Which phone is right for me
TwinCircuits

Been thinking about getting a Droid because I like the featurs.  However I'm not sure it is really right for me because I'm sitting in front of a computer at least 12 hours a day that is connected to the internet through a broadband connection. (Not that I can just go anywhere I want for at least 8 of those hours.)

I don't Facebook or tweet right now or IM.  However I do like to TXT and occationallly would like to get on the internet with my phone to check weather or other things but would rather spend the money for a flat rate bundle than to pay / MB.

Any suggestions on the phone I should get?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Which phone is right for me
willanaya
Contributor - Level 3

TwinCircuits wrote:

Been thinking about getting a Droid because I like the featurs.  However I'm not sure it is really right for me because I'm sitting in front of a computer at least 12 hours a day that is connected to the internet through a broadband connection. (Not that I can just go anywhere I want for at least 8 of those hours.)

I don't Faceable or tweet right now or IM.  However I do like to TXT and occasionally would like to get on the internet with my phone to check weather or other things but would rather spend the money for a flat rate bundle than to pay / MB.

Any suggestions on the phone I should get?

the droid may not be right for you unless you require specific apps that might be useful for your day to day life.

i use to have the enV3.  this phone was perfect for texting and what you described up above.  plus the plans that came for the device were fairly cheap.

with the droid, you do have to pay for a data package ($29.99) on top of your minute plan.  Are you ready to pay for that without coming back on this board to rant about why Verizon has to charge a separate data plan package when they don't do it for the other dumb phones? (i don't mean to sound crass, but when this phone first came out, i swear it was thread after thread complaining about such things)

you should read supitsmike's sticky at the top of the Android forum, it will provide insight for people looking for the switch.  but also, could you list what sort of things you are looking for besides what you described up above?  any particular application you would like to use to make your work life and social life better?

0 Likes
seabright
Contributor - Level 1

I love my Droid. However, based on your description of your needs, if I were a sales person, I'd steer you toward something else. I agree with the previous poster that the EnV3 is a great phone. It does require a data package but for that phone you can get the $9.99 25 mg service. There are weather apps you can download to that phone that are very useful. I used Weatherbug on my EnV2 and loved it. It's a great texting phone, too.

If you don't want to be required to buy any data package at all, the Samsung Intensity is a nice little phone with a slide out full keyboard that's great for texting. You can still download apps on to the phone, including weather apps. You just have to pay $1.99 per megabyte for any data use. The weather apps don't use huge amounts of data.

If you don't buy a smartphone of some kind, be sure to download Backup Assistant on to your phone (or have your sales rep do it for you before leaving the store). It will back up your phone numbers. It's a lifesaver if your phone is lost, stolen or destroyed.

What ever you do, I'd suggest that you go to a Verizon Wireless Store (even if you later decide to buy on line) and spend some time playing with a variety of phones. Only you will know if the keyboard feels right or the print on the screen is big enough, etc. VZW has a $35 restocking fee so you want to try to get it right the first time.

Best of luck.

0 Likes
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

I'm on my old BlackBerry right now, but I owned an enV3 for a week last month and am getting a Droid sometime in the next few months.

If you have never had a smart phone, you might be perfectly happy with the enV3 (provided you get one that doesn't randomly shut off). It's a great little phone, and if I were not coming from a BlackBerry, I would have loved it. However, if you do ever plan to browse the web, doing it on that thing is an exercise in frustration. You have to navigate a web page line by line using the circular toggle.

In my opinion, there is way more value in the $30 unlimited data plan -- free apps, games, great browsing, streaming radio, chat -- than in the $10 data plan. But, like a previous poster said, there are many people who get smart phones, then come on here and complain that they don't want to pay for data.

I see you already have an enV, so if you want to try something new, I say go for either one! You have 30 days to change your mind. I have never paid a restocking fee. Order your phone online, then mail it  back if it doesn't work. This means return, don't exchange.

Good luck deciding!

0 Likes
TwinCircuits

Humm....   Free aps, Games, streaming Radio and Chat.... 

OK....   I'm a BIG Gamer.....   I might have to check this out if they are free. (for the $30/month data package)  I'm sure there are many that are not free but it might be worth a closer look. 

Streaming radio!!!  That's something I never heard of...  (OK, I don't get out much.)

Is there a web site that you could point me to that shows all the stuff you can get for the Droid?  Or do you have to have the Droid before this area becomes unlocked for you?

0 Likes
TwinCircuits

I'm sure there is the enhanced calendar app which allows you to sync your E-Mail / Calendar with outlook. But is there also a note app to where you could basically write a note on the screen with either a stylist or your finger and then either convert it to Text to be saved or leave it as is for a note later?

If so, can you save these entries (converted text ones....) to be searched for later?

0 Likes
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

I think Android is MADE for gaming. There are tons of free games ... way, way more than I get for my BlackBerry. Check out AndroLib . com (library). Since I don't yet have an Android, I'm not sure how this differs from Android Market, but I typed in "Snake" under games, for example, and got multiple pages of free Snake games.

Internet radio is nice too. I have iheartradio, but you can get Slacker or Pandora. All free. But you HAVE to have unlimited data for this, or you will have a HUGE bill.

So basically, once I figured in the cost of buying a few games a month, and weighed what I got for my money, I stuck with the $30 plan. If worse came to worse, and you ever got in a spot where you didn't want to pay that, even after the 30 days, you can always downgrade your plan, go back to an old phone and sell your smart phone.

Do what's right for you though. If I didn't have a smart phone, I'd get so much more other stuff done. Like talk to my husband. Just kidding.

0 Likes