Does the MiFi 2200 have to be unplugged to allow more than one computer to have broadband access?
Opal
Enthusiast - Level 2

As far as I can tell, when I plug in the MiFi to my computer via USB, I cannot connect any other computers to the internet. The MiFi has to be connected wirelessly in order to connect the "up to five computers" promised.

So am I really limited to the woefully inadequate battery time of the MiFi device when I want to connect more than one computer to mobile broadband?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Does the MiFi 2200 have to be unplugged to allow more than one computer to have broadband access
Opal
Enthusiast - Level 2

Larry and Rita, thank you for your responses, I appreciate it.

Yes it does work with the wall charger, I should have mentioned I meant when I don't have AC access :smileyhappy:

I did a little more Googling and found a way... a few ways actually. I don't want to go into detail in case there are any issues with it, but it all seems perfectly legit and I'm still paying my $60/month mobile broadband access fee.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Does the MiFi 2200 have to be unplugged to allow more than one computer to have broadband access
larrytheG

plug in the wall charger?

0 Likes
Rita745

Opal wrote:

As far as I can tell, when I plug in the MiFi to my computer via USB, I cannot connect any other computers to the internet. The MiFi has to be connected wirelessly in order to connect the "up to five computers" promised.

So am I really limited to the woefully inadequate battery time of the MiFi device when I want to connect more than one computer to mobile broadband?

Seems kind of **bleep** doesn't it.   You can plug the MiFi into one of the Cradlepoint routers, that allows for at least 16 users and charges the MiFi.  If you need it in a vehicle there are car cords available as well.  Not nearly as tiny as the MiFi, but effective. 

Come to think of it, if you do that, you don't really need the MiFi, any of the USB modems would work.

The MiFI is a very trick little unit, but is awfully limited.

0 Likes
Opal
Enthusiast - Level 2

Larry and Rita, thank you for your responses, I appreciate it.

Yes it does work with the wall charger, I should have mentioned I meant when I don't have AC access :smileyhappy:

I did a little more Googling and found a way... a few ways actually. I don't want to go into detail in case there are any issues with it, but it all seems perfectly legit and I'm still paying my $60/month mobile broadband access fee.

0 Likes
skatingonthinic

When you plug it into the USB it cancels out the router part of it.  You have to have it free from the port in order to connect the other devices.

0 Likes