Transfering Apps to New Phone
y0diggity
Contributor - Level 2

When I get my new phone on Thursday, will I be able to re-download my apps from my current phone to my new one? If so, how does that work?

0 Likes
Re: Transfering Apps to New Phone
TheGreatOne
Master - Level 1

y0diggity wrote:

When I get my new phone on Thursday, will I be able to re-download my apps from my current phone to my new one? If so, how does that work?

I think you'll have to re-download them. Is it a refurbished phone you are getting or just a brand new phone?Just look at your apps on your old phone & re-download them

0 Likes
MrHost
Enthusiast - Level 3
You can back up the app(to your SD Card) in managing apps, and then move your sd card to your new phone and install from there. I believe it will recognize them as purchased because of the additional info on the application. I could be wrong about that. If the market doesn't recognize it as an installed app, then I would contact Verizon and see if they will refund you the cost to repurchase those apps again. They did that for my wife on here Env2 to Env3 or whatever they were number wise. I would try the back up option first, being the easiest.
0 Likes
Gunslngr21
Enthusiast - Level 3

MrHost wrote:
You can back up the app(to your SD Card) in managing apps, and then move your sd card to your new phone and install from there. I believe it will recognize them as purchased because of the additional info on the application. I could be wrong about that. If the market doesn't recognize it as an installed app, then I would contact Verizon and see if they will refund you the cost to repurchase those apps again. They did that for my wife on here Env2 to Env3 or whatever they were number wise. I would try the back up option first, being the easiest.

I heard a VZW tech tell someone that the paid apps are tied to your google account and once you paid for them then they are yours for as long as you are using an android handset. (don't have to pay for them again)

0 Likes
MrHost
Enthusiast - Level 3
We know what alot of people think about VZW Tech and CS don't we. LOL... Hopefully we are wrong about the majority. I would back up just in case, like I said worst case is to call Verizon and ask them for a refund so you can repurchase.
0 Likes
logicman
Contributor - Level 3

@y0diggity - Start using AppBrain. At the AppBrain web site log in with your Google account, sync up then create a new app list and copy the list of  your installed applications into it. When you get the new phone, install AppBrain then go to the AppBrain site and use the list you created to schedule everything you had on your previous phone to be installed on the new one.

0 Likes
MrHost
Enthusiast - Level 3
I had just started a topic about that app, to post your username and link to your list. Pretty cool app. I just got it so I hadn't read into it. Good idea. http://community.vzw.com/t5/Android-Devices/Appbrain/td-p/189742 <-----AppBrain topic
0 Likes
y0diggity
Contributor - Level 2

Yeah, I've been using AppBrain for a while now. My concern is just that I don't want to be charged for the apps I already paid for. I'm upgrading to the new incredible on Thursday and I'd like to be able to use all of my stuff.

0 Likes
logicman
Contributor - Level 3

Since the apps were purchased through your Google account you shouldn't get charged unless the purchases are only valid for the original phone. 

0 Likes
TheGreatOne
Master - Level 1

logicman wrote:

@y0diggity - Start using AppBrain. At the AppBrain web site log in with your Google account, sync up then create a new app list and copy the list of  your installed applications into it. When you get the new phone, install AppBrain then go to the AppBrain site and use the list you created to schedule everything you had on your previous phone to be installed on the new one.

The Kudo's just keep on comin. You learn something new every day. Thanks for the tip.

0 Likes