Re: voice and data simultaneously
fezzik
Contributor - Level 3

I believe Google maps once it has downloaded the map doesn't need the data.  The reason I say that is I started navigation to my in-laws' house when I first got the phone or the imitation car mount or whatever to see how it worked and either made or received 2 calls on the way.  What was annoying was when time came to get directions the creepy robot talked over the person on the call.  I kind of wish it went into pause like the music players and stuff but it will talk right over your conversation if you leave it on for the call.  I haven't tried looking anything up while talking on the phone that just doesn't come up for me. 

0 Likes
muraywed

I am going to try and list this without criticism.

Considering that T Mobile and AT&T both can offer this feature and the fact I appreciate the call quality of my current Verizon phone and service more than my prior 2 service providers I am rather surprised Verizon users can not enjoy this technology.

As a Motorola Droid user, I am happy with my phone as well as my service but would be really nice to do both and never have to go through those few instances where I had to chose between my data and a call from my mom, daughter, son or wife.

Best regards to all

0 Likes
fezzik
Contributor - Level 3

Nothing really to be surprised about.  As has been stated if you have wifi on before you go into a call so probably most of the time you are in a good wifi area or for some they leave it on all the time as they say it doesn't seem to drain the battery enough faster to really notice then it isn't much of an issue.  You just wifi the data and voice the voice and your good.  It was a choice the carriers made as 3G was rolling out.  T-mobile being a German company obviously went GSM.  AT&T was made up of acquired companies but they mostly liked the speed (mostly burst speed) and global nature fo GSM.  Sprint and Verizon both opted for the more stable CDMA technology.  There are advantages and disadvantages to both and these companies all made their choices based on the business models they were shooting for at the time.   LTE is scheduled to start rolling out in the next year or so and will take a couple of years to fully be up but it will level some of this out.  Though it appears Sprint and T-mobile are doing their own thing.  I don't know if they will be rolling out LTE service or if the 4G they are touting now is what they will roll with. 

0 Likes
MrHost
Enthusiast - Level 3

snorkel wrote:

Try this on your droid.

Install pandora and listen to it in your car and see if you get any calls.  Guess what they will go automaticly to voicemail because CDMA can't do voice and data at the same time.

On the iphone when I listen to pandora via my bluetooth enabled car stereo when a call comes in it fades out and I can answer the call, then when I am done it fades back in right where it left off..

There are other areas where this can bite you.  If you plan on never talking on the phone, it's great.

I have to disagree on this one. I receive calls all the time on my phone while listening to pandora and it does as you described. It pauses and I receive the call and then it starts again when the call si done. I do this everyday. Works fine on my Eris. DROID is the issue there.
0 Likes
ksxox10
Contributor - Level 2

MrHost wrote:

snorkel wrote:

Try this on your droid.

Install pandora and listen to it in your car and see if you get any calls.  Guess what they will go automaticly to voicemail because CDMA can't do voice and data at the same time.

On the iphone when I listen to pandora via my bluetooth enabled car stereo when a call comes in it fades out and I can answer the call, then when I am done it fades back in right where it left off..

There are other areas where this can bite you.  If you plan on never talking on the phone, it's great.

I have to disagree on this one. I receive calls all the time on my phone while listening to pandora and it does as you described. It pauses and I receive the call and then it starts again when the call si done. I do this everyday. Works fine on my Eris. DROID is the issue there.

I have a Moto Droid. When I am listening to Pandora and a call comes in, the music pauses and my phone rings. After the call is finished, the music resumes.

0 Likes
Jamhawk

I rely on phone captioning through Hamilton CapTel because of my severe range hearing loss.  At this point that means I can not reliably make a call unless I am using landline CapTel phone or in front of a computer with an internet connection.  In the 21st century both of these options represent significant barriers to communication.  Hamilton CapTel features Mobile CapTel using AT&Its iPhone.  I did not realize until reading this blog that Verizon does not have the capability for voice and data simultaneously.  With Mobile CapTel I would use Bluetooth connection for my hearing aids while seeing the words captioned on the cell phone.  I like the coverage through Verizon but I will have to seriously consider switching carriers since the issue is not as simple as waiting for a phone that is capable of providing voice and data simultaneously.  While Hamilton CapTel features the iPhone they indicate they can use others that have capability for voice and data simultaneously.  If anyone is aware of whether Verizon has a likely solution to this in the next few months I will probably make the switch to another provider.  At some point this may become an ADA (American Disability Act) issue.

0 Likes
VZWRocks

Wrong - When I am listening to Pandora or Slacker on my Droid and I get a call, I get the option to take the call or ignore.  If I take the call, the app pauses and then picks back up when I end the call.

0 Likes
Paleogirl2003
Enthusiast - Level 1
you can do both if you are connected to wifi
0 Likes