BlackBerry Curve 8330 Not Charging through wall or car charger -usb/pc will charge though.
ambersun

Ok here we go again (posted about this before and I can't find my previous post -sorry around 11/2009). 

This is my second BB Curve 8330 in 4 months.  Bought my first one and within the month having charging issues w/ data cable and wall charger...they would both work sometime then maybe one or the other and I got fed up...got the wall charger exchanged and the same thing...then went back to store and got phone exchanged....still not quite right, but data cable will charge....ordered car charger some weeks ago and it wont charge the device and neither will the wall charger.  I didn't have time to go into the store so i called b/c  i need my wall and car charger to work or at least one since i'm not around a computer all the time.  i called verizon and they will replace the wall and car charger b/c my device is still charging by the usb cable....in about 2 days when i get them, we will see.

i hope i don't have to exchange my device again...really, but if i do, do i have to get the same phone...don't get me wrong  i love my curve but do i have to get the same model/version again?  i really don't want another one if i will keep having this problem....and yes, i did plug up the wall charger in a different place to make sure it wasn't my home electricity.....fingers crossed...please offer advice/thoughts...thanks.

0 Likes
Re: BlackBerry Curve 8330 Not Charging through wall or car charger -usb/pc will charge though.
Geocritter

This is almost sounding like a software issue more than a charger issue.  If the usb/pc charger is working, then it's letting voltage in.  Shouldn't make any difference what supplies the necessary voltage (for example, a lot of BB folks use motorola chargers as well as blackberry chargers, because they're pretty much the same thing), UNLESS it's just simply SEEING it differently, which would be controlled by software.

Just for the record, have you updated your phone's operating system?  It might be something that Verizon/RIM has already patched and released a fix for.  Most current is 4.5.0.175, and you can check it through the Blackberry Desktop Manager.

0 Likes
Re: BlackBerry Curve 8330 Not Charging through wall or car charger -usb/pc will charge though.
ambersun

Thanks for the response.  I was thinking about updating the software.  I will have to look at my desktop manager software when i get home and see, right now on my phone it's showing v4.5.0.138 through my options menu.  I'm not sure if that's the same that you're talking about.  I will definately go home and make sure I have the latest update.  *I'm surprised the technician I spoke w/ didn't mention anything about software.*  oh well, i know they know their stuff

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Hey,

That is the OS you were looking at.  As the other post mentioned, get the latest download from http://vzw.smithmicro.com/blackberry/ and install according to the directions.  I will tell you this...backup, backup, backup.  It is very important to do this BEFORE you install an OS upgrade.  This will make a copy of your contacts, calendar, etc.  You can backup through Blackberry Desktop Manager.  By the way, the wireless upgrade option will probably show in the Options on your device.  I highly recommend not using this method to upgrade an OS.  It can be a disaster if your Wireless connection is broken during download and installation.

Doc

0 Likes
ambersun

Thanks so much - I will definately back it up tonight and install the updates through my pc and see what happens!

0 Likes
jnestell
Contributor - Level 2

I have seen a couple times now where one of the charging cables will actually damage the USB port on the phone itself and by bending some of the pins.  What is interesting about this is that it made a couple of the charging options i.e. data cable, wall charger, useless, the car charger worked just fine. 

I would look at the USB port just to make sure none of the pins are bent upwards.  If they are, then you have a bad connection with one of the charging devices and is damaging the phone.

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Hi,

I agree with jnestell.  It could be part of the problem.  One workaround if a USB port is bad is to get a charging cradle or dock as they are called.  You can charge your device with that just as well as with the USB port. 

Doc

0 Likes
ambersun

This actually sounds logical....will definately check it out-thanks!

0 Likes
ambersun

I've thought about a charging cradle, I'll see - thanks!

0 Likes
Geocritter

I thought the docking cradles for the 8330 still utilized the usb side port?  I've seen one that is basically just a stand with a cable coming out of it that you plug into the usb port on your phone, and then another that the phone kind of slips into sideways, which still plugs in that same port.   So I don't see what would be gained, really, unless I'm missing something.  Now, some of the docks DO have a battery charger, where you can put a spare (or take out your battery in use) and charge it that way, as well as the usb thing.

I think it's a good idea to check the port, but I don't really see how pins could get all bent up and work for one charger and not another, since there's generally only 1 +dc, and 1 -dc pin.  If either of those gets buggered up, then it doesn't seem that ANY charger would work.  However, maybe there's something I don't know about (entirely possible). 

Since he's changed units, charging cables, etc in different combinations...I dunno, it just seems unlikely to me that a "bad" cable would immediately damage a port, without something being very obviously visible.  Again, I admit that I could be wrong...I'm just saying that it doesn't seem reasonable to me.

My money is still on software.  He's got .138; so there is an update.  AND indeed, backup backup BACKUP.

0 Likes