's location.  We live in Panama City, FL, however as of late our location has been showing up as Tallahassee, FL (some 100 miles away), or even just 'Florida' with no city.  This is causing problems with our weather widget, as well as our travel directions.  I thought that when we received the 2.1 Update that this would fix itself, however I just got the update today and am still having the same problems.

I've done several power downs/power ups, and did several searches on the internet, however I cannot find anyone with a solution to our problem.  I turned off the 'Use wireless networks' setting, and ensured the 'Use GPS satellites' is on, but beyond that I'm not sure what I can do.

Any ideas?  If you need more info, please let me know.

Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Droid Eris - Wrong Network/Location
willanaya
Contributor - Level 3

Ateres wrote:

Hello!

For the past week or so, my husband and I (both with DROID Eris') have been having issues with our phone's location.  We live in Panama City, FL, however as of late our location has been showing up as Tallahassee, FL (some 100 miles away), or even just 'Florida' with no city.  This is causing problems with our weather widget, as well as our travel directions.  I thought that when we received the 2.1 Update that this would fix itself, however I just got the update today and am still having the same problems.

I've done several power downs/power ups, and did several searches on the internet, however I cannot find anyone with a solution to our problem.  I turned off the 'Use wireless networks' setting, and ensured the 'Use GPS satellites' is on, but beyond that I'm not sure what I can do.

Any ideas?  If you need more info, please let me know.

Thanks!

you should leave your "use wireless networks" and "gps satellites" option on when using your gps.  having both on will give you a more accurate reading. but try this:

Some people have issues with GPS accuracy, such as showing your location 1000 feet or further away from your actual location, and this can be resolved by following these steps.

1. Download GPS Status from the market (it's free).

2. Make sure your GPS is turned on and open GPS Status.

3. Go to a location where you don't have magnetic devices around you (like electronics of any sort), such as outside (ideal) or room with minimal electronics nearby.

4. Hold your phone in your hand flat. Spin it around 3 times. After that, hold your phone on it's side, spin it around 3 times again. Finally, put your phone right side up (end on end) and spin it 3 more times. You can also do figure 8's, but the spins worked for me.

5. Go to Google Maps and see if your location is closer.

0 Likes
Ateres

Thank you for your response!

I have turned 'Use wireless networks' back on, and have downloaded the app recommended.  I did the turning thing you recommended, however it is still placing me hundreds of miles away from my actual location.

Any other advice? 

0 Likes
willanaya
Contributor - Level 3

Ateres wrote:

I have turned 'Use wireless networks' back on, and have downloaded the app recommended.  I did the turning thing you recommended, however it is still placing me hundreds of miles away from my actual location.

Any other advice? 

when you have your map screen up, press the menu button at the bottom of the phone.

then choose the option "my location", see if that forces it through.  if not, there has to be a google sign up sheet for people having the same problems you are having.  if enough people complain, assuming that the complaint has been submitted to google, then they will move that up their list of priorites and hopefully issue a fix for it.

0 Likes
willanaya
Contributor - Level 3

willanaya wrote:

Ateres wrote:

Any other advice? 

when you have your map screen up, press the menu button at the bottom of the phone.

then choose the option "my location", see if that forces it through.  if not, there has to be a google sign up sheet for people having the same problems you are having.  if enough people complain, assuming that the complaint has been submitted to google, then they will move that up their list of priorites and hopefully issue a fix for it.

if this is all bothering you to the extremes, then you can go to the market, click menu, click downloads, click on the google maps icon, then at the bottom where it normally says "uninstall" it should say "uninstall updates" choose this and revert back to a past update of google maps.

0 Likes
Ateres

Tried that, no avail.  Still showing me not where I'm at.

The frustrating thing is that its been working fine since I got my phone in January.  Its only this past week or so that its gone weird.  So its a Google thing, then?  That's disheartening... would I look under Google Maps for this sheet, or Google Latitude?  My concern is that if there's not a lot of others out there with this problem that I'll be out of luck.

0 Likes
Ateres

I don't know if my problem is necessarily limited to Google Maps; I had the same location issue with Google Sky (that has a feature to set your location manually though, so I was able to bypass it there), as well as the HTC Weather Widget.  The location is permanently set to display the weather at the wrong location, and there doesn't seem to be a feature to override that.

I guess I was just hoping the problem itself could be solved, and not necessarily bypassed.  Like I said, it worked fine for months, its just recently that its acted up.

0 Likes
willanaya
Contributor - Level 3

Ateres wrote:

I don't know if my problem is necessarily limited to Google Maps; I had the same location issue with Google Sky (that has a feature to set your location manually though, so I was able to bypass it there), as well as the HTC Weather Widget.  The location is permanently set to display the weather at the wrong location, and there doesn't seem to be a feature to override that.

I guess I was just hoping the problem itself could be solved, and not necessarily bypassed.  Like I said, it worked fine for months, its just recently that its acted up.

when the motorola droid first came out there were problems left and right.  however, the situation was somewhat corrected with minor updates to address bugs that occurred with updates.

i guess the only thing to do is wait it out until google issues a fix for the problem, which should show up in the market with an update to the google maps file.

sorry for your plight and hopefully its just temporary.

0 Likes
Ateres

Google Maps isn't the only place I'm having the issue in, just the most visible.  Just to make sure I understand, you're saying the issue is solely with Google Maps, and its causing my issues with my other programs?  Sorry to keep banging the drum, I just want to make sure that we're both on the same page, and that I'm understanding correctly.  :smileyhappy:

0 Likes
willanaya
Contributor - Level 3

Ateres wrote:

Google Maps isn't the only place I'm having the issue in, just the most visible.  Just to make sure I understand, you're saying the issue is solely with Google Maps, and its causing my issues with my other programs?  Sorry to keep banging the drum, I just want to make sure that we're both on the same page, and that I'm understanding correctly.  :smileyhappy:

here are others having problems with google maps as well:

Google Maps Problems

and

GPS Problems

0 Likes