Re: Where is January 2018 Android Security Patch for Galaxy S8/S8+?
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader
Tidbits
Legend

Verizon doesn't do the software and never has.  A lot of these tech sites keep thinking of the days of brew, but Android is nothing like brew, and OEMs are not going to be handing proprietary code to anyone.  Much like how MS does not.

So it was delayed due to a problem and it will be fixed and continue to be pushed out.  If you want better support I suggest we do what Asia and Europe have been doing instead of what we've been doing the past 8 years.  Their way seems to be working and ours has not.

0 Likes
TheS1R
Contributor - Level 2

I am not complaining about Oreo being delayed to address issues, but rather that rather that security patches to the current baseline are being ignored with the promise that Oreo is coming soon...

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

TheS1R wrote:

I am not complaining about Oreo being delayed to address issues, but rather that rather that security patches to the current baseline are being ignored with the promise that Oreo is coming soon...

That would be up to Samsung on how it is done.  If they are pushing it out with Oreo then how asking Verizon going to help with the issue?  This is where the disconnect is happening because carriers has no power like people think they have.

0 Likes
TheS1R
Contributor - Level 2

VZW still maintains that they must "test" vendor firmware before it is pushed out to customers.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

TheS1R wrote:

VZW still maintains that they must "test" vendor firmware before it is pushed out to customers.

How are they going to test the firmware if nothing is submitted?  People are expect Verizon to touch code or they even have the power to touch code, but it has been proven even by Google they do nothing of the sort.

0 Likes
TheS1R
Contributor - Level 2

"2-3 weeks" has come and gone with no Oreo release. My Galaxy S6 (Corporate-issued phone) was updated again yesterday, including the February 2018 security updates for Android 7.x.

0 Likes
TheS1R
Contributor - Level 2

New update pushed out overnight, but it is NOT Oreo:

Software Version: NRD90M.G955USQS2BRB1

Android® Security Patch Level: 2018-02-01, including Spectre and Meltdown security patches

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I am a consumer too, and I sincerely understand your desire to have the latest software version available installed on your phone, TheS1R. I want to set the right expectations for software updates. We do not have any information about when any phone will get any specific software update. We will push software updates as soon as they are ready.

I apologize if any of our representatives mentioned a 2 to 3 week time frame for a specific software update for your phone.

AntonioC_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes