Re: How fix severe battery drain since 7.1.1 update?
CholinMS
Enthusiast - Level 3

The most drastic changes to the battery percentage are during the reboots, but even without rebooting I have seen my phone or from 100% when plugged in to 60% in less that 5 minutes.

For the factory reset I did perform one but did not see a change in battery life afterwords like others have seen.

To add to the issue I just got back from lunch where my phone was plugged into my car charger for an hour, the battery was at 95% at that time. I sat down at my desk and 10 minutes later it was reporting 63%. I rebooted the phone and when it came back online was reporting 73%, without being plugged in. Less than a minute later the phone died and would not start again until I plugged it into my USB cable plugged into my computer. As soon as it was online again the battery percentage was at 30% and is currently charging.

I have also noticed that there are times where the phone will flicker continuously from charging to not charging when plugged into a computer and the computer sees continuous connection and disconnects from the phone. I have not noticed this issue when plugged into the original power cable though.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

CholinMS, we want to be sure your phone is properly holding a charge, especially in this day and age. Since you have the performed the factory reset, did you restore all your information right away after the reset? As for the charging issue, please use the charging cable that came with the device and plugging it into an outlet instead of using a vehicle charger or computer. We recommend leaving it charging overnight to ensure it receives the proper charge it needs.

StevenM_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
MADMAXMUTT
Enthusiast - Level 3

I think the Verizon answers must be automated replies. It is like they don't even read, or cannot comprehend what is being stated by their customers in this (and other) 9 pages of issues. The answers all start out with some feel good condescending fake sympathy, and then proceed to provide nothing of substance to resolve issues with these particular phones. This is clearly a systemic problem that is dragging on and will force many to purchase new phones.

CholinMS
Enthusiast - Level 3

I charge every night using the original cable. The other chargers are to keep the phone alive throughout the day. Sometimes it will last 4-6 hours, others less than half an hour.

As for restoring my data, a good chunk of it had to go back on immediately as I use the phone for my work and need access to many of the systems remotely. So I can't go without many of my applications.

I do know that my battery goes much faster when I play a game but that is to be expected and if the game is fully closed out it should not effect my battery life. If an application or game that I have not opened is able to drain the battery then there are other issues with the Operating system than we currently know about.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

scphil, having a battery that you can rely on is important. The details you have provided are extremely helpful. I understand you have been experiencing a shorter than expected battery life, when did this start happening? The following resource provides recommendations you can try in order to extend battery life. https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-205213/. After you have reviewed these steps, please let us know if it is effective in extending your battery life. 

LorenzoP_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

MADMAXMUTT, no fake sympathy here at all. The battery has to work, hands-down. I combed the thread and found a point made by MrDondo in post #48. Have you tried the suggested step of disabling then re-enabling “Google Play Services” in your app manager? What were your results? Please keep us posted.

GeorgeS_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the “Correct Answer” button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
MADMAXMUTT
Enthusiast - Level 3

vzw_customer_support​ As you probably also read, that function seems to be locked by Verizon on Google Play Services. If you care to unlock it for me on my kid's phone, I would be happy to perform that step. I have cleared the cache and all data related to Google Play Services, though.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

cholinMS, I appreciate those additional details. I would like to obtain a closer look at what your phone is reporting as the source of the drain. Accordingly, when the device does drop significantly during a short time frame, please take a screenshot of the usage screen under Settings>Battery>Use since last full charge and post it in this thread.  

EbonyR_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
CholinMS
Enthusiast - Level 3

I saw this just after getting back from lunch and my phone was at 89%. I took a screen shot of that point in time for the battery:

2018-05-07 13.18.07.png

I then took another screenshot about 5 minutes later:

2018-05-07 13.39.54.png

About 15 minutes after that I took another screenshot:

2018-05-07 13.47.30.png

And I was able to take a final screenshot 5-10 minutes later:

2018-05-07 13.53.20.png

After this last screenshot my phone lasted maybe 5 minutes before it died at around 37% battery left by the % at the top of my screen.

As you can see from the "Use since last full charge" section of my lest post I only had about 7% battery usage. Also after the phone died I could not restart it as the phone said the battery was at 0%, but after plugging it into my computer (The only charger I have available at the office right now) my phone jumped from 0% to 15% immediately after plugging it in.

Hopefully this gives you the information you were looking for.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

MADMAXMUTT, I apologize for any confusion. We aren't trying to remove Google Play Service. Can you please provide a screen shot of what you see when you get to the final step of the provided process?

MelissaP_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes