Charging battery with phone off
PaulRAnderson

I want to charge my Motorola Adventure V750 phone and have always done so with the phone off.  Now it turns on every time I plug in the charger.

I do not want my phone on.  I want it off like I always have before.  How do I charge my phone without having it turn on?

Paul

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Charging battery with phone off
TheGreatOne
Master - Level 1

PaulRAnderson wrote:

I want to charge my Motorola Adventure V750 phone and have always done so with the phone off.  Now it turns on every time I plug in the charger.

I do not want my phone on.  I want it off like I always have before.  How do I charge my phone without having it turn on?

Paul

That is an odd problem. Have you tried leaving the phone on and plug it in, then turning it off?  Instead of just turning it off right before you plug it in.

0 Likes
PaulRAnderson

The phone has been off for a while when I try this, so it doesn't matter if it's been recently on or not.

If I turn the phone off while it is charging, it just turns back on again.  So the phone is off, I put the charger cord in, it turns on by itself.  I can't keep it off since after turning it off it turns on again.

This never happened before--I always just got the "Battery Charging" message without the phone turning on.

I recently did a software update by dialing *228.  I wonder if that could have anything to do with it.

Paul

0 Likes
TheGreatOne
Master - Level 1

If you did *228 and did option 2, then that would just update your roaming capabilities. I am debating whether it is the battery or phone itself that is the problem. Hard to say. You might want to take your phone to your local Verizon store.Have someone test out the phone there. Ask to have a new battery in the phone & try turning it off while it is being charged.If it stays turned off while charging then you only need a new battery. If it turns back on then most likely the phone itself.

0 Likes
gkamieneski
Enthusiast - Level 3

I wonder if VZW monitors these threads and can jump in?  I was told that this was a known issue and that a firmware upgrade would take care of it.  Finally got around to visiting the Verizon Wireless store, left the phone with the tech, and 1/2 hour later I had the latest software upgrade, ...19P.

Still doesn't fix the problem.  Turn off the phone, plug it in to charge and the phone turns on.  Can't be the most efficient way to charge a device and I never had a Moto behave this way.

This topic is discussed across many forums and I have yet to see a definitive answer to the problem.

0 Likes
gkamieneski
Enthusiast - Level 3

How do we get VZW to listen to this issue?

0 Likes
TheGreatOne
Master - Level 1

gkamieneski wrote:

How do we get VZW to listen to this issue?

There are customer reps that come here on the forums. They answer some peoples questions.

0 Likes
vereyezuhn
Master - Level 3

Can I ask why you want to charge the phone specifically when it's off? I imagine no Verizon reps have answered this because it's not a common issue. I don't think I've ever heard of anyone refusing to charge their phone when it's on.

0 Likes
gkamieneski
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well, apparently it is a "common issue" for the V750.  I have had several Motorolas and all could be charged while off which one would think means quicker, greener charging.  This phone turns itself on from off when you plug in the charger.

0 Likes
TMCP

We have, and have had many cell phones over the past 15 years, and it seems that nearly half of them develop the problem you are having.   Our daughter's Motorola Hint  a year into contract wouldn't charge at all.  Verizon replaced  the phone because it was thought to be the socket where the plug goes into the phone.  Since the phone was replaced, she is still experiencing the problem.  She has no problem charging her phone with a discount  store's universal charger that has several phone's plugs that screw on to the end of the charger.  My husband's Motorola(s) have had that problem at various times.  My three year old LG phone also has that problem.  Sometimes it charges just great when the phone is off and the screen says "battery charging".  Other times plugging the charger in causes the phone to turn on and it is quite apparent that it isn't charging because the little battery icon in the right corner isn't doing anything.  On my LG it also seems to do it more often on certain outlets, but overall it does it at least once on all outlets I've tried. I too have better luck using the universal charger for my phone, but have to fight for it with my daughter.   I've come to the conclusion that it is the charger or adapter or the socket that goes into the phone, that is causing the problem.  Sometimes I can get the Battery Charging logo and then very gently put the phone down on the counter and hear a beep which means the phone quit charging and isn't doing anything. There have been times when I play cat & mouse with my phone's charger for 10-15 minutes until it decides to settle down and do what it's suppose to.  I unplug charger from wall outlet, plug it back in, unplug charger from phone, plug it back in. . . . so on and so on.  Hope this helps and know that you aren't alone.

0 Likes